• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,449 posts in this topic

Pluto has always acted pet like. Don't mix him up with goofy - also a dog.

Thanks. That was my fear but I thought that Pluto did "evolve". Still, the cartooning of Pluto is right on and pleasing plus there's the halo effect that tb mentioned on another cover around DD. Now I'm going to notice that all the time.

tth2: Does the 1930 Bibo and Lang book qualify as a Duck book? I can't find any ducks in it but I don't know where else to post it? It would quickly get lost in one of the Platinum threads...

---

And ft: would it be at all possible to show or tell a bit more about Daffy's first appearance? That's such an over-the-top character and I am curious how he started out?

tth2: Does the 1930 Bibo and Lang book qualify as a Duck book? I can't find any ducks in it but I don't know where else to post it? It would quickly get lost in one of the Platinum threads...

Sure, go for it. thumbsup2.gif

Despite the foxing on the front cover, I was really happy with this copy of the first Disney book (which is very difficult to find in nice shape). It is remarkably flat and glossy and the interior looks like it was hardly ever read. One fun note is the copyright notice on the daily states "by Walter E. Disney Great Britain Rights reserved". Note the 1930 caricature of Walt Disney.

And, yes, it was a beautiful day in Northern California!

mm_bl_0107.jpg

mm_bl_1.jpg

mm_bl_2.jpg

mm_bl_3.jpg

mm_bl_5.jpg

I've never seen that Mickey Mouse book before! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Is the comic art a reprint from the newspapers or is it original to the magazine?

Is the comic art a reprint from the newspapers or is it original to the magazine?

All Floyd Gottfredson? Or early enough for Ub Iwerks?

Not that I'm very good at telling them apart.

Great catch.

Jack

All Floyd Gottfredson? Or early enough for Ub Iwerks?

Not that I'm very good at telling them apart.

The two strips are daily reprints from mid-April 1930. I'll see if I can scan the one on the centerfold (when I get around to scanning another nice new arrival). There are some variations of the book that have a blank space instead of the strip on the back cover but I don't think the experts have figured out which is the first printing(?).

I can't tell whether they are inked by Win Smith or Gottfredson. Iwerks wrote at least the first few weeks in January '30 (which were submitted for syndication) but I don't think he inked any? It must have been right around this time the transition to Gottfredson happened. The gothic theme certainly has the feel of Gottfredson's early stories but I'd need to look it up.

I bought a 1939 Donald Duck Board Game at an estate sale a couple weekends back with this artwork (main image cleaned up in Photoshop). Who can identify the artist? Thanks in advance...

donald.jpg

donald2.jpg

I bought a 1939 Donald Duck Board Game at an estate sale a couple weekends back

Very cool! 893applaud-thumb.gif I love how this thread has brought in such a wide variety of Duck-related stuff.

Who can identify the artist? Thanks in advance...[/img]
I'm guessing Horvath, although the image of donald in the hammock seems a bit Taliaferro. confused-smiley-013.gif

Here's a pretty nice file copy I got recently. It was graded NM for Hake's by David Anderson. Technically, it is probably close to that but it has the usual browning on the interior covers that kills books at CGC. I expect it would get an 8.0 or so if I were to submit it. Although I'd probably lose a few $Ks on this particular book if I were to sell it tomorrow I've been so happy with DA's grading in general that things even out. A considerable fraction of the books I've received have actually been slightly undergraded imho. Since I've been so positive in my reviews of DA's grading over the past few months, I wanted to point out that page quality may be one thing to look out for in his grading.

I think CGC's emphasis on paper quality is a really good thing. 10 years ago, I suspect grading a book like this NM- or NM would have been widely accepted in the market.

fc147_107.jpg

Nice book!

Technically, it is probably close to that but it has the usual browning on the interior covers that kills books at CGC. I expect it would get an 8.0 or so if I were to submit it.

Actually, I don't think CGC penalizes books very much for that at all. Without having the book in hand it's hard to tell if it's browning or just dust shadows.

I think CGC's emphasis on paper quality is a really good thing. 10 years ago, I suspect grading a book like this NM- or NM would have been widely accepted in the market.

CGC only factors paper quality into its structural grade for the very highest grades. Unless the pages were tan or brittle, I don't think it would prevent CGC from giving the book a structural 9.4 grade (assuming that structurally it IS a 9.4).