• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paypal funds retained

33 posts in this topic

I sold an item on ebay.uk and the buyer sent payment within 24h.

I can see the transaction on paypal but they say the money will not be available until Dec 2nd, and the Paypal's comment is "the funds will be available when we know the transaction is completed without problem"

I never had anything like this in my paypal transactions, what does it mean?

I called and they confirmed your guess.

They are blocking the money until the buyer says he got the item.

Then I ask why is that, and the lady on the phone told me is for security reason.

I ask why it happens with this transaction and not with my other hundreds of thransactjons and the lady says she does not know

Now I am not sending nithing if I don't have the funds in my account

I am seriously thinking to cancel the transaction, what do you think?

Then I ask why is that, and the lady on the phone told me is for security reason.

I ask why it happens with this transaction and not with my other hundreds of thransactjons and the lady says she does not know

I would cancel. It's absurd that the buyer should dictate the transaction like that, especially with an eBay seller with an established track record. If such an arrangement became common it would be so easily prone to misuse.

It's happened to me a couple of times..... but usually after I haven't sold for a while. If you get tracking, the funds will also clear once the package registers as having been delivered or feedback is left. You should have sellers protection with tracking. If you shipped outside the GSP, this may also be a way to "encourage" you to use that.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a frend of jesus) (thumbs u

some categories that are hit with scams more frequently will have a higher likelihood of this sort situation occurring.

This isn't anything new either and has been in practice for quite some time. Some things just get flagged for whatever reason.

If you cancel the sale and therefore don't ship out, you run the risk of creating a lot more problem when trying to sell.

Actually unless you pay for a store membership, on AMAZON all sales work this way and the money is dispersed to you in the following payment cycle.

I don't know if you have any "defects" on your account. I don't sell as much as I used to, but canceling was a big defect. I don't know if you are a power seller and get a discount for being top rated. If you do, you might possibly lose that if you have a "defect".

My account says I lose my power seller status with more than a 2% defect rate. If you are not a power seller, you might have different rules.

You should call them and ask.

I've been on eBay a long time, the more things change. the less I use them. However, they are useful for a lot of things, so I like to keep my options open.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd send the item. I doubt it's the buyer's fault, this is some rule eBay dreamt up.

Why should you be entitled to cancel? This is between you and Paypal. I'm guessing the buyer expects to get their item. I see no evidence that the buyer has done anything to make the transaction play out this way. This is a Paypal security issue.

it definitely isn't anything thing the buyer did. Sometimes items in particular categories have a higher percentage of getting flagged. Why his did is difficult to say, could be random?

Anyway by cancelling though it could send a message to ebay and paypal that you really WERE trying to defraud via take the money and run. This isn't the case but would seem suspect if you tried to cancel a sale with funds being held due to possible suspicion anyway.

And of course you could still fall in the window of getting a negative from the buyer.

Ship it and realize this sort of thing happens and if you need the money due to being short on funds, know this can happen in the future too.

I can see the transaction on paypal but they say the money will not be available until Dec 2nd, and the Paypal's comment is "the funds will be available when we know the transaction is completed without problem"

I've had this happen several times as a buyer and the reason was because the payment was sent as an echeck. Whenever I have funds in my PayPal account and I send a payment not using those funds, PayPal automatically uses an echeck even though without those funds, the payment would go through normally. It was frustrating to me to see that, because I know the questions it creates with the seller. Now that I know this happens, I do my best to avoid the situation.

You might want to contact the buyer and let them know what happened. Also, it is perfectly fine to also let the buyer know you are going to wait until the funds clear.

I think the person on the phone did not know what they were talking about. I've called PayPal a few times on questions like this and they sometimes do not have a good understanding of why the system works the way it does.

I would cancel. It's absurd that the buyer should dictate the transaction like that, especially with an eBay seller with an established track record. If such an arrangement became common it would be so easily prone to misuse.

The buyer did not dictate this. This is a PayPal thing.

Most definitely a Paypal issue and not a buyer dictated issue:

From the Paypal FAQs

PayPal Policy for payment holds for eBay items

eBay and PayPal are working together to make it safer than ever to buy on eBay. One of the boldest steps we're taking is to identify transactions that pose the greatest risk of fraud and holding the payments from sellers for a period of time to help ensure that the transactions go smoothly.

If you have received more than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs) in the past 12 months and your DSR average is 4.5 or higher, your payments will not be held.

What is a payment hold for an eBay item?

It is a hold that PayPal places on a payment you receive for an item you sold on eBay. The amounts held will be shown as "Pending" in your PayPal account. You still have access to all other funds in your PayPal account.

Why might my payments be held?

PayPal will hold payments in transactions where the vast majority of seller fraud occurs. Here are the most common instances in which a payment may be held:

You are new to eBay and sell an item above £50

You have a low feedback score and sell an item above £50

More than 5% of your transactions result in dissatisfied buyers*

You have a low Detailed Seller Rating (DSR)

You have not received a significant amount of Detailed Seller Ratings

You are listing your item in a higher-risk category

PayPal will not hold payments for eBay items if you meet the following criteria:

You have been an eBay member for more than 6 months, and

Your total Feedback score is greater than 100, and

Fewer than 5% of your transactions result in dissatisfied buyers*

OR

Your average DSR is greater than 4.5, and

Your have received more than 20 DSRs in the last 12 months

What will happen if my payment is held?

If you receive a payment that is held by PayPal, the amounts held will show as "Pending" in a separate PayPal balance on your account page. You will still have access to all other funds in your PayPal account.

Your funds will immediately be released when one of the following occurs:

The buyer leaves you positive feedback

3 days pass after proof the item was delivered**

21 days pass without a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal filed on the transaction

If you receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction subject to the hold, PayPal may hold the payment in your Account until the matter is resolved, even if the claim, chargeback or reversal is made after the hold is released.

I am a new seller, will my money be held?

If you are a new seller and have a record of good performance, you will receive your payment instantly in the vast majority of cases.

Learn more about the PayPal policy on payment holds for eBay items.

* Buyer dissatisfaction percentage is measured by adding negative events as a percentage of your transactions. Negative events include negative & neutral Feedback, Detailed Seller Ratings scores of two or less, and Item Not Received or Significantly Not As Described disputes. Learn more about how your buyer dissatisfaction percentage is calculated.

** This applies to US domestic transactions that are shipped by USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either (i) use PayPal shipping labels to ship items or (ii) upload tracking information to PayPal via the transaction details page. If a payment is being held, it will be shown as "Pending" in your PayPal account until it is released.

If it were me, I'd just send the item (make certain it has tracking)

It does stink if you were hoping to get the money right away. :sorry:

Seach for "Paypal Jail" on google or youtube. It's a common aggravation for eBay sellers.

eBay Community: How do I get out of paypal jail?

this might even be because you're shipping to a different country - perhaps that is outside the norm as far as your transactions go.

PP is just trying to ensure that the package gets to the buyer, etc.

eBay will always protect their buyers over their sellers... so far as I've learned and experienced.

The buyer did not dictate this. This is a PayPal thing.

My bad - I've bought more than I've sold over the years on eBay to be fair, but I've always used Paypal. Never heard of this.

I've canceled transaction and it did not give me a defect

I always call and speak to at least 2 people because often one person doesn't know what the hell they're talking about.

I'd just ship the item myself.