• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bad luck on Ebay lately

30 posts in this topic

So, I won an Ebay auction on a Marvel Collectible Classics 1 described to be "an incredible copy, never read, virtually mint". I received it and it has two long unsightly scratches on the front cover. The seller has a return policy so I begin the return process. At first they cordially said to send it back, but today they wrote,

"In addition to my previous message, following is an update. This item was obviously damaged in transit, and since it was fully covered by insurance, I have made a claim. The postal service may want the item delivered to a post office for verification. Ebay Seller Support has recommended waiting up to 3 days to hear about the claim resolution. Thank you for your patience in this matter. "

The book was shipped in a hard plastic case in flat rate Priority envelope and definitely not damaged in transit. Should I refute and provide photos showing no damage to the case or go along with the damage claim?

What do you think the seller's angle is? Thanks for any input and advice.

DSCN0395_zpslljn8ijq.jpg

DSCN0008_zpsluuzjbl2.jpg

In order for the Post Office to approve an insurance claim, at some point they will have to inspect the item and the packaging it came in to determine if they are at fault.

Since the seller(shipper) has initiated the Postal insurance claim, normally you would have to send the book along with the original packing back to the seller so he could then take it to the Post Office for inspection and proceed with his claim.

The only "angle" I can see it that the seller is attempting to proceed with the claim in such a way that it won't involve the added expense of shipping the book/package back to him.

I suspect the 3-day wait is due to the fact that we're heading into the weekend.

I don't see how you would have to worry about being involved in a "fraudulent" insurance claim. You're not the one who initiated the claim. If the Post Office gives you the go-ahead to take it to a local Post Office for inspection, you're merely doing so at the Post Office's direction.

If the Post Office denies that they are responsible for the damage (which they most likely will) then you'll be back to square one with the seller: you received an item that you feel wasn't as the seller described, eBay is going to put the responsibility to make it right on the seller, and at that point doing so through an insurance claim is no longer to be an option.

Push comes to shove, you may have to escalate the case through eBay.

At least, that's my understanding of Postal insurance claims.

Tell him look dude-the damage is on the book, INSIDE the slab. There is no way something passed thru solid matter and damaged the book-please don't waste time with a claim just make things right. Ebay will side with me and I'll end up with the refund. Item was not as described. It is not 'an incredible copy, never read, virtually mint'. And you knew that went you sent it.

You don't and shouldn't have anything to do with the insurance claim. That's between him and the USPS. He is willing to refund you so just wait the 3 days as a courtesy. You may want to buy from this seller again some day so no benefit to you in escalating it. Who knows maybe he didn't even notice the scratch and picked that book out of stack of 100 of that book.

Thanks for all the input. The hard plastic case in the Priority envelope could easily have been cracked in shipping but was not. This time it was not the fault of the USPS.

I plan to respond:

If you want to file a USPS insurance claim, then you, the shipper will need to initiate that process. I must return the book to you regardless of whether you file an insurance claim or not. I can wait three days, but it seems to be wasted time for both of us.

Should I add this or leave it out? "In my opinion, the comic was NOT damaged by the USPS shipping because It was inside the plastic hardcase which had no apparent damage."

The seller's message

In addition to my previous message, following is an update. This item was obviously damaged in transit, and since it was fully covered by insurance, I have made a claim. The postal service may want the item delivered to a post office for verification. Ebay Seller Support has recommended waiting up to 3 days to hear about the claim resolution. Thank you for your patience in this matter.

First part is perfect. As for the second part, leave it out. You know you are right. He knows you are right. But who cares really. Just avoid the potential hassle and get your money back.

Also you have dated evidence of everything here in this thread if it escalates but I doubt it will.

Yes, that was it. The book was at least protected in a hard plastic case that did not get damaged. So, the scratches on the cover were not caused by the Post Office.

The seller is a liar.....unless it's just not showing up for some reason in the photo you took.

From the description in his auction......"New photos posted. Show actual comic... after photos comic went back into millcase."

From one of the photos he posted in his auction:

pic1.jpg

From the photo you posted of the book you received:

pic2.jpg

He pulled the old switcheroo now he's acting like wha-how could this happen? Dang post office.