• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CREED (Rocky VII) starring Michael B. Jordan (11/25/15)

67 posts in this topic

Advance Review: Creed is a Masterpiece

Can you make a Rocky movie without Rocky? Probably not if its only appeal is to the kind of critics and film snobs who would be just as likely as not to snub a potential sequel on the grounds that it's a sequel.

But I'm here to tell you, this is not that film.

There are a few reasons. First of all, Creed is a powerful movie if you're a fan of the franchise, and almost equally effective if you aren't. It's nothing short of a masterpiece, and people who haven't watched a Rocky movie before, or who checked out when Stallone reneged on "ain't gonna be no rematch," should go see it.

The filmmakers are acutely aware of their cinematic and cultural legacy, and they've approached it not only in a thoughtful way, but as fans themselves.

"This story, it just happens to have massive pop culture appeal, but Rocky movies were something that I sat down and watched with my dad," director Ryan Coogler said during a event at the Front Street Gym in Philadelphia, where parts of the movie were filmed. "It was something that as far as I was concerned for a long time, was about my family."

Creed brought out something visceral in me, though, and I loved it wholeheartedly. The last time I remember enjoying a film this much, it was Guardians of the Galaxy -- a movie I've watched probably a dozen times since, and every time it's on I want to sing its praises again. Creed feels like a movie that will leave a mark. It feels like something that's that good.

On some level it's probably that I'm still watching Rocky in the living room with my family. And that's fine. This is as much a blog post ruminating on how much I loved the film, as it is a "real" review. The point is, see this movie. Ideally, see it with your family, or with an audience, or someone you can share the experience with.

:whee:

I wasn't going to see this. Variety is talking multiple Oscars (Stallone, Jordan, and best picture) I was shocked to read this. I will definitely be seeing this now. Love Rocky's (except 4 and 5) but thought this was going to be a stinker made for some fast cash

I wasn't going to see this. Variety is talking multiple Oscars (Stallone, Jordan, and best picture) I was shocked to read this. I will definitely be seeing this now. Love Rocky's (except 4 and 5) but thought this was going to be a stinker made for some fast cash

+1

Never took too much stock in Variety. It's basically a Hollywood rag, that big shots can run Oscar campaigns for. Really interested in how critics feel about in non-Hollywood publications more. If Peter Travers likes it, then there might be something to it. lol

Just left the theater and as a stand alone film this is good, but as another entry in the Rocky series I left with a few issues. The first thing that comes to mind is that this film is essentially a remake of the first film and Rocky Balboa. I would of rather of seen a Creed prequel that focused on the background and history of Apollo Creed we don't really know.

That being said good performances by Stallone, Jordan, and Rashad. A good job by Coogler of trying to give this film enough feel of its own by music, film sequences, and etc that as a person I felt I was watching Baby Creed's story through his eyes and not Rocky's eyes if Stallone was to direct, Bill Conti was to do the music, and etc.

The film is a solid 7 out of 10 as a part of the Rocky film series. An 8.5 out of 10 if I had never seen a Rocky film before. Ranks solidly in 3rd place in the Rocky Franchise.

1. Rocky

2. Rocky Balboa

3. Creed

4. Rocky II

5. Rocky III

6. Rocky IV

7. Rocky V

Just left the theater and as a stand alone film this is good, but as another entry in the Rocky series I left with a few issues. The first thing that comes to mind is that this film is essentially a remake of the first film and Rocky Balboa. I would of rather of seen a Creed prequel that focused on the background and history of Apollo Creed we don't really know.

That being said good performances by Stallone, Jordan, and Rashad. A good job by Coogler of trying to give this film enough feel of its own by music, film sequences, and etc that as a person I felt I was watching Baby Creed's story through his eyes and not Rocky's eyes if Stallone was to direct, Bill Conti was to do the music, and etc.

The film is a solid 7 out of 10 as a part of the Rocky film series. An 8.5 out of 10 if I had never seen a Rocky film before. Ranks solidly in 3rd place in the Rocky Franchise.

1. Rocky

2. Rocky Balboa

3. Creed

4. Rocky II

5. Rocky III

6. Rocky IV

7. Rocky V

#1 How in god's name do you have Rocky IV after Rocky III? That is unheard of in life.

#2. You slight displeasure with the movie is my positive. No one wants to see a prequel about Creed. This way is the only way that makes sense.

#3 Glad you liked the movie though. (thumbs u

I smell some Oscars in this movie's future.

To me this movie was a 9.5/10.

Easily for me the best pure movie of the year!