• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CNBC article on comic collecting with interview Bob Storms

41 posts in this topic

You could also add to that ---- nostalgia; being twelve again; a love of history; and, the collector psychology (collecting as a method of control and of being controlled). (thumbs u

I never thought of it like that. Man I am emotionally a mess. :sorry:

Probably important to point out that whatever else the article is it's great to see Bob Storms get some buzz.

^^

Almost everything the man has posted here through the years speaks to a customer-centric mindset. It never seems to waiver and comes across (once again) in that single quote...

"Buyers really need to understand their objectives before investing in comics," said Storms.'

Among all the hype and hucksterism surrounding comics, that's exceedingly rare imho. A collector connecting up with a reliable consistent expert-source that has your back, both buying from and selling to, is going to avoid a lot of marketplace landmines long term.

Most people will only see this from the article.

"All of which means some current and former comic book lovers could be sitting on a gold mine that could easily pay off a mortgage and put their children through school, with plenty to spare."

and not this...

"Investing in comics only makes sense if you know what you're doing, [because] 99 percent of comics have no real value to investors..."

You could also add to that ---- nostalgia; being twelve again; a love of history; and, the collector psychology (collecting as a method of control and of being controlled). (thumbs up)

Plus Marvel developing the continued story from one issue to another kept the anticipation high and having to wait 'till next month seemed like an eternity to a 10 year old kid. Some would argue that Marvel's successful development of the "cliffhanger" as a plot device in comic books became recognized and adapted to other mediums as well. What I find interesting is that this was used in the 1960's Batman TV show, but DC rarely used it in their comic books at the time like Marvel was. [/quote ]

ell, the "cliffhanger" ending is as old as storytelling. Many serialized adventure stories, in the 19th and early 20th centuries perfected the cliffhanger ending as a marketing tool to get readers back next week. Not to mention the movie serials the Marvel creators grew up going to the movies each week to see.

ell, the "cliffhanger" ending is as old as storytelling. Many serialized adventure stories, in the 19th and early 20th centuries perfected the cliffhanger ending as a marketing tool to get readers back next week. Not to mention the movie serials the Marvel creators grew up going to the movies each week to see.

Yeah, but Marvel was really the first comic company to do multi-issue stories with cliff-hanger endings. Maybe this happened in the GA and I'm just not aware of it.

DC was the master of the everything-gets-wrapped-up-in-one-issue story. The only notable multi-issue story lines I can remember were the JSA-JLA stories, which really stood out because DC never did that.

The post I replied to had it the other way, in my reading, Not as you say and I agree, that Marvel was co-opting a well used storytelling technique first in comics, but rather that Marvels cliffhanger method was later COPIED elsewhere in popular media.

No?

The post I replied to had it the other way, in my reading, Not as you say and I agree, that Marvel was co-opting a well used storytelling technique first in comics, but rather that Marvels cliffhanger method was later COPIED elsewhere in popular media.

No?

We are in violent agreement!

Most people will only see this from the article.

"All of which means some current and former comic book lovers could be sitting on a gold mine that could easily pay off a mortgage and put their children through school, with plenty to spare."

and not this...

"Investing in comics only makes sense if you know what you're doing, [because] 99 percent of comics have no real value to investors..."

Cool this article says that I could be sitting on a gold mine! I'm RICH!

Can some one show me the link to this ---> CGC also offers investors the ability to track a book's value over time before or after purchase — similar to a stockbroker watching a stock.

I must of missed something ?

Can some one show me the link to this ---> CGC also offers investors the ability to track a book's value over time before or after purchase — similar to a stockbroker watching a stock.

I must of missed something ?

I don't think that means CGC the company is offering that tracking service. I think what it means is that by virtue of having your book slabbed by CGC, you're able to track it against the prices of other slabbed books with the same grade.