• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hole Punches in a comic

12 posts in this topic

Don't comics with hole punches always get a green label? I just saw a major key in the sales thread that had hole punches but also had a Blue Label. (I didn't want to post this question over there in case it cast a negative vibe onto his sale).

I guess if the grade is low enough CGC just gives it a blue label?

Don't comics with hole punches always get a green label? I just saw a major key in the sales thread that had hole punches but also had a Blue Label. (I didn't want to post this question over there in case it cast a negative vibe onto his sale).

I guess if the grade is low enough CGC just gives it a blue label?

From my experience, if the grade is low enough, CGC will automatically give the book a blue label, no qualifiers attached except, as in the case of the AF15, a notation that there are binder holes or hole punches through the comic. I had a Hulk 1 last year with a 3 hole punch that grade a blue 1.5; only notation was that there was a 3-hole punch. No green label.

You can request a blue label and take the massive hit that the punched holes would garner.

I'm not sure it took a massive hit. It was the AF15 1.8. I don't think it would have graded higher than a 1.8 even without the holes.

Understood, but if it was a 9.2 AF 15 it would have been a huge hit.

I have this Tec 42 with hole punches through the top. It is a 4.0, but it looks like a 7.0.

tec42cgc40-fc_zpsejmzpoym.jpg

Hole punches in the cover don't seem as bad. That's still a great looking comic (Thank God the holes are right in a line and in a light colored area of the cover instead of scattered all over the place).

But the Af15 1.8 has the holes punched through the entire comic. That's 36 total holes. To me that would put it in "qualified" territory.

I have this Tec 42 with hole punches through the top. It is a 4.0, but it looks like a 7.0.

tec42cgc40-fc_zpsejmzpoym.jpg

Hole punches in the cover don't seem as bad. That's still a great looking comic (Thank God the holes are right in a line and in a light colored area of the cover instead of scattered all over the place).

But the Af15 1.8 has the holes punched through the entire comic. That's 36 total holes. To me that would put it in "qualified" territory.

I definitely see your point if the punches went through the comic. Does anyone have any other pictures of examples that they would be willing to post?

That TEC got hit hard for 5 little holes... If it were a 7.0 otherwise, being docked down to a 4.0 seems harsh.

I know 6.0-6.5 are allowed 1 'major' defect. Perhaps this was viewed as 5 major defects.

I too can't recall seeing a book this high with holes punched into it.

That TEC got hit hard for 5 little holes... If it were a 7.0 otherwise, being docked down to a 4.0 seems harsh.

I know 6.0-6.5 are allowed 1 'major' defect. Perhaps this was viewed as 5 major defects.

I too can't recall seeing a book this high with holes punched into it.

The book definitely looks like a 7.0 in person.