• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

80 Page Giant - HOM 252 - Grade and Grade Thoughts?

14 posts in this topic

Just discovered these at Wondercon. Am really curious how grading is perceived on these. I know there is leeway on the squarebounds, but this is an 80 Page saddle stitch. Talk about pushing things! Anyway - thoughts on grade and any insights as to leniency being shown to these big folk?

hom-252.jpg

Hey POV, how ya doin?

Sweet book 9.2 sumo.gif Two bindery flaws at the spine corners, two tiny spine ticks at center, and ever-so-slightly indented staples . . . as to leniency? Whadda I know? 27_laughing.gif

hi.gif

Well, even if the spine tears are a production defect. They are still there.

So I would also say 9.2 minimum.

If the tears are not a downgrade ..then 9.4

Ze-

I don't believe there would be much, if any, of a downgrade for those bindery tears. I've had quite a few of the Dollar books slabbed, and have received 9.6's with copies having small bindery tears like this one has. Looks like a 9.2, could be a 9.4 if that's not a cc in the bottom right corner.

I used to hand-select my DC Dollar Comics at a newsstand from the time of the release of the first ones in 1977, so I'm very familiar with how the best copies should look.

Very early Dollar Comics like this one were around 3/8 inch taller than other comics, making the tops susceptible to wear (especially once they hit back issue bins). Your copy has no problem there!

Indented staple areas are very, very common; it's how the books looked right from Sparta. There really should be no deduction (unless there's accompanying signif. tearing/color breakage). As far as the small bindery tears on the spine corners, they were problematic with these, but relatively small, clean tears shouldn't kill the grade. I'll go with a strong 9.2.

I've held this book in my hands and the top left tear is a tad worse than it looks in the scan - which is why I passed on this book devil.gif Still I havent had one graded so I assigned a 8.5 to it, but who knows.

I've held this book in my hands and the top left tear is a tad worse than it looks in the scan - which is why I passed on this book devil.gif Still I havent had one graded so I assigned a 8.5 to it, but who knows.

Well, the scan is about 20% larger than the book itself. So what to say? Paid $14 for it and feel just fine! And no, I did not touch up the corner. tongue.gifhi.gif

nice book Pov--especially for $14!. They are somewhat lenient on the bindery tears, but anything else will be just as strict as a regular book. I think it looks like a 9.0/9.2 to me. No way that will be a 9.4.

I have scans of my CGC Dollar Pages and I saw one of the bindery tears and it still got a 9.6. (but it has the old label so who knows if grading has changed on them since that time)

My restoration lesson came from this same book Christo_pull_hair.gif

Well, the scan is about 20% larger than the book itself. So what to say? Paid $14 for it and feel just fine! And no, I did not touch up the corner. tongue.gifhi.gif

Ya Pov, I know. I gotta stop grading around FFB so much, his rarified air stuff is starting to rub off on me 27_laughing.gif - What an abbraided corner 893whatthe.gif what a POS.