• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC has updated turnaround times!

29 posts in this topic

Again, this is why I only submit on-site anymore. Sure, I don't get a discount. But I get my books back.

I've never been to a con where CGC did on-site grading...so it doesn't work for me. If they were doing on-site grading at Heroes Con I suppose I could wait and get the 25 books I'm about to send in graded on-site there, but I'd rather keep the $300 difference in the grading fees (actually, if there's no 20% discount off the $45 on-site Econ rate it's a whopping $500 difference).

For moderns, the difference is almost irrelevant - $20 vs. $16, plus I get my books back and I can market time. I have a stack of Batman 335s that I want to have ready to go for the week of June 10 - if I trust to the vagaries of the turnaround time, I'll be screwed. By submitting them at Philadelphia, I can guarantee they'll be all set.

Again, this is why I only submit on-site anymore. Sure, I don't get a discount. But I get my books back.

I've never been to a con where CGC did on-site grading...so it doesn't work for me. If they were doing on-site grading at Heroes Con I suppose I could wait and get the 25 books I'm about to send in graded on-site there, but I'd rather keep the $300 difference in the grading fees (actually, if there's no 20% discount off the $45 on-site Econ rate it's a whopping $500 difference).

For moderns, the difference is almost irrelevant - $20 vs. $16, plus I get my books back and I can market time. I have a stack of Batman 335s that I want to have ready to go for the week of June 10 - if I trust to the vagaries of the turnaround time, I'll be screwed. By submitting them at Philadelphia, I can guarantee they'll be all set.

You can get those moderns graded at $12 each if you send 'em in directly ($15 with at least 10 books submitted, minus 20% discount), and if you send them in now they should be back to you well before June 10. But yeah, for moderns it may be a 40% difference in cost, but that only amounts to $8 a pop...

You can get those moderns graded at $12 each if you send 'em in directly ($15 with at least 10 books submitted, minus 20% discount), and if you send them in now they should be back to you well before June 10. But yeah, for moderns it may be a 40% difference in cost, but that only amounts to $8 a pop...

But, see, I'm concerned about the turnaround time, and the book is essentially worthless to me after the Batman movie comes out. Market timing doesn't work if I don't have the book back in time. Same with FF stuff, now that I think about it.

But, see, I'm concerned about the turnaround time, and the book is essentially worthless to me after the Batman movie comes out. Market timing doesn't work if I don't have the book back in time. Same with FF stuff, now that I think about it.

You also have to figure, with on-site, you aren't paying shipping costs there and back as well. So that takes some of the sting out of the price difference as well.

How exactly does onsite grading work?

Do you get your books back right away, or do they still have to go back to Florida and then to you.

The only advantage I see is knowing if the book has resto and the grade without the waiting game.

I know exactly what you mean DONUT. Thats why whenever I hear something coming up like a new movie, I try and get any related books graded. For instance; when I heard a year ago about a new KING KONG movie in the works for this years release, I'm gathering together any KONG books I had worthy for slabbing back then. In time for the movie release. That way your right there for the hype. I did the same when LXG was announced to be a movie. People were paying big for LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTELMEN comics before the movie and I was there selling.

Its ya got ta be in the right place at the right time. For me its all timing.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you get your books back right away, or do they still have to go back to Florida and then to you.

The only advantage I see is knowing if the book has resto and the grade without the waiting game.

You get them back the next day (pick them up at the con). The big issue is that it COST A LOT MORE. Basically the tiers have nothing to do with TURNAROUND, but with Market Value only.

In general, it's going to cost you around $20-30 more per book to get graded. For some books, that makes a lot of sense (i.e. a $250 might make sense to pay the additional $20 but have it back tomorrow instead of 4 months from now). Plus, if you were only submitting a few books to CGC, then the cost of shipping and insurance both ways would probably equal $25-30 so, it probably cost nothing to get the book graded immediately.

But if you had say 50 SA books that were worth $100-150 a piece, to me it wouldn't make sense to pay an EXTRA $20 per BOOK (i.e. an extra thousand dollars), just to get them back right away. I seriously doubt that you could recoup that cost just because of market timing.

Unfortunately, the Economy, Standard, and Modern tier have all slipped backwards since the 3/7 update, we know Burnt's walk-thru's weren't on time, and despite the claim that Express is on time, my CS Express (20 days) are now on at least day 23 with no grade in sight. This continues to be painful... frown.gif

Re; the walk-thru's - i got a call from Gemma and they are issuing a small credit since they weren't able to get to them on time due to the LA Con............(more to come..........)

Quote:

You get them back the next day (pick them up at the con). The big issue is that it COST A LOT MORE. Basically the tiers have nothing to do with TURNAROUND, but with Market Value only.

In general, it's going to cost you around $20-30 more per book to get graded. For some books, that makes a lot of sense (i.e. a $250 might make sense to pay the additional $20 but have it back tomorrow instead of 4 months from now). Plus, if you were only submitting a few books to CGC, then the cost of shipping and insurance both ways would probably equal $25-30 so, it probably cost nothing to get the book graded immediately.

But if you had say 50 SA books that were worth $100-150 a piece, to me it wouldn't make sense to pay an EXTRA $20 per BOOK (i.e. an extra thousand dollars), just to get them back right away. I seriously doubt that you could recoup that cost just because of market timing.

Again, that's for Silver Age books, where I agree with you. You can DEFINITELY make your money back on post-1975 books, as the difference is negligible when the shipping is factored in.