• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What moderns are truly keys and will stay that way?

96 posts in this topic

To me 1st print is the only way to go.

I agree 100% that anything issued / released after the 1st print is not a "variant" but a "reprint"

There's a lot of prestige in the "1st Edition / First Printing" regardless of print runs of variants and subsequent printings. I'm sure Marvel could in theory print a reprint of "Amazing Fantasy #15" limit the print run to only 100, and it's never going to be as valuable as the original release, so it's not just about the population numbers.

The sports card industry has been doing "crash numbering" for over 2 decades, with lots of these one of a kind 1/1 parallel variants and it's proven not all are worth gold, most are fools gold.

I do see some comic books eventually going into the crash numbering system as the next gimmick which individually embosses the unique number onto the covers... then after that, they'll have special silver, gold and holographic foil stamps, etc.

Most collectible hobbies borrow marketing tactics and ideas from one another.

The concept of comic book grading with encased slabbing was inspired by SCG and PSA who were slabbing trading cards in early 1990's and CGC didn't emerge 'til the Y2K a decade later.

The sports card industry borrowed the "sketch card" idea from non-sport and comic trading cards, which didn't latch on for the most part.

No its not..but now you understand why. Im from Italy and speak and read english from comics. I did not go school here. But it gets sad all the negativity on here but i understand maybe you just giving me humor. its ok :)

.... your skills are already good and getting better..... soon no one will know that you aren't from here. I understand you just fine. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Would ASM 36 vol.2 WTC still be considered a key book?

I don't consider it "key", but I never really did. Cool & valuable & interesting & somewhat important (since it showed an in-continuity story involving 9/11) & good, but I don't consider it a key.

Does anyone think Miles Morales will be relevant 10 years from now? I really like the character but his name doesn't come up when the topic of staying power is brought up.

He's been rumored by multiple sources for a movie role and fans have been pretty adamant about wanting to see him on the big screen. I think that's a good testament.

Would ASM 36 vol.2 WTC still be considered a key book?

Top grade newsstand versions of that book could be seen as a modern equivalent of a 35cent variant for a Bronze Age key.

2001 was not a big year for newsstands.

Does anyone think Miles Morales will be relevant 10 years from now? I really like the character but his name doesn't come up when the topic of staying power is brought up.

He's been rumored by multiple sources for a movie role and fans have been pretty adamant about wanting to see him on the big screen. I think that's a good testament.

Those rumours debunked long ago and UF 4 has since settled back to (or very close) its pre-hype levels. I'd like to see him successfully carry one solo comic book title at least before he is allowed anywhere near a movie screen.

Also, it would be nice if Marvel stopped trying to call him "Spider-Man", and simply allowed him to be just another spider-character-derivative that he is. 2c

-J.

Leaving out the obvious WD #1, BA #12 and others which have been mentioned a few times here's some..

WD 100 2nd printing will remain a key. Once Negan is on the TV show, you'll never see a raw copy for under $50-$75

Dreamwalker #0 - 1st Goon, any deadstock longbox copies got sucked up years ago, and you can't touch it for under $100 raw

Lenore #1 1st printing - rarely found in high grade, or at all. Despite his sporadic publishing of new issues, Roman Dirge still has a big following with his character

ASM- JSC Black cat covers

and my future pick which is currently in $1-$3 bins is Foolkiller Max #1. With Marvel going gritty on Netflix and the 4th Foolkiller being in the new Deadpool series, just call it a hunch

Those rumours debunked long ago and UF 4 has since settled back to (or very close) its pre-hype levels. I'd like to see him successfully carry one solo comic book title at least before he is allowed anywhere near a movie screen.

Also, it would be nice if Marvel stopped trying to call him "Spider-Man", and simply allowed him to be just another spider-character-derivative that he is. 2c

-J.

Yes, he has been cast as Peter Parker for the impending movie(s), but that does not negate the fact that fans wanted to see him and it was possibly a consideration. I was merely replying to the fact that the OP stated Miles Morales name doesn't come up.

-J.

I agree. Miles Morales as spiderman and Kamala Khan and captain marvel are cool, but Peter Parker and Carol Danvers are iconic. BTW. Who here actually prefers Kamala over Danvers?

-J.

I agree. Miles Morales as spiderman and Kamala Khan and captain marvel are cool, but Peter Parker and Carol Danvers are iconic. BTW. Who here actually prefers Kamala over Danvers?

I like'em both equally, and I don't have a problem with them evolving Danvers into Captain Marvel. The stories are good, though the art isn't really for me (though I don't think its bad).

'Ms' is kind of a 'younger' but still recognizeable name, no reason to try to capitalize on it if its not being used.

I do agree that its weird to have two Spider-man's running around in the same area.

Very good question you pose...I certainly prefer Carol. Thing is Carol is Cpt. Marvel who got her powers from the Kree and Kamala is Ms. Marvel a new Inhuman. One is not trying to actually be or replace the other...maybe a different direction in Naming is in order for Kamala? Sure..but this does not effect her character development at the moment. Carol is certainly more established...so is Peter. These guys are "Icons" in the Marvel U.

-J.

Let it go Jay just let it go. lol

-J.

Let it go Jay RMA Jr. just let it go. lol

Fixed that