• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Investing potential in low grade comics?

92 posts in this topic

The older generation I have seen are selling their books already. Quite a few have brought in some to the shop I work in looking to make some higher end sales. I think there will be a drop off somewhere in the future for Golden and Silver age comics.

-----------------------------------

You have to understand though, my friend who ran 2 shops in NYC in the 80's would tell me how a decent OO silver age collection literally walked in the door every week, sometimes more often than that. This didn't just start now. He is, of course, extremely depressed because of how low he had to sell off the keys and high grade books back when they weren't worth so much.

Of course, those books got sold and I guess they got sold to other boomers or Gen Xers (is that what we call 30something now?)..many of whom sold them off a few years later..

arent boomers generation before generation x? I am generation x and boomers my parents right? My parents(50) buying and selling the silver and golden yes but my generation there are far less. Not saying none. I am saying once we are gone not much left. This will certainly drop interest and demand. We all know it is demand and supply in the end.

I dont think the generations are exactly like that anymore , more like decades, not father son.

Boomers are born from from 1946 thru early 60s.

Generation X was after that meaning Punk and early 80s, rejecting Boomer values.

Gen Y followed with MTV generation

and now we have Gen Z or whatever for the recent trends.

Gen Xs are Boomers very younger sibs or kids born in the years before Boomers had kids old enough to change the system. Boomers kids are Gen Ys and Zs cause we had kids later in life than usual (30s not 20s as all previous generations did.)

from Wikipedia:

I was close enough....

The term Generation Y first appeared in an August 1993 AD Age editorial to describe those children born between 1984 -1994.[2] The scope of the term has changed greatly since then, to include, in many cases, anyone born as early as 1976 and late as 2000. There is still no precise definition of years, some theorists also place a cusp generation MTV generation between X and Y, 1975 - 1985.

Use of the term Generation Y (often shortened to Gen Y or Ygen) to describe any cohort of individuals is controversial for a variety of reasons. "Generation Y" alludes to a succession from "Generation X", a term which was originally coined as a pejorative label.

While Generation Y alludes to that cohort's successional relationship to Generation X, the term Echo Boomers is used to allude to the generation's close tie to the primary childbearing years of Baby Boomers; the term Second Baby Boom is also used in this way and to denote the population expansion that Generation Y represents. The terms Millennials and Internet generation are attempts to give the Gen Y cohort more independent names that are tied with key events and cultural trends that are strongly associated with the generation. No single term is the "correct" term to describe members of this generation.

Generation Y are primarily children of the Baby boomers and Generation Jones, though some are children of what Howe and Strauss refer to as the Silent Generation (sometimes referred to as Generation Z) or are children of older Gen X adults. Because of this, there is a perceived tendency to share social views with the Boomers and culture with Gen X, who serve chiefly as their 'older cousins' or even older siblings. The actual “Echo Boom” was a five year span between 1989 and 1993 when for the first time since 1964, the number of live births reached over four million. Previously, even the rate of 1965 (3.76 million) was not reached until 1985. Also it should be noted that the birthrate of 1971 (17.2%) has yet to be reached according to the 2000 census.[3]

A notable demographic shift should begin to occur in 2011 when the oldest Baby Boomers (b. 1946) hit the United States' legal retirement age of 65. As Boomers retire, more members of Generation X will be expected to take roles in middle and upper management and the large membership of Generation Y should take up positions in the lower half of the workforce, a process which could have possibly begun since some definitions have members of Gen Y in their late 20s.[citation needed]

Many Generation Y members are labeled as being "rebellious" or "rude," but this is often an incorrect label on a generation-unique trait. Generation Yers often do not recognize authority in the same way as Boomers or Xers do. Instead of "rebelling," they react based on what or how they feel when they are approached or spoken to by authoritative figures. Members of Generation Y are additionally more inclined to firmly believe in the "an eye for an eye" principle. Generations preceding Generation Y are not as subservient to authority.

Generation Z is the Generation succeeding Generation Y with its birth years beginning in the early 1990s and its ending point hotly debated possibly the events of 9/11 or later.[4].

lol I guess the point is generations overlap. Interesting the point of rebelling. You think this also the case with all the Adams covers selling for so/too much? Rebelling? Like I said what will happen when Gen x is gone and these "rebels" take over? Not saying all goes to but I think there are very little who appreciate the old stuff as much as boomers. You know what I am saying?

I would probably agree more so for Golden Age, but I still think SA has strong legs to stand on. Then again, there will always be SOME population collecting this stuff, and as we grow older, the amount will continue to dwindle too, so who knows?

whats funny about the idea of rebelling is that the Boomer 60s were the Biggest rebellion ever! Well as big a rebellion as the Beats years before them. As Brando said in the 50s, when asked "What are you rebelling against?"

"Whatve ya got?"

As an aging Boomer I'd like to point out that there are fewer and fewer of us that can afford high grade early Silver. I know when I sold my nicest AF 15 I'd ever seen for $8500, I had no idea similar condition copies would top $200,000. I can afford $8500 but not $200,000 and I think I can speak for most of us. However, I think demand for these books will continue even amongst you younger folks who also don't have 6 figures to plop down on an AF 15. WIth that in mind, I think low grade key Silver is a decent investment. While they won't go up proprtionally like high grade, there will be infinitely more potential buyers. Low grade copies of AF 15, Spidey 1, FF 1-5 Avengers 1, B&B 28 etc. should conyinue to do well over time

keith contarino

I think low grade key Silver is a decent investment. While they won't go up proprtionally like high grade, there will be infinitely more potential buyers. Low grade copies of AF 15, Spidey 1, FF 1-5 Avengers 1, B&B 28 etc. should conyinue to do well over time

keith contarino

This has been my thoughts for years. I've been shopping around picking up under valued VG silver aged books for my collection. I don't think they will appericate like HGs but I do see a small gain over time. There is simply to many people wanting a copy of AF#15 but can''t aford to drop 200k on it. So it would seem to me this would increase demand for VG books causing a small increase in value over time.