• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

Scarpa dreamed for all his life to become an animator. He was a lover of the long animated features, and found himself doing the comics simply because in Italy there weren’t venues for producing massive animated works.

Here’s a 1982 animated sequence fully drawn and animated by Scarpa that he produced for an italian Mickey Mouse TV program, "Topolino Show", which shows most of the landmark characters together with some other one less known to the US audience:

In particular, the girl duck with the boombox is Paperetta Yè Yè, a beat girl duck character created in the late 1960s (which is the nephew of Glittering Goldie, and this shows all Scarpa's love for Barks), and Brutus, a baby crow which is Ellsworth’s adopted son. And there‘s the Phantom Blot, too… :cloud9:

That is a neat little feature. Look in the background of the introduction as it scrolls across the landscape and you can see the Money Bin!

After Barks there was no one in the US to carry on the fine tradition of the Disney characters in comics so the offerings were slim. An occasional glimmer of hope left the Disney Animation studio like Mickey's A Christmas Carol but the US output was slim to non-existent.

Some of the Mickey Mouse books in the sixties were somewhat interesting and oddly enough I always thought Super Goof was a fun book but the fine tradition of quality new Disney comics was pretty much over by 1970 when I started collecting. Of course that is what made the hunt for the old material so much fun and so interesting.

I recall when I first saw "Mickey‘s Christmas Carol", and I also recall I read on the newspapers about the fact it was the very first Mickey-featured cartoon in a long time. Again, it was a thing really unthinkable for an italian child reader accustomed to so much Disney goodness.

There is to say that Super-Goof was created in the states, and so it‘s inevitably influenced as a reaction to the dominating super-hero genre. There is a number of good italian Super-Goof stories, and also a number produced by italian artists for the Disney Studio and destined to international audiences.

In one of those, "Super-Pippo e i pirati della laguna" Scarpa pays homage to his native Venice:

it_at_0141g_001.jpg

http://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=S+68063

Basically, the italian viewpoint was not biased (neither for good or for bad) towards super-hero characters, so they weren’t a problem, as introducing them in a Disney context was a natural process.

On the contrary, Paperinik (Donald Duck’s alter ego) was created by Guido Martina as a parody/homage to italian famous thief character, Diabolik, and it’s a sort of "anti-hero", a modern Robin Hood: when Donald turns into Paperinik he takes his revenge over those (like Gladstone or Uncle Scrooge) which often despise him in his efforts. It’s a really clever character, but unfortunately in the 1990s it has been steered towards an unapt "superhero" sort of thing, very un-Disney. You see the consequences of that in the recently published BOOM comics which feature an entire ensemble of "super-heroes": I have discovered those are recent italian-produced stories… :sorry:

I recall when I first saw "Mickey‘s Christmas Carol", and I also recall I read on the newspapers about the fact it was the very first Mickey-featured cartoon in a long time. Again, it was a thing really unthinkable for an italian child reader accustomed to so much Disney goodness.

There is to say that Super-Goof was created in the states, and so it‘s inevitably influenced as a reaction to the dominating super-hero genre. There is a number of good italian Super-Goof stories, and also a number produced by italian artists for the Disney Studio and destined to international audiences.

In one of those, "Super-Pippo e i pirati della laguna" Scarpa pays homage to his native Venice:

it_at_0141g_001.jpg

http://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=S+68063

Basically, the italian viewpoint was not biased (neither for good or for bad) towards super-hero characters, so they weren’t a problem, as introducing them in a Disney context was a natural process.

On the contrary, Paperinik (Donald Duck’s alter ego) was created by Guido Martina as a parody/homage to italian famous thief character, Diabolik, and it’s a sort of "anti-hero", a modern Robin Hood: when Donald turns into Paperinik he takes his revenge over those (like Gladstone or Uncle Scrooge) which often despise him in his efforts. It’s a really clever character, but unfortunately in the 1990s it has been steered towards an unapt "superhero" sort of thing, very un-Disney. You see the consequences of that in the recently published BOOM comics which feature an entire ensemble of "super-heroes": I have discovered those are recent italian-produced stories… :sorry:

Those Boom Comics really do nothing for me. I looked at them and had little interest but maybe the kids like than and it gets them to read comics I am all for it.

In the USA there is really no longer an easily accessible path to comics. They are no longer sold in newstands or 7/11's so you have to go to a comic store which of course can bring a certain stigma with it or you at least have to want to go there.

On the other hand Graphic Novels of all manner are now readily available in many locations so you can certainly find that material easily. Not so much in the way of Disney though.

I posted this in the what did you win from Heritage thread but I thought it might be of some interest here. This game just leaves a dirty taste in my mouth.

