• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

I only have one duck. Don't zing me, it's from 1980.

Said he posting a US 179 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Another worthless reprint. tongue.gif

Yup. In fact, I'll trade him for it straight up for a copy of the original issue. That can't be a bad deal, can it? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif you fellas crack me up.

Amazing how many of these #179's have popped up since the advent of eBay.

I wonder how the demand might have changed over the years on this issue ?

I've been tracking them on ebay since last summer. They only pop up once about every 6 weeks. They have been surfacing out of Canada, New Zealand, Austrialia. I bought mind from an ebayer in Canada.

Amazing how many of these #179's have popped up since the advent of eBay.

I wonder how the demand might have changed over the years on this issue ?

I've been tracking them on ebay since last summer. They only pop up once about every 6 weeks. They have been surfacing out of Canada, New Zealand, Austrialia. I bought mind from an ebayer in Canada.

yeah, who was it that used to write for Comicbook Marketplace and highlight how incredibly rare this book was?

On the subject of unsustainable prices, I was looking at sales of FC 386 in CGC 9.2:

From GPAnalyis:

(9.2) File Copy - 11,950.00 (1) 11,950.00 - 11,950.00 - Sep 2006

From Morphy Auction's February 2007 sale (not listed at GPAnalysis):

416 4 Color #386 UNCLE SCROOGE #1 1952 CGC 92 $3,450

I'm concerned that results like these could have a negative effect on the supply of quality Duck books. A slow, steady increase in prices would be much healthier for both buyers and sellers long term.

On the subject of unsustainable prices, I was looking at sales of FC 386 in CGC 9.2:

From GPAnalyis:

I'm concerned that results like these could have a negative effect on the supply of quality Duck books. A slow, steady increase in prices would be much healthier for both buyers and sellers long term.

Did tha Scrooge book sell in the end? We went by whatever the Hakes site reported on the final result - let us know and we'll update the results.

From GPAnalyis:

Did tha Scrooge book sell in the end? We went by whatever the Hakes site reported on the final result - let us know and we'll update the results.

It sold - so far as I saw on the website.

tb just seemed to be stating a concern about how collectors react to that type of price volatility.

Edited by adamstrange

A friend of mine was told that the book had sold when he contacted Morphy Auctions after the sale (with a higher offer). I am going by this and the list of results posted at Hake's.

From GPAnalyis:

Holy cow! I clearly need to start tracking Morphy's and Hake's!

That is an extremely aberrrant price. If I had been aware of the auction, I would have been delighted to buy it for that price (and much more). If I were the seller, I would be furious with Morphy for getting such a poor price and then with myself for selling it on such a low-profile venue. If he/she sold it there and not on Heritage to avoid Heritage's higher fees (I have no idea what Morphy's fees are), I would call it a good case of cutting your nose to spite your face.

Is Morphy's owned by Geppi & Co. ?

I am surprised that Steve would allow something like that to go down

considering the investment he has in seeing that Duck books do well.

Whoever was in charge of that auction should be sat down and talked to!

If I was the consignor and got wind of the other auction, I'd go stand

in traffic and hope for a quick end.

Holy cow! I clearly need to start tracking Morphy's and Hake's!

That is an extremely aberrrant price. If I had been aware of the auction, I would have been delighted to buy it for that price (and much more). If I were the seller, I would be furious with Morphy for getting such a poor price and then with myself for selling it on such a low-profile venue. If he/she sold it there and not on Heritage to avoid Heritage's higher fees (I have no idea what Morphy's fees are), I would call it a good case of cutting your nose to spite your face.

Actually, I think it was the $11K price that was way out of (q)whack. My own feeling is that the equilibrium for 9.2 copies over the next couple of years will be around $4-5,000. I think many of the prices that were realized for Duck books at Heritage last year were due to 2-3 collectors paying way more than anyone else would. Especially in the January and August auctions, many second rate books sold for hugely inflated prices. The problem I have is that owners of top books may get unrealistic expectations when they read Heritage's hype or the market reports in the new guide. Personally, I don't think a second copy of FC 386 in 9.4 would break $15,000 and a third might not even bring $10K. The market is developing into a pure lottery for sellers which I think is something every serious collector should be very concerned about.

