• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POST YOUR BEST....

40 posts in this topic

I usually pay guide or above for all of the silver age CGC books I get on Ebay,but I did get an ASM #100(tail end of silver?) in 8.5 for $67 and #122(bronze age?) in 8.5 for $107..........pretty good deals I think......... smile.gifI also picked up Tales to Astonish #'s 46,48,54,&58 all in 8.0 for $70-$90 a pop........ headbang.gif

I've told this story before, but for the benefit of the kid here goes

("Pleeeez, Grampa, tell us about the Great Comic Find of 1972 again! Pleeeeez!")

I was kid going to garage sales because I liked old comics and could find them cheaper than I could buy the new 20-centers at the grocery story. Stumbled on one with the veritable treasure trove of "old" comics (this was early 1970s and these were all early-to-mid 60s comics in the box). They were 10 cents each. I only had a dollar. I picked up Amazing Spider-Man 15, 16, 22, and Annual 1, Fantastic Four 25 and 26, Showcase 34, a couple of early Strange Tales and a Daredevil 12, I believe. Best dollar I ever spent.

yay.gif

headbang.gif

I got a VG Hulk #109 in a bargain bin for $1.00 a couple of years ago at an LCS. A couple of weekends ago, I got a GD Hulk #102 for $13 at an LCS that was having a big February sale.

I've gotten a lot of SA Captain America issues in large lots that I've won on ebay.

Two that come to mind:

Back around 1978, I bought a copy of Strange Adventures #180, about vg+, for 50 cents at a second-hand shop (first appearance of Animal Man).

My best deal in more recent years: In 1999, a good friend who was running a LCS sold me a very high grade, gorgeous copy of Showcase #62 for just $5. (That book is a priority for me to send in for grading -- first appearance Inferior Five.)

Burntboy wins. He got his SA books for cover price. With that in mind, any deal is a bad one.

Agreed. hail.gif BB.

Yup, 10 cents=Fantastic Four #1. 'nuff said. hail.gif

To rub salt in the wound, I think he said on one of these posts that he picked up one awesome book for 5 cents! foreheadslap.gif

Burntboy wins. He got his SA books for cover price. With that in mind, any deal is a bad one.

Agreed. hail.gif BB.

To rub salt in the wound, I think he said on one of these posts that he picked up one awesome book for 5 cents! foreheadslap.gif

How in the world did he get FF1 for 10 cents! foreheadslap.gif

bought a vf ASM #14 for $80 in a CBG ad when i was about 15. Graded it a few years back and it came back cgc 8.5.

honorable mention: got 1 IF #14s for $5 each in bins at a show and they came back cgc 9.4s..long gone. Also Michael Jordan rookie card for $12 many years ago. cloud9.gif Still got that.

Agreed. hail.gif BB.

back in the fall of 1961 (when FF #1 hit the stands) it was simple. you could buy all the Mint copies you wanted for 10 cents right off the racks........ grin.gif

of course, who knew what that would translate into today's values, so most kids bought one copy and loved it to death until it practically fell apart. i was already in "collector-mode" with my DC's so it got put into a cardboard box with the rest and they stood the test of time fairly well.

in fact, it will finally be heading south for grading in a week. my expectations aren't too high because, it too, was well-loved..............

most of my 5centers purchased at used book stores in Newark, NJ, weren't in the best shape, but there is the occasional exception. this book may be one of them and it's the last issue of Superman before the Silver Age:

1109616778247_superman_012.jpg

i particularly love Rhino's story here with the 10 books for a buck and he still remembers the titles and issues...... thumbsup2.gif

Agreed. hail.gif BB.

yeahok.gifconfused.gifforeheadslap.gif

READ THE POST. He bought the comics at COVER PRICE. The COVER PRICE is 10 cents. makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

gossip.gif You see, these comics were once for sale at newstands for their cover price. Some people actually bought comics back then and kept them, you see. Capice?????

Dang boy, do we gots ta 'splain EVERYTHING to you? boo.gif

I can't compete with Harry on this one (who do we know who can?), but I do have a good collection of Bronze books purchased off the racks. My Hulk 181 (25 cents) came back from CGC as a 9.4, and my GS X-Men 1 (35 cents) as a 9.0. My ASM 120 graded at 9.8 (the only one in my collection, so far), tied for top census grade.

Among "second-hand" purchases, the best and worst I've ever done were in the same deal. Shortly after the Pacific Coast pedigree books were listed on Robert Roter's website back in '99 (called the Original Owner books at that time), I purchased a baker's dozen of the raw Silver Age beauties. Best? Copped some incredible 9.4 and 9.6 FFs and JIMs for less than 2X guide. acclaim.gif Worst? Passed on run after run of one of the best Silver Age pedigrees of all. boo.gif

My best deal is the "Berkeley heroin" collection...in short, I bought about 50-60 low grade books off a guy in Berkeley, CA in 1992. I paid $15 for the grocery bag of comics (or an average cost of roughly $.30 each), and most of the comics were Atomic Age/Silver Age war books. yay.gifyay.gif

I flipped most of the books for $1 each, and sold the better books (which included EC Comics Valor #1 and #2 and probably got $100-$200 out of the collection. I only kept a few books, which are:

BraveBold1fs.jpg

ArchieJoke2s.jpg

headbang.giftakeit.gif

You won't believe this but it's all true. When I was about 13 years old, my friend and I collected comics (1969). He bought a lot more comics than I did. Even multiple copies of some issues. Then one day he saw that I had the Simon & Garfunkel album "Bookends". He decided that he had to have that album. He traded all of his comics to me for that one album. That album cost about 3 bucks. The comics filled 3 grocery bags! You know the old style paper bags. Probably about 1000 comics in all. There were double and triple copies of Amazing Spider-Man #50s-up. Silver Surfer. Yes there were 3 or 4 copies of Silver Surfer 1 and 4. 3 copies of Iron Man 1. Hulk 102 and up. Daredevil, Captain America, Fantastic Four, mostly Marvel with a few DC books.

Now the bad news. There wasn't room for all those comics inside the house, so a lot of them were kept in a large cardboard box in the basement. One day, there was a hard rain and the basement flooded. When I went to the basement, the books were soaked. I remember picking up a Silver Surfer 1 and peeling the wet cover back. I was in tears. The books were ruined.

But not all bad news. I kept all the books that were stored inside the house (about 2000 books) until I sold my collection in 1994 for almost $4,000. Wish I hadn't done that. Since the advent of CGC, that collection would be worth about 10-15 grand easy. I had absolutely mint copies of Amazing Spider-Man 121, 122, 129, Marvel Spotlight 5, etc.

Now I've replaced most of my favorite books. But, I'll never forget the best deal I made for comics. My latest best deal story is that I bought 10 copies of Ultimate Spider-Man #1 at cover price and 12 copies of the DF variant at $10 each when it came out in 2000. I've had 4 copies graded. Two of them came back CGC 9.8. Lucky me.