• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

Actually, I've become interested in a lot of other areas thanks entirely to the GA board. Don't think it would be smart to tell what I've selected, though. In any case, I'll stop derailing the thread now.

Please, Lord, let it not be the books I like! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I did not understand most of the prices for the less known books, such as the non-Duck Four Colors in 8.0-9.0

Perhaps some of that was Bullet123 in his quest to put together a complete FC run?

Given how the market has developed, I don't expect to be buying many more Duck books myself. I feel that I can get a lot more excitement for my budget in other areas.

Say it ain't so!

Actually, I've become interested in a lot of other areas thanks entirely to the GA board. Don't think it would be smart to tell what I've selected, though. In any case, I'll stop derailing the thread now.

I hear that high grade books from the 1950s are highly undervalued and incredibly desirable. gossip.gif

I still enjoy thumbing the CBL for its crisp B&W renditions of Barks stories..they really pop out at you...especially the early U$ tales...

How many of you own this set ?

I own the first two. I was thrilled when I bought the set (1987 or so) but then was really bummed when I opened it and found that it was in B&W as I had expected it to be in color. I did read and enjoy them but I haven't gone back and looked in a quite a while as I have the CBL color albums. In general I feel that Barks (and John Stanley) drew their work to be reproduced in color, unlike the EC artists who mostly drew for how their art would look in B&W. Just my opinion.

I have to agree with Adam. I owned a few of the CBL sets but never really got into the b/w format. The new European edition that currently is being published is so much nicer! I really, really hope it will get printed in English as well. Right now, I am waiting like a child before Christmas for the 6th of the 10 sets to arrive in California. It's been 20 years since I read most of these stories and enjoying them in such a luxury format has been a real treat. A neat thing about the new edition is that the stories are published chronologically so that WDCS 31 appears next to FC 9 etc.. The first set had volumes I, XI, and XXI, the second II, XII, and XXII, .... This means that you get stories from 3 different periods with each set and this is a clear improvement compared to both US editions (Another Rainbow and Gladstone). The new sets are around $225 each so the total price will end up being $2,250. I'll try to post a picture once set 6 arrives.

It is not published in English and not distributed in the US. I know of German, Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish editions. These were all limited and at least the Scandinavian ones (print run ~2,000-3,000) were sold out either before or shortly after the first set was published. Don't know about the German(?).

---

Need some more pictures. Here's a bit of research I did when the original art for the Uncle Scrooge 39 cover came up for auction last August (scans taken from Heritage). Note how the editors changed the submitted version - the original is much nicer.

Unfortunately, I ended up as the underbidder (picked the WDC&S 96 cover in the same auction instead).

Original art:

us39_oa.jpg

Published version:

us39_92_s.jpg

tb's composite:

us39_comp_s.jpg

----

Edit:

If the buyer of the original happens to see this, I'd be very interested in hearing from you. My entire collection is currently on public display and I'd love for this fantastic cover to join them. I plan to continue to assemble as many originals as I can and lend them to museum exhibits whenever possible. Personally, I think it is a real shame for pieces like this to be hidden away in private collections: they really belong to the tens of millions of Barks fans around the world and should be available for everyone to see.

Edited by tb

Between Heritage Auction and Morphy's Auctions looks as if Geppi

is unloading a large amount of the Bruce Hamilton Estate into the marketplace as well as some of Geppi's own mid-grade comics.

It will be interesting to see how they are absorbed into the marketplace.

Between Heritage Auction and Morphy's Auctions looks as if Geppi

is unloading a large amount of the Bruce Hamilton Estate into the marketplace as well as some of Geppi's own mid-grade comics.

It will be interesting to see how they are absorbed into the marketplace.

If the sale of the 386 at Morphy's is any indication (and I have no idea if it's Hamilton's book), if I were a Hamilton heir I would sue Geppi if he sells anything else at Morphy's. 27_laughing.gif

Knowing the way Geppi does bizniz, he's probably paying Mrs. Hamilton over time for the entire collection...can you imagine trying to market all of that collection yourself? A full time job, certainly.

The sword cuts both ways, however, there was no one who would buy the entire Hamilton Estate, Mrs. H gets her money, she and the heirs are set as long as

Mr. G. is able to sell the stuff through his many venues.

Steve gets to cherry pick what he wishes to keep and everyone (hopefully) is happy.

Re: Heritage Auction: good to see that the WD FINE ART OF DD is still holding it's value at arouund $1K.

Edited by adams

I was thrilled when I bought the set (1987 or so) but then was really bummed when I opened it and found that it was in B&W as I had expected it to be in color. In general I feel that Barks (and John Stanley) drew their work to be reproduced in color, unlike the EC artists who mostly drew for how their art would look in B&W. Just my opinion.

I have to agree with Adam. I owned a few of the CBL sets but never really got into the b/w format.

I was considering making my foray into Uncle Scrooge comics with the b&w albums, but decided to go with color reprints instead. Last weekend I made a list of reprints of the earliest stories (which were mostly in WDC&S) and started searching for them on eBay. But then I saw Comiclink had a bunch of the original issues from an OO collection. And they went so cheap, I ended up scooping up seven WDC&S issues from 104 to 138.

Looking forward to reading my first Scrooge stories. popcorn.gif

I was considering making my foray into Uncle Scrooge comics with the b&w albums, but decided to go with color reprints instead. Last weekend I made a list of reprints of the earliest stories (which were mostly in WDC&S) and started searching for them on eBay. But then I saw Comiclink had a bunch of the original issues from an OO collection. And they went so cheap, I ended up scooping up seven WDC&S issues from 104 to 138.

Looking forward to reading my first Scrooge stories. popcorn.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif