• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little help?!?!

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have some books I'd like to post and get some opinions from other forumites. All are raw books (obviously tongue.gif) but need a little help before I do so. Just recently purchased a great scanner and would like to know what settings everybody uses to scan their raw books in order to get a suitable scan for grading online. In addition, does everybody use a image-hosting service in order to get larger size scans posted for grading and if so, what are the opinions on which sites are the most beneficial? Thanks in advance,

Drew

My advice is to Scan at 200 DPI and make the image 150%. Then play around with it, IE maybe reduce the size a bit or crop it if the scanner picked up too much room outside the Comic. Then convert to Jpeg.

Redhooks' advise to always scan at the highest possible Dpi and then make alterations to the image after the fact to deal with the size of the file is one of the better tips, so kudos go out to him.

My advice is to Scan at 200 DPI and make the image 150%. Then play around with it, IE maybe reduce the size a bit or crop it if the scanner picked up too much room outside the Comic. Then convert to Jpeg.

Redhooks' advise to always scan at the highest possible Dpi and then make alterations to the image after the fact to deal with the size of the file is one of the better tips, so kudos go out to him.

I've scanned some at 200 dpi with 50% compression and got files just under the photobucket limit of 250k. I seem to be getting scans of about 220k or so and they don't seem to look too bad.

As for scanning at a higher resolution, I could definitly do that but would get fairly large files confused-smiley-013.gif Maybe Redhook could shed some light on this and what he does to get the best possible scans.

In the meantime, I'll post a few of the books I have scanned already and see what you guys think.

Thanks,

Drew

I scan books at 300 dpi, then use photoshop to reduce the size to 2.5 inches wide, while maintaining the proportions for length. Depending on the quality of the image when saving, you can play with the file size to get under photobucket's limits. But, you can also pay the premium amount for photobucket, which is $25 a year, and the maximum size increases to 1 MB. At $25 a year, it's just over $2 a month, which I think is really reasonable for image hosting.

I scan books at 300 dpi, then use photoshop to reduce the size to 2.5 inches wide, while maintaining the proportions for length. Depending on the quality of the image when saving, you can play with the file size to get under photobucket's limits. But, you can also pay the premium amount for photobucket, which is $25 a year, and the maximum size increases to 1 MB. At $25 a year, it's just over $2 a month, which I think is really reasonable for image hosting.

I agree totally here with Jeffreykli. It is worth paying the $25 to photobucket for the larger file size. I think that on a 250k scan, the scan itself is not large enough for you to get a good feel as to what the book looks like. Therefore, i try to get my images around 400k. Nice big scans, but not so hughe that it would take a dial up user 3 months to download.

then use photoshop to reduce the size to 2.5 inches wide, while maintaining the proportions for length.

If you have XP then you could also just use the default picture editor. You can adjust the size/width of the book to adjust the size of the file. 255x350 will get you roughly 250k, so if you make sure that the proportions for length/higth are on, you can adjust to make the picture bigger.