Btw., thanks GPAnalysis for adding the sale record. Great to see this level of dedication to your product!

Actually, I think it was the $11K price that was way out of (q)whack. My own feeling is that the equilibrium for 9.2 copies over the next couple of years will be around $4-5,000. I think many of the prices that were realized for Duck books at Heritage last year were due to 2-3 collectors paying way more than anyone else would.

A bit ironic coming from you, since it was you and your buddy mhn who started driving prices up a few years ago! poke2.gif

In any event, I'm not sure I completely agree with you. Prior to the 9.2 selling, several 9.0 copies had sold on Heritage in the $2500-$3500 range, if I recall. While I thought $11K for the 9.2 copy was on the high side (which confirmed my decision to sell my 9.4 copy), I think the demand and support for a nice copy is more real and deeper than you make it out to be. I think a nice 9.2 #386 is now at minimum a $6-7K book. If I had been aware of this Morphy's travesty, I can assure you I would have bid at least $7K for the book. HG Duck books used to be cheap, relatively speaking, but I think they have reached a new pricing equilibrium. They may not hit some of the prices seen in the November Heritage auction anytime soon, but they're definitely worth a lot more than they were 2 years ago.

Especially in the January and August auctions, many second rate books sold for hugely inflated prices.

sorry.gif

The problem I have is that owners of top books may get unrealistic expectations when they read Heritage's hype or the market reports in the new guide. Personally, I don't think a second copy of FC 386 in 9.4 would break $15,000 and a third might not even bring $10K. The market is developing into a pure lottery for sellers which I think is something every serious collector should be very concerned about.

With such a thin base of sales, it's always hard to make accurate predictions. But if a 9.4 386 sold for $24K, then there must have been an underbidder willing to pay $20K also, correct? (please, no Heritage conspiracy theories tongue.gif)

A bit ironic coming from you, since it was you and your buddy mhn who started driving prices up a few years ago! poke2.gif

From 2002-2005 the prices increased at a nice, steady pace. I thought that was great since it helped bring more high grade Duck books to the market than I'd ever seen. The market got much more erratic in 2006. My concern is not that prices are going up but that high volatility could scare sellers away and diminish the the supply we've seen in the last few years.

In any event, I'm not sure I completely agree with you. Prior to the 9.2 selling, several 9.0 copies had sold on Heritage in the $2500-$3500 range, if I recall. While I thought $11K for the 9.2 copy was on the high side (which confirmed my decision to sell my 9.4 copy), I think the demand and support for a nice copy is more real and deeper than you make it out to be. I think a nice 9.2 #386 is now at minimum a $6-7K book. If I had been aware of this Morphy's travesty, I can assure you I would have bid at least $7K for the book. HG Duck books used to be cheap, relatively speaking, but I think they have reached a new pricing equilibrium. They may not hit some of the prices seen in the November Heritage auction anytime soon, but they're definitely worth a lot more than they were 2 years ago.

Agreed. I noticed many new names among the winners of thebigloo's recent batch of raw Disney books on eBay. Still, I think prices like the $11K for the 9.2 are unsustainable and damaging for an otherwise healthy market.

Especially in the January and August auctions, many second rate books sold for hugely inflated prices.

sorry.gif

There were many nice books in both auctions. Still, I did not understand most of the prices for the less known books, such as the non-Duck Four Colors in 8.0-9.0 and mid-grade WDC&S.

With such a thin base of sales, it's always hard to make accurate predictions. But if a 9.4 386 sold for $24K, then there must have been an underbidder willing to pay $20K also, correct? (please, no Heritage conspiracy theories tongue.gif)

Yes, these auctions were definitely legit and there must be another buyer out there willing to pay $20K. However, I see the chances that there's a 3rd buyer on the planet who would pay more than $15K as very slim. I would be plesantly surprised if the market indeed can sustain these prices.

Given how the market has developed, I don't expect to be buying many more Duck books myself. I feel that I can get a lot more excitement for my budget in other areas.

I feel that I can get a lot more excitement for my budget in other areas.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif are you going to say original art? did krazykat hijack your account? poke2.gif

Actually, I've become interested in a lot of other areas thanks entirely to the GA board. Don't think it would be smart to tell what I've selected, though. In any case, I'll stop derailing the thread now.