• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which companies comics are easier to get a high grade with?

7 posts in this topic

General question, between the various comic publishers which companies books are easier to get a high grade with? This basically stems from hearing over the years what cheap paper Marvel tends to use vs the other publishers. So is there any validity based on number of high grades to this.

I would think the company that publishes the grim fairytales books produces a consistent to reach high grade due to the cover stock. when I have done searches for say 9.9s or 10s many of them end up being some version of these books.

this is probably applicable for any publisher using thicker stock though.

Now I just looked and while this is a bad example to use as there are many factors that could skew the data, here are the current books on ebay right now searching using CGC 9.8

by publisher

Dark Horse (416)

DC (4,234)

Gold Key (29)

IDW (380)

Image Comics (2,486)

Marvel (13,322)

Valiant (305)

of all the listings combined Marvel is still almost double that! Now I know that it could be bad listing and there are non Marvel books being coded as such, but something to consider

There are a mad number of variables longer than my arm to consider which are for the most part subjective.

However, I just had a quick look through the census at Walking Dead and ASM from 2010 - 2015. Around 90 issues each. Only at 9.2 - 10, where you could consider someone thinking they have a 9.8 to send in. Both, at times during the run had a comparable number of submissions between these grades. 40 - 80 submissions. I eliminated those way outside this range.

What occurs from the numbers is that ASM during this time had c.0 - 5% 9.2 - 9.6 against 95 - 100% 9.8s

Walking dead had, for the most part, 10 - 40% 9.2 - 9.6 against 60 - 90% 9.8s.

Although Walking Dead had more 9.9 - 10.

So in this case Marvel had the 9.8s more or less spot on, whereas Image had the wider range of grades.

This would need to be done with multiple runs, of multiple publishers to get anything significant. It might also say something about how careful people are when submitting comics of different publishers.

It might very well say something about the paper used. While Marvel might not receive many major defects to drop it below a 9.8, the paper of Image could well, once damaged be much clearer and more significant (it might hold a crease more than Marvel). It could also go the other way, that although sturdier paper is likely to take damage worse, when it hasn't been affected it holds its structure (maybe with less corner rounding?)

So many variables, very little data. Its would be a great stats project if someone had the time or no life (I love stats, but not that much.......unless someone paid me :P ).