• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any discount on the signature series?

8 posts in this topic

Any discount on the signature series? I know the cost is $25 through Paradise comics or at the conventions. Does anyone know if there is any discount. I would like to get one but $25 plus shipping and insurance hardly seems worth it unless the book is signed by Stan Lee or someone that well known.

I don't think that there is, no.

$25 includes more than just grading as Paradise (or whoever) and CGC must do the actual legwork to get that signature.

They have to line up or arrange to meet the artist, and time is money.

Kev

As far as I know there is no discount for SS. I wish though. I've put through about 80 books for SS.

But Kev is right, there is so much time and effort involved with getting the signatures. If you have ever been to a large convention, you know that waiting 1-2 hours is common for getting autographs (sometimes longer). And meeting the artist at a specified time is next to impossible for the artist, the dealer and a CGC rep to co-ordinate.

$25 may seem like a lot, but it is worth it, particularly if you are able to get a sketch on the book as well (it's rare but it happens if you pay a little extra to the artist).

I hope that helps.

Yep. I've been selling them for $25 just to move them. Thankfully most of them aren't mine, and the owner is prepared to take a loss just to recoup most of his money. Aside from some exceptions there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest. A great idea in theory I guess.

On that note, I did have a good laugh at the latest Dynamic Forces catalogue inserted in the new Wizard. They want $100-200 for signature series books that regularly sell on e-bay for $25-50 max.

Kev

Well, I don't know about losing money. Of all the books I have sold I have actually made a nice profit. It really depends on what you get signed, the grade, and who signs it. There was only one book I didn't make money on, but that was because it came back a 9.2 (I missed a 2 small stress marks on the BACK of the book I submitted oops).

Here is a run down of the books that I have sold recently:

Fathom #10 Michael Turner CGC 9.8 $41.00

Fathom #13 Michael Turner CGC 9.8 $50.00

Incredible Hulk #449 Mike Deodato CGC 9.2 $24.99

Catwoman #1 Jim Balent CGC 9.6 $40.00

Savage Dragon #1 Erik Larson CGC 9.8 $33.00

Dawn Convention #1 Joe Linsner CGC 9.8 $53.69

Lady Death 1/2 Brian Pulido CGC 9.6 $51.55

Even with the slower than usual business on Ebay, I have still managed to make a profit.

On that note, I did have a good laugh at the latest Dynamic Forces catalogue inserted in the new Wizard. They want $100-200 for signature series books that regularly sell on e-bay for $25-50 max.

Yeah, ouch! $250 for a CGC 9.8 Ultimates 1 signed by Millar.

Some of the debate about 'fleecing of newbies' should maybe be directed at 'deals' like this, promoted through the hype-machine of Wizard. frown.gif