• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do we value 1st appearances so much??

133 posts in this topic

And I'm not just talking the recent movie speculation books but why is AF 15 so much more desirable then Spiderman 1? Does it stem from the sports card market where rookie cards were the ones people wanted but if that is so, why? People do not generally pay crazy money for the 1st piece of art from an artist but instead look for his best piece and pay out the nose for it.

I could understand if the 1st appearance was rare and the second issue on was common but in some cases the 1st appearance is easily gotten while the later appearances are rare and people still pay crazy money for the 1st appearance. Anyone have an opinion why this is?

Interesting question. I think there's a fair comparison to be made between comics and sports cards. In the arena of collectibles, "something" has to be more valuable than other things and a 1st appearance is a better reason than the alternatives.

A bigger question is: Why are the 1st comic book appearances of characters that originally appeared in other media (cough cough BA #12) so sought after? That isn't a true first appearance by definition.

A bigger question is: Why are the 1st comic book appearances of characters that originally appeared in other media (cough cough BA #12) so sought after? That isn't a true first appearance by definition.

Most probably because it is the first time in printed format, so something collectors can actually latch on to as having a limited distribution versus a video that can be repeatedly distributed.

But I agree with the thinking on it not really being her first appearance.

I've never been able to figure out the rookie thing either, although from year to year, all the cards look the same. The stats change, but Bobby Orr is Bobby Orr, no matter what year the card is from. If you're a fan, you get them all. If you just have a passing interest, you get the rookie.

Using that logic, collectors who have a passing interest in a character just get the first appearance (and in the CGC age, don't bother reading it), while real fans get them all?

Because if you are a comic book collector and want to collect the first comic book appearance of Harley Quinn, then you have one choice, BA 12.

Same with the Gold Key Scooby Doo # 1. Same with the United Features Peanuts # 1

Using that logic, collectors who have a passing interest in a character just get the first appearance

And that behavior differentially affects the value of first appearances. But, 1Cool's fundamental question still remains - why is it the first appearance they go after?

Real historical significance?

Psychological bias?

Perceived appreciation potential? (of course, this still wouldn't answer the fundamental question...why would they perceive first appearances to have more appreciation potential, etc.?)

Using that logic, collectors who have a passing interest in a character just get the first appearance

And that behavior differentially affects the value of first appearances. But, 1Cool's fundamental question still remains - why is it the first appearance they go after?

If you're only going to collect one of something, and you're obsessive enough that everything should be the same, the first of something is probably the most appealing.

I would much rather have and pay top dollar for a Silver Surfer 1 or 4 then a FF 48 since I love those two books. I of course seek out FF 48 since they command big bucks but I've always wondered why people care so much about 1st appearance they will debate for hours over Hulk 180/181.

If you're only going to collect one of something, and you're obsessive enough that everything should be the same, the first of something is probably the most appealing.

That ^

Why do book collectors go after 1st editions? Because they're first.

There's always been a compulsion to go after what happened first within the context of that collectibles field. Same with comic book 1st apps. Same with rookie cards.

The rookie card thing is interesting because once upon a time there was really only Topps. If you collected rookie cards, then you had one choice. In the 80s when Fleer and Donruss started producing sets every year, suddenly you have more than one rookie card to pick from.

Good question, in the coin collecting hobby, the first year of issue is often the most affordable coin from a classic series in high grade, examples include 1916 mercury dime and the 1883 liberty nickel- both are very cheap and affordable in AU condition. Key coins are determined by scarcity.

I would much rather have and pay top dollar for a Silver Surfer 1 or 4 then a FF 48 since I love those two books. I of course seek out FF 48 since they command big bucks but I've always wondered why people care so much about 1st appearance they will debate for hours over Hulk 180/181.

For someone who collects comics to not understand why people seek out first appearances is... uh weird. It really is.

Also, comparing FF48 to Hulk 180/181 is not a fair comparison. People seek out FF48 because it's a true first appearance. People seek out Hulk 181 over 180 because it's more valuable. However, 180 is clearly the first time Wolvie appears

might it be tied to the idea that (genericly speaking, yes i know its a massive over simplification of the market) the older something is the more valuable it is? (as in antiques)

thus the OLDEST version of a character is their first appearance? (discounting for pre-first appearances that are related to advertisements)

I find it more interesting why # 1 issues (when not a "key") are worth more than # 2 and # 3 etc. However, it's always been that way in comic book fandom. Look at the 1970s Dr Strange # 1. There's nothing key about it. It's the gazillinth app of Doc Strange and yet, presumably because it's a # 1, it's more sought after and more valuable than subsequent issues. (shrug)

Good question, in the coin collecting hobby, the first year of issue is often the most affordable coin from a classic series in high grade, examples include 1916 mercury dime and the 1883 liberty nickel- both are very cheap and affordable in AU condition. Key coins are determined by scarcity.

And demand right? Without demand, scarcity doesn't result in high value

might it be tied to the idea that (genericly speaking, yes i know its a massive over simplification of the market) the older something is the more valuable it is? (as in antiques)

thus the OLDEST version of a character is their first appearance? (discounting for pre-first appearances that are related to advertisements)

This is probably the most straightforward answer when it comes to the collector mentality older means more valuable. Especially something that is the first of a thing.

This is probably the most straightforward answer when it comes to the collector mentality older means more valuable. Especially something that is the first of a thing.

Where is that 'like' button when you need it?