• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where are the high grade silver books hiding?

31 posts in this topic

even GPA is low by the average sales as not all sales are reflected. Not GPA's fault, just limited data available...

OS isn't obsolete, only because the bulk of the comic community still uses it even in reference to referring to the multiple of prices paid, so it's still the "standard". Until people start using GPA in the common vernacular among comic collectors, I can't say GPA is now the real price guide.

Everyone's waiting for the new Overstreet? confused-smiley-013.gif

i think OS is now obselete and the real price guide is GPA analysis as evidenced in last years HUGE bumps. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Most of the HG Silver Books are hiding in peoples collections. There is actually a good reason for this:

1) CGC came in to existance around five years ago

2) True HG books, soared in price

3) Over the past two to three years, many long time collectors have sold their collections as prices were very high

4) Collectors pounced on these books, even at high prices

5) Prices have slowly gone up over the past two years, but not to the point where the new purchasers could now sell the books and make huge profit.

6) Therefore there is no financial reason to sell.

7) Hence there is a much more limit supply

The only title that is in abundance is Amazing Spider-Man and possibly X-Men.

i think OS is now obselete and the real price guide is GPA analysis as evidenced in last years HUGE bumps. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

GPA is only good for Graded books.

Not good for Raw books

But what you are seeing is people using GPA to price raw books in their CGC graded form. For example, I ahve sold books to fellow forum members and they will say:

"ill give you guide minus $20 for the grading fee". So yes, I see GPA being used to determine raw prices.

Most of the HG Silver Books are hiding in peoples collections. There is actually a good reason for this:

1) CGC came in to existance around five years ago

2) True HG books, soared in price

3) Over the past two to three years, many long time collectors have sold their collections as prices were very high

4) Collectors pounced on these books, even at high prices

5) Prices have slowly gone up over the past two years, but not to the point where the new purchasers could now sell the books and make huge profit.

6) Therefore there is no financial reason to sell.

7) Hence there is a much more limit supply

The only title that is in abundance is Amazing Spider-Man and possibly X-Men.

i'm sure you have hit on one of the many reasons for this seeming dearth of HG SA books currently.

i did a search just yesterday on 12 major/minor dealers websites looking for a few specific HG SA Superman issues that i own. HG being 9.0+.

i was astonished to learn that there do not appear to be any HG copies for sale of the books in question. now i suppose that they may have copies in their huge inventories but wonder, if that's the case, why they wouldn't list them.

TTH2 has long stated that they just ain't out there, but it never really hit home like this. there aren't even any copies that GPA has been able to track over the past 3 years for the purposes of establishing prices.

it would appear that whatever copies do exist are safely tucked away in private collections. the books in question only had approx 6 - 12 copies ever graded.

i suppose that since they don't come on the market and therefore no high prices are realized, they stay hidden away. this is just eye-opening for me.......... 893whatthe.gif

Is it possible that another element here is that SA collectors are holding back sending in their books to CGC because of the very long turnaround?, thus fewer graded silver age books are being freshly slabbed and put on the market? I know I am sitting on a small pile of books that I won't send in until turnaround times improve. Just a thought.

Red

Is it just cyclical...nothing more to read into it?

Or have all the HG raw books in the free world been shipped off to Sarasota.

My guess is they are all in some guys garage in Buffalo.

Ze-

Doesnt GPA only do CGC books? Aren't the vast majority of comics still raw? Do those people not need a price guide?

Doesnt GPA only do CGC books? Aren't the vast majority of comics still raw? Do those people not need a price guide?

Plus, it's hard using the GPA guide for GA books with only 1 sale reported within the past 3 years that was about 2 grades lower than the book you're interested in purchasing.

Is it possible that another element here is that SA collectors are holding back sending in their books to CGC because of the very long turnaround?, thus fewer graded silver age books are being freshly slabbed and put on the market? I know I am sitting on a small pile of books that I won't send in until turnaround times improve. Just a thought.

Red

This is the exactly the reason in my case. I have around 200 high grade SA books (9.0+) that I'm sitting on because of the turnaround times. I'd love to send them in but when I think about tieing up several thousand dollars in grading fees for 4 months, I have second thoughts. Then I see a few upgrade candidates on ebay and there goes my money. Of course that only adds to the pile that I want to send to CGC and the cycle continues.

Red

I believe that Bleeker Bob is talking about early SA books (pre-1965) in HG 9.0 or better. That's based on his Want to Buy post in the MarketPlace (early X-Men and Avengers in 9.2).

I really don't think there are people waiting for the turnaround times on these books, to get CGC'd and then sell. Many of the books would be at least Standard if not some Express, and if they really wanted to sell, I believe they would send them in.

There are problaby tons of late SA HG books just waiting to get slabbed. 893whatthe.gif