• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detached Staples

6 posts in this topic

I WANT TO CONFIRM I HAVE THIS RIGHT:

CGC states the following:

A Qualified label is used by CGC for certified books that have a significant defect that needs specific description...... For example, it would be a disservice to the seller and buyer to call a 9.4 book with the cover detached from a staple a 6.0 so CGC will give this book a Qualified grade of 9.4 and a Label Text notation of "COVER DETACHED FROM BOTTOM STAPLE."

Now here is my question and what I believe is the right answer:

however if for example you have a Golden Age comic with a detached bottom staple that looks to grade around a 5.0 and is complete and unrestored - you could safely expect a blue label of say around 3.5 or 4.0. Right? Am I correct in that this example would NOT be given a green qualified label but a blue label that took into account the detached staple as a defect just like a tear or rip?

thank you all for any input here.

roger

I honestly think you should approach CGC on this = it would be difficult for anyone of us to absolutely confirm. I think you are right and maybe others can share their experience on this but we all know CGC be unpredictable. Also, books hanging on to one staple are very susceptible. If the other staple detaches in the process somewhere, you are now looking at a much lower grade.

I have no experience submitting and having a book come back with a green label.

But I think the key here is that the CGC uses the term 'disservice to a book'

If the missing staple takes an otherwise 6.0 down to a 4.5 it probably wouldn't get a Q label because 6.0 and 4.5 aren't really too far apart

at some point, there is a balance between the grade minus the very large defect and the grade with the very large defect

What that balance is, who knows... contact CGC - it'd be nice if they could say the balance is about 6 grade points

i.e a 9.0 (with defect) drops to a 6.0, thus it gets the Q green label