• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sotheby's Star Wars auction

14 posts in this topic

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/2015/return-of-the-nigo-n09402.html

No OA, but thought a couple people here might be interested

Very cool.

I have several of those master replicas light sabers and helmets but mine are prototypes and artist proofs so no sure how mine might compare value wise. Will be fun to watch.

Didn't realize they did a Hayden Christiansen signed helmet. Mine is signed by James Earl Jones and David Prowse.

It's part of Nigo's collection. I'm sure they cut a deal to sell all his junk to get at the good stuff (his fine art).

Ding ding ding that must be it. Never heard of him but google suggests a connection to takashi murakami whose work they'd be falling all over themselves to sell

A lot of these toys and production items are going to go well past these top end estimates. Not surprised they would be doing this auction, honestly they should be doing a yearly star wars auction. Iconic auctions is doing a huge star wars autograph auction this december, the entire star wars market is very active and a lot of money changing hands. I think we will see more.

It's part of Nigo's collection. I'm sure they cut a deal to sell all his junk to get at the good stuff (his fine art).

Ding ding ding that must be it. Never heard of him but google suggests a connection to takashi murakami whose work they'd be falling all over themselves to sell

His "A Bathing Ape" fashion label was huge in the early 2000s. He was an early designer toy maker as well. Didn't know he was still a relevant figure in that scene.

Speaking of Murakami, we were invited to meet him at his gallery when we were in Tokyo a couple of months ago. We were too beat to make it back out there, but it would have been cool. As it turns out, he likes comic art. The latest exhibition he hosted at his gallery was for James Jean (just ended this week).

^ very cool

Murakami is tight with Kim Jung Gi and Katsuya Terada, who are fans of at least some of the guys I rep (and big fans of one in particular), so I'm guessing he became aware of us through them.

Speaking of KJG...the man's incredible artistic talent is eclipsed only by his taste in t-shirts:

image.jpg

I'm surprised they'd bother. ???

I'm not surprised at all. Nigo had a top end collection with some of the upper end rare items in it. There are a lot of SW figures that are incredibly rare in this auction (transition card Boba Fett, Double Telescoping Luke, complete POTF coin collection, the Irish three pack to name a few) and I can easily see them going above the estimates. Plus Nigo had a fairly high profile collection so that helps. Should do well for all involved.