• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Fanfare # 1 cover

35 posts in this topic

Will people have nostalgia for this or is all Golden art driving price? I remember this well and grabbing one (because I grabbed everything back then) but then not really having a lot of interest in the title.

The cover is "iconic" among comic book collectors far and wide. I guarantee you that if you were to merely say the words "Spider-man" & "Pterodactyl", the comic book enthusiast would reflexively mutter "Marvel Fanfare # 1"

if the marvel fanfare # 1 is 65k, then what if # 1 at the same price point is a bargain :insane:

What If 1. Is now 85k

Anytime you mention the price or say it's name it will go up

So....hush

Thank you for making me ruefully laugh.

if the marvel fanfare # 1 is 65k, then what if # 1 at the same price point is a bargain :insane:

What If 1. Is now 85k

Anytime you mention the price or say it's name it will go up

So....hush

Thank you for making me ruefully laugh.

Rueful ? Interesting choice of words

I think the What If #1 cover by George Perez is really nice, and growing up was what started the alternate reality, multiple universe trend of today which has been grossly mishandled by the publishers as their creative "mulligan" to undo or redo things. So, from that standpoint, the cover is nostalgic and important to many. I'm not sure what type of valuation I'd place on it 'tho, but if given a choice between the Golden Fanfare cover and the Perez What If cover, I'd take the Perez cover, but it would be a tough decision.

BTW - Who has the What If #1 cover for sale now?

I think the What If #1 cover by George Perez is really nice, and growing up was what started the alternate reality, multiple universe trend of today which has been grossly mishandled by the publishers as their creative "mulligan" to undo or redo things. So, from that standpoint, the cover is nostalgic and important to many. I'm not sure what type of valuation I'd place on it 'tho, but if given a choice between the Golden Fanfare cover and the Perez What If cover, I'd take the Perez cover, but it would be a tough decision.

BTW - Who has the What If #1 cover for sale now?

Bechara had it at $65K at the NYCC. And it's not by Perez. No one is really sure who it's by - Marvel Wikia says Jim Craig and Joe Sinnott with Romita assists; Comics.org says John Buscema (?) with Sinnott inks and Romita assists (again with a ?) Some have speculated that Ron Wilson may have had a hand in it. Most likely it's one of those covers that had numerous hands work on it.

And it's not by Perez. No one is really sure who it's by - Marvel Wikia says Jim Craig and Joe Sinnott with Romita assists; Comics.org says John Buscema (?) with Sinnott inks and Romita assists (again with a ?) Some have speculated that Ron Wilson may have had a hand in it. Most likely it's one of those covers that had numerous hands work on it.

I got my info from:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_If_%28comics%29

Where it stated:

Cover to What If? #1 (February 1977). Art by George Pérez and Joe Sinnott.

But any Wiki type posting is only as accurate as the sources who input them, and they're open to public manipulation.

I did look up Marvel Wikia as you'd mentioned:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/What_If%3F_Vol_1_1

It is a nice cover overall 'tho, regardless of artist.

I'd side with you that it's probably not Perez based on the rendering, but if it is inked by Sinnott, maybe his style has heavy influence over whomever penciled it.

I'm actually of the same mind. I like the spidey rendering but I find something about the dino and the overall cover slightly awkward, or at least, not that exciting. It did make for a nice package as you say and its kind of a memorable title

I'm actually of the same mind. I like the spidey rendering but I find something about the dino and the overall cover slightly awkward, or at least, not that exciting. It did make for a nice package as you say and its kind of a memorable title

Especially when in that same year we were spoiled with fantastic Spidey art/issues in 1982. The Juggernaut, Cobra & Hyde, Will-O-Whisp arcs. :cloud9:

Especially when in that same year we were spoiled with fantastic Spidey art/issues in 1982. The Juggernaut, Cobra & Hyde, Will-O-Whisp arcs. :cloud9:

Will-O-Whisp :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9::cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9::cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9::cloud9: