• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POST YOUR BEST....

40 posts in this topic

Jeez, picking up FF1 at a newstand, you must be, well...how should I put it,...aged?

Quiet, you little s%$t.......... grin.gif

He may be "aged" but he's got a killer avatar.... thumbsup2.gif

^^True

Flash 105 for $2. It was in fair to god condition but a $200 restoration in 1990 brought it back to 9.0 shape.

Who did the Resto. Now that is Restoration at its best. Being used to bring a Comic book back and Conserve it for years to come. thumbsup2.gif

Jeez, picking up FF1 at a newstand, you must be, well...how should I put it,...aged?

Quiet, you little s%$t.......... grin.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif I guess the drawback of being old enough to buy FF 1 at the newsstand is... you're old enough to have bought FF 1 at the newsstand! poke2.gif

I bought a run of high grade Spideys on Ebay numbering from about 100 to 121 all in ubber high grade for a couple hundred dollars (don't remember exactly how much). Traded them away later for a copy of X-Men #1at the Pittsburgh Comic-Con that the seller graded a VG/F 5.0. It came back a F+ 6.5 from CGC so I was happy.

My dad picked up AF #15 at a flea market for a nickel (this was late 70s). A few years later a neighbor gave me a box of comics, which included some cool GA stuff - including some Blonde Phantoms and even the original Classic Comics of Great Expectations (I believe this one was banned??)...

My dad picked up AF #15 at a flea market for a nickel (this was late 70s). A few years later a neighbor gave me a box of comics, which included some cool GA stuff - including some Blonde Phantoms and even the original Classic Comics of Great Expectations (I believe this one was banned??)...

Comics Banned 893whatthe.gif

Yup, from Jones, Jr. History of Classics Illustrated on p.51:

"The artist's (Kiefer) rendering of the graveyard scene at the beginning of Great Expectations was regarded as too intense for children by critics in the late 1940s. He effectively conveyed young David Copperfield's misery under the sadistic Murdstone and presented a vibrant Wilkins Micawber that was equally independent of the original renderings by "Phiz" and the celluloid impersonation by W.C. Fields."

749336-GreatExpectations.jpg

749336-GreatExpectations.jpg.9b7ee3cb1325d4b9afcb8e880e0d9026.jpg

Hmm, for me it would be buying my raw AMS #50 for just $400 and then getting it back from CGC with a 9.4 (White Pages). I also found an X-men #104 (Ok, so not technically silver age) at a flea market in PA while on a business trip. I bought it for $26 and submitted it to CGC and it came back a 9.6. Finally, I bought a FF #55 raw for about $100 and it came back 9.4 Off-White.

Ah the thrill of the hunt, it's half the fun!!

i wouldn't say "aged" persay, perhaps no longer in ahem "mint condition"? 27_laughing.gif, j/k, the best deal i got was at the portland con on the 6th of this month FF#2 for $10, prolly a 3.0 at best, but people were offering me 50+ for it all day, so...it sits in my comic box next to the big stack of 20 cent cover ones i bought for 8 bucks 27_laughing.gif, best deal i have seen the results from is 71 copies of ghost rider #1 bought at cover price because my uncle thought "perhaps these might be worth 20 bucks some day" 27_laughing.gif, they dissappeared when he was arrested and couldn't pay for his storage unit, he gets pissed every time i mention it in front of him, prolly had alot of decent books in it, would have loved to have read them frown.gif