• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

Great stuff tb. The analyst in me wants to take your table and correct for inflation, calculate the NPV by discounting by the bond rate etc etc, but I think the picture is still pretty clear.

tb--

It is great to see the facts for what we always discussed--the Duck Bubble led to such high prices that late buyers almost certainly took losses if they tried to turn their books too quickly. On the other hand, as a result of the price crash, almost all buyers since 2010 were able to resell at a profit. My hope is that the real collectors are buying now at good prices and will be able to hold and enjoy their books for a long time.

I always like when these analyses agree with common sense. When the duck books were going for astronomical prices I thought, "This makes no sense, these can't be real collectors."

I had a similar experience in 2005. The house across the street sold for twice what I had paid for mine only two years before and a similar thought occured, "This makes no sense, that house isn't worth that."

If more people listened to those little thought baloons; bubbles would not occur so often. Human nature being what it is that is not likely to occur. It does lead to buying opportunities for those with more rational instincts.

Thanks for the analyses TB. It looks like it is time to be on the hunt for my few remaining Four Colors!

Great stuff. Thanks for posting it.

One interesting thing pops out at me: Beginning with 2007, flipping within the year results in a larger gain (or, for 2008, smaller loss) than buying and selling the next year or later. Not sure how to interpret that result, though. hm

With CBG shutting down this week, I thought I'd post this book which I bought from Harley Yee in 1992. I was living in Denmark at the time and remember how exciting it was to receive the thick CBG issue each week and go through the ads. It is the only book I have left from the collection that I assembled in the early 1990s before I left to study and eventually work in the US.

133593.jpg.04110f23754ba9abc84508f7543d2a80.jpg

Edited by tb

Thanks. A young couple came into the store the week after Christmas. They were moving to Houston from Denver. They had bought a house in Denver and there were 300 Disney comics in the basement. Apparently they had tried to sell them to a local shop up there and had no luck because they weren't "superhero" comics. Well that shop's loss was my gain. Just beautiful books with killer white pages and tons of color and gloss. The only negative was that most of the books were subscription copies of WDC&S. Really pretty, but creased. I pulled and kept some because they were just so nice.

mickeymousefc157.jpg