• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So how does everyone else ship HG comics?

17 posts in this topic

I was searching ebay for some high grade comics to buy & here is a nice high grade Avengers # 52. So what's the chances your comics will get to you in the same shape? Description of sellers shipping. All comics are carefully packed between cardboard in a padded mailer, with "DO NOT BEND" boldy marked on the front. After my experience with the post office & the ever loving"DO NOT BEND", personally if it was me I'd ship high grade books in a box. Cause when it don't fit in your mail box......they put em in there however they can.. Link

I was searching ebay for some high grade comics to buy & here is a nice high grade Avengers # 52. So what's the chances your comics will get to you in the same shape? Description of sellers shipping. All comics are carefully packed between cardboard in a padded mailer, with "DO NOT BEND" boldy marked on the front. After my experience with the post office & the ever loving"DO NOT BEND", personally if it was me I'd ship high grade books in a box. Cause when it don't fit in your mail box......they put em in there however they can.. Link

Box baby! Priority boxes are FREE at the USPS. One CGC or 4 raw books for approximately $5.00 within the CONUS.

If it's a graded comic, I place it in a bubble wrap envelope then place the envelope in a priority box. I then fill the empty spaces in the box with packing peanuts. I've had no problems with this method.

If it's not a graded comic, I become paranoid. I put the comics between two pieces of cardboard and tape all four sides together. I then put the comics in a box with packing peanuts. I then put that box in a larger box and even more peanuts. I know it's overkill, but I want the package to survive someone drop kicking it. You know the post office--stooges.gif

Sometimes a box wont matter if the person is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I got a high grade item that was shipped in a box. The box arrived crushed, mainly because the book was loosely wrapped with crumpled newspaper with a few other peices of crumpled newspaper. The book was damaged....

This is how I send HG raw books: Book is secured & sandwiched between 2 oversized pieces of strong cardboard, then taped on each side. That is put in a tyvex FEDEX bag, which is folded over then taped. This is now put in a padded envelope which is inserted in a priority box with either bubble wrap or packing peanuts.

Good question. There are few things worse than getting a mangled book that would have looked great in your collection IF it had not suffered damage in shipping.

My experience is that with a seller new to you, you never know how your book will be shipped. They might say they will box but won't. You often specifically request and they ignore. Or again reply they will but don't. Or, as mentioned, they box but not securely. Tips: Multiple FBs where buyers note bullet-proof packaging help. Sending lengthy emails about how your postman has destroyed numerous envelopes.

Every once in a while I don't bother asking to box because I assume the dealer is experienced enough to know. Mistake. That will be the package that isn't boxed and goes through hell.

As a seller, I would suggest several lines in the item description describing in detail how you pack and box the book. I really think this helps sales and saves some time answering questions about your mailing habits.

I cut thick cardboard into 8.5 x 11 sheets, then slide the cardboard and the comic into a Magazine size bag, which is then put into a Priority Mail envelope. I very rarely use a box, as I think that's overkill if I have thick cardboard. My buyers tend to like it.

agh. two bad experiences, one involving a nice copy of x-men 32 that got crunched in one corner, the other a charlton horror book that was neatly folded in my mailbox waiting for me on saturday. few things worse than buying a book for seventeen that you could flip for fifty or so just by doing a better job with the description/scans going down the toilet because the shipper doesn't know the difference between sturdy and flimsy cardboard types!

pisser. well, i won't be buying from that tool again.

this is why i always note good shipping practices in ebay feedback! i've gotten some exceedingly well-shipped books...along with the ones that looked like the seller got their kids to pack for them

I would worry more about the fact that he graded that book NM/NM+ raw and the fact that the scan was totally cropped.

I would worry more about the fact that he graded that book NM/NM+ raw and the fact that the scan was totally cropped.

Too true! I always ask for hi res scans of the front AND the back of the book as well. If they have nothing to hide, they will send them to you.

Too many times I've see waterstains or dings that don't show up in a typically good front scan...

Maybe not a NM/NM+, but that seller is pretty good with his grading. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe not a NM/NM+, but that seller is pretty good with his grading. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have no idea. I just get wary when I see a scan cropped up like that, especially so when the grade is above 9.0

I bag & board them, enclose them between two larger pieces of cardboard, taped around the outside. Wrap the cardboard in a little bubble wrap, and then placed in a Priority Mail box with additional styrofoam or paper packing as needed.

If it's a graded comic, I place it in a bubble wrap envelope then place the envelope in a priority box. I then fill the empty spaces in the box with packing peanuts. I've had no problems with this method.

If it's not a graded comic, I become paranoid. I put the comics between two pieces of cardboard and tape all four sides together. I then put the comics in a box with packing peanuts. I then put that box in a larger box and even more peanuts. I know it's overkill, but I want the package to survive someone drop kicking it. You know the post office--stooges.gif

I use the same method for CGC comics. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I cut thick cardboard into 8.5 x 11 sheets, then slide the cardboard and the comic into a Magazine size bag, which is then put into a Priority Mail envelope. I very rarely use a box, as I think that's overkill if I have thick cardboard. My buyers tend to like it.

Perhaps you're using sufficiently (VERY) thick cardboard. Will it pass the drop test- like if dropped from 6 feet onto its corner will it ding the book corner? I prefer the box because the box corner can get mangled and the comic (encased in cardboard inside, or in another smaller box) will be fine.

Also, I assume your final package is of sufficient size to deter the most determined postie from cramming it into a mailbox. Yesterday's priority mail envelope was folded and jammed inside my mailbox. Fortunately, it was an old Overstreet PG. Had it been a comic, it would have been meat. The backups to my regular postman don't give s--- about my mail at all.

Raw books: I put the comic in a 4 mil Mylar with a fullback 42 mil backboard. I Put a piece of paper folded over across the top of the mylar so that the book can't slide out. I then put the mylar between two sheets of thick cardboard and tape it tightly on all four edges. I put the cardboard sandwich into a medium sized FedEx box with crumpled newspaper all around to immobilize the book. I then take a large FedEx box, put a layer of crumpled newspaper at the bottom, slide in the medium sized box (fits snugly all the way around) and put a layer of crumpled newspaper at the top. I seal the large outer FedEx box with extra tape at both ends.

CGC books: Same as raw, only no cardboard sandwich.

Double boxed is the only way to go with any comic worth more than $100. thumbsup2.gif