I think collectors are smart enough to see the pattern and get offended by the multiple resales. It puts enough air of 'scam' into the process that people back away. It is a shame that it is the BW books there are involved since there were plenty of nice collectible copies in the pedigree. I think the biggest question is whether the pedigree will be forever tainted by this and values for all the books will be diminished, or if the books will find decent homes long enough for the stink to pass.

I wish that was the case. In the last Heritage Auction two Barks books that used to be mine sold only to reappear in this auction simply cracked and resubmitted. I do not believe either could have been pressed.

The FC 9 (first Barks Donald Duck) went from being an 8.5 to a 9.0 (and I thought it was a marginal 8.5 to begin with) and sold in the July auction for $7,767.50 where now appearing as 9.0 it went for $9,560 in this auction. I think this is a really weak 9 (the chip out of the upper spine corner alone should have prevented it).

The FC 386 (Uncle Scrooge 1) went from 8.0 to 8.5 (although I thought it was the nicest looking 8.0 in my collection) and it went from $1,015.70 to $1,505 although in fairness I thought the original sale price was very low for such a nice copy of the book.

This was one of a number of reasons I sold off my 450 slabs this year. I just got so sick of CPR and CR and the constant changing of grades on each book (and I was a guy who bought the book not the label but it was still frustrating). I really started to doubt the integrity of some CGC grades.

132061.jpg.5ab4fa8be6db554e0a570b36fe0adf50.jpg

132062.jpg.fad5a8fadf12283dd6c386b737faac2b.jpg

132063.jpg.4b093e83a6bd54ea089224081ed85726.jpg

132064.jpg.ad6d1fa6f1da71ca7c65e6fafe60291c.jpg

Comics are no longer sold at newsstands? This is entirely new to me! :o

Since then, and why?

They are still sold at newsstands but nowhere near at the volume that they used to be.

Ever since the early 1980's and distribution changes that moved comics from the newsstand to comic shops, comics have been diminishing from newsstands.

I posted this in the what did you win from Heritage thread but I thought it might be of some interest here. This game just leaves a dirty taste in my mouth.

While I understand the same feeling (it happens to everyone) not all books change in grade and not all books that change grade go up.

CGC graders are human, and there is money to be made in finding books that look better than the assigned grade. It's no different than finding an undervalued company on the stock market and buying into it before everyone else does. I realize that it doesn't make it sting less but that is the reality of it.

While I understand the same feeling (it happens to everyone) not all books change in grade and not all books that change grade go up.

CGC graders are human, and there is money to be made in finding books that look better than the assigned grade. It's no different than finding an undervalued company on the stock market and buying into it before everyone else does. I realize that it doesn't make it sting less but that is the reality of it.

Roy it wasn't just these two particular books, it is more the whole CR and CPR game that got me frustrated. It was far more annoying for me as a buyer as you'd come across a book you saw a few months ago and now someone was asking way more for it because the number in the corner changed. It was still the same book.

I just got tired of it and in my mind it impacts the integrity of the hobby. I still love comics just I am not longer going to spend $80-100K a year on back issues. I am done for the time being on high dollar and high grade books.

Since then, and why?

They are still sold at newsstands but nowhere near at the volume that they used to be.

Ever since the early 1980's and distribution changes that moved comics from the newsstand to comic shops, comics have been diminishing from newsstands.

Ah, well, then I already knew that. This also happens in Italy, but not because of comic shops (there are few, and many of them does not carry new books). It happens because newsstands are crowded with each and every possible item, or merchandise, which makes difficult to showcase magazines and newspapers. Nonsense.

I just got tired of it and in my mind it impacts the integrity of the hobby. I still love comics just I am not longer going to spend $80-100K a year on back issues. I am done for the time being on high dollar and high grade books.

Well, the prices for high grade USA comics still feel pretty out of this world to me. It has no actual comparision with any country on earth.

As I said many times, while I can feel comfortable holding a book with a value, say, of about 1000-2000 USD, I would feel pretty uncomfortable if that value was determined exclusively by the condition.

On the italian antiquary comics market, a book can be worth a few thousands, but mostly for its rarity, not for its condition. Condition is important, but not the final price determining factor.

Edited by vaillant

Since then, and why?

Ah, well, then I already knew that. This also happens in Italy, but not because of comic shops (there are few, and many of them does not carry new books). It happens because newsstands are crowded with each and every possible item, or merchandise, which makes difficult to showcase magazines and newspapers. Nonsense.

You would be pretty hard pressed to easily locate a traditional store selling comics where I live; and I live in a very dense area. The last few places that seemed to sell have gone out of business in the last few years. You might find Mad or some Archie Digests for sale but that is about it.

As for the stigma (stimata?) I mentioned just watch some Simpsons episodes of Big Bang Theory episodes to see what I mean. It isn't necessarily bad but it certainly tags you as a fanboy. Of course being a fanboy is not what it used to be as it has assumed a level coolness in some circles that never existed. It is somewhat akin to the old computer nerd / computer geek syndrome where now geekdom is somewhat celebrated.

Still the difference is that something that was culturally ubiquitous is now a niche maket demographic identifier. Good or bad, don't know. Just different.

This is interesting, because that kind of stigmatization is entirely gone, in Italy.

It used to persist up to the 1980s, as I was attending secondary school, but that was just because of ignorance of the comic means; comics criticism contributed to showcase comics in a correct way, pointing what was of worth and what’s not.

Of course, with today’s relativism, it is difficult to make the essentiality of criticism acknowledged, but in Italy some people did great work in the 1970s-1990s.

I don’t like the Simpsons, so you’ll forgive me if I don’t watch the episode… :sick:

I think the blockbuster movies have made liking comic characters cool; I just don't think it extends to comic books. Always the case I suppose. Good movies made from good books get seen by many more than read the book!

I see people wearing Batman, spiderman, or Woverine shirts as a fashion statement now days. If you did that when i was young, you would get egg'd and beat up. But, you could wear a disneyland shirt w Donald Duck and the girls thought it was cute. (shrug)

Another purchase from earlier this year.

Regarding the popularity of Disney comics in the US, I think the days of leaning back and slowly watching the value of your collection go up are over. Just a few lurkers can make a huge difference towards keeping the hobby alive if they are willing to share their knowledge, enthusiasm, and photos online.

wdcs26_94.jpg

Another purchase from earlier this year.

Regarding the popularity of Disney comics in the US, I think the days of leaning back and slowly watching the value of your collection go up are over. Just a few lurkers can make a huge difference towards keeping the hobby alive if they are willing to share their knowledge, enthusiasm, and photos online.

wdcs26_94.jpg

Yabba dabba do! that comic looks new but its from 1942

I never collected Walt Disney before, but they appeal to me now that I'm old. I bought my first Barks not long ago. $ I use for my Adventure now has some competition. : )

ìI see people wearing Batman, spiderman, or Woverine shirts as a fashion statement now days. If you did that when i was young, you would get egg'd and beat up. But, you could wear a disneyland shirt w Donald Duck and the girls thought it was cute. (shrug)

This is unbelievable. We have never experienced such a thing in Italy.And Who, supposedly, judged comic books in a way one should be ashamed to read them?

I think the blockbuster movies have made liking comic characters cool; I just don't think it extends to comic books. Always the case I suppose. Good movies made from good books get seen by many more than read the book!

This sounds even more absurd: the 90% of the comic-based movies I have seen were either unrespectful of the comics or mediocre in quality, or both.

So in the US a boy or girl was subject of porejudice if he/she read, and now it’s great if he/she goes to see commercial movies with little to no artistic value?

There must be something wrong.

And what about Walt Disney’s animated features? Walt’s poetics revolved precisely around this issue, i.e. an entertainment for all ages, highly appreciable by everyone.

ìI see people wearing Batman, spiderman, or Woverine shirts as a fashion statement now days. If you did that when i was young, you would get egg'd and beat up. But, you could wear a disneyland shirt w Donald Duck and the girls thought it was cute. (shrug)

This is unbelievable. We have never experienced such a thing in Italy.And Who, supposedly, judged comic books in a way one should be ashamed to read them?

This sounds even more absurd: the 90% of the comic-based movies I have seen were either unrespectful of the comics or mediocre in quality, or both.

So in the US a boy or girl was subject of porejudice if he/she read, and now it’s great if he/she goes to see commercial movies with little to no artistic value?

There must be something wrong.

And what about Walt Disney’s animated features? Walt’s poetics revolved precisely around this issue, i.e. an entertainment for all ages, highly appreciable by everyone.

I can only share my experiences as a youth in the seventies. Things are different now. Remember back then the biggest comic show was attended by hundreds of people maybe the low thousands. Now San Diego attracts hundreds of thousands but the quality of the material they are there to see is very commercial in nature; not necessarily artistic. It's all hard to describe you have to live it!

I know when I visited Europe in 1982 I was blown away to find theaters showing only Donald Duck cartoons in France. Also, the stores that sold Graphic novels completly surprised me. Nothing like this existed in the States at that time.

I was vaguely aware of the Italian comics but did not see too many of them on that trip. Wished I had looked harder but my time in Italy was short.