• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the market cooling?

106 posts in this topic

Lately I have been seeing better than avg prices for copper and bronze keys. I've noticed prices for NM 98, BA12, Ms. Marvel, TT2 and others can bought at lower than their recent highs.

I suppose CLink and hard to find items are the exception.

Anyone else noticing a trend? Weakening economy? Are we past the Avengers, GOTG, and other movie hysteria?

Are you investing or collecting?

If it is the later it does not matter.

Multiple reasons.

1) strong US dollar removes many potential buyers who don't live in the US

2) there is always a slow down about a month before Christmas.

3) strong surge of books on the market after people grading popular movie books and putting them on the market

etc, etc, etc.

The market has been 'cooling' and 'getting hot' for 50 years now.

#NailedIt.

Right now $600 USD is around $830 AUD (not including PayPal conversion rates). Then add shipping - $50 USD on average - around $70 AUD.

All of a sudden you're looking at a pretty much 1 grand via PayPal in dinky-di real money for a mid-range key.

Christmas is a big player too. I've won some books at ridiculous prices when the auction was finishing on Christmas Day.

Do you mean dollarydoos ?

photo dollarydoos_zpsqpfie1vd.jpg

It absolutely matters regardless of whether you're investing or collecting. As a collector, I don't want to pay high for an asset that's on it's way down. This is why, as a collector, I would prefer to be buying in a non-speculative era, where the market is less susceptible to "whipsawing," and thus you don't have to worry too much about the bottom coming out. But, we are in a speculation-movie era. I've posted on another thread that, imo, the market is in a conditionally temporary cooling off period that started end of the Summer, but it could turn into a bull again if BvS or Civil War or SS are runaway successes. Conversely, if these films put up relatively lousy numbers, the temporary cooling off could turn into a bear. It's the superhero movies -- and, to a lesser degree, TV shows -- that are the kerosene to the growth in prices. No surprises in the following: there is relative safety in the truly tough/tougher books (GA/early SA) and greater volatility in the books that are as common as corn. I shudder when I see on the census all those 9.8s and 9.6s of ASM300, NM98, NTT2, etc.

Collector of course. The better prices are great. The exchange rate is stopping me from impulse buys. I wouldn't be afraid to buy things that used to be parity, now I am more picky.

Feel the same way with the Canadian Dollar. I am not buying a lot because I have to add around 35% when buying in US Dollars vs. Canadian.

It absolutely matters regardless of whether you're investing or collecting. As a collector, I don't want to pay high for an asset that's on it's way down. This is why, as a collector, I would prefer to be buying in a non-speculative era, where the market is less susceptible to "whipsawing," and thus you don't have to worry too much about the bottom coming out. But, we are in a speculation-movie era. I've posted on another thread that, imo, the market is in a conditionally temporary cooling off period that started end of the Summer, but it could turn into a bull again if BvS or Civil War or SS are runaway successes. Conversely, if these films put up relatively lousy numbers, the temporary cooling off could turn into a bear. It's the superhero movies -- and, to a lesser degree, TV shows -- that are the kerosene to the growth in prices. No surprises in the following: there is relative safety in the truly tough/tougher books (GA/early SA) and greater volatility in the books that are as common as corn. I shudder when I see on the census all those 9.8s and 9.6s of ASM300, NM98, NTT2, etc.

You had me till there.

Those books are major copper keys. Not speculation.

Movies are just helping their already established values.

Those two books are just as common as HULK 181 but they all have the demand to support the supply.

World is ending....sell all comics at 25 cents on the dollar.

I can be reached via PM lol

Typically a slower time of the year for sales. People focusing on holiday.

Expect things to pick back up in Spring and into convention season. Not saying prices will continue to rise (or continue to fall for that matter) but should become slightly more stable.

I am paying 26¢ on the dollar.

hm

World is ending....sell all comics at 25 cents on the dollar.

I can be reached via PM lol

Typically a slower time of the year for sales. People focusing on holiday.

Expect things to pick back up in Spring and into convention season. Not saying prices will continue to rise (or continue to fall for that matter) but should become slightly more stable.

I am paying 26¢ on the dollar.

hm

His dollars are Canadian....mine are Yankee!

2200 copies of New Mutants #98 in CGC 9.8. Yikes!

There's probably no character among young MALE people that is more popular today than Deadpool, so that's to be expected.

For young (and adult) females it is Harley Quinn. (thumbs u

November through early December tends to be a great time to buy books for resale the following summer. Prices start heating up again post-Christmas when everyone is flush with Christmas gift cash. It has worked like clockwork since I started selling online via Ebay and Yahoo in the late 90s.

That being said, I am still getting close to GPA highs/setting new highs on books on eBay which is nice to see. Not all books are doing that, but there are enough to see a few interesting trends on minor keys that may be heating up a bit.

For comics that aren't considered keys or the hot flavor of the month, the market has been cooling for several years now.

True but the number of comics that are now considered keys or semi keys is amazing. For every title it seems there's some key or other. Swampthing 49 50, Daredevil 270 as examples. Even Spiderman books that were printed in the millions are easy sellers. Spiderman 1, 362 363 365 etc.

I'm astounded at what the late 1970s books are getting like She Hulk 1 and Rom 1 etc. Granted they may have peaked but they are easy sellers still. Any time you can get $10 for only a VF Rom 1 or She Hulk 1. I'll take it.

But yes, selling a run of Ghost Rider or Punisher isn't what it once was.

For comics that aren't considered keys or the hot flavor of the month, the market has been cooling for several years now.

True but the number of comics that are now considered keys or semi keys is amazing. For every title it seems there's some key or other. Swampthing 49 50, Daredevil 270 as examples. Even Spiderman books that were printed in the millions are easy sellers. Spiderman 1, 362 363 365 etc.

I'm astounded at what the late 1970s books are getting like She Hulk 1 and Rom 1 etc. Granted they may have peaked but they are easy sellers still. Any time you can get $10 for only a VF Rom 1 or She Hulk 1. I'll take it.

But yes, selling a run of Ghost Rider or Punisher isn't what it once was.

....... it kind of reminds me of the 70's, when I had started collecting in earnest. I was young, financially challenged, and devoured what I loved, which at the time was stacks of books that cost $1 to $ 5 and were sought for the enjoyment of having them to read. The runs were full of "keys" and 1st appearances and were cheap when you could find them. I couldn't have cared less about the Action 1's on the wall for 2 grand a pop. There's a lot of young turks, just like I was then, entering the "market" now.... scouring the dollar boxes for coolness and entertainment. These folks are getting some really well done 80's books by the stacks..... and some of them will still be coming back 40 years from now. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... the market has been on a meteoric rise for 15 years now....... it's plateau time...... but sometimes it's a good thing for the dust to settle.

i can't see the market continuing to rise like it has over the past few years.... when looking at past sales on Heritage, I was blown away by what super keys could be bought for about 8-10 years ago...

why couldn't I have had money then?

Nothing compared to the OA market. I started collecting OA about 6 or 7 years ago, the stuff has gotten so expensive, I am considering giving it up and going back to just collecting comics.

I think the market has been up and down for at least the last 15 years. It's probably longer than that but it's much easier to track since CGC and the internet has been around.

There's no doubt that common Bronze and Silver Age has taken a hit. And that's probably more a function of supply and demand. I remember some books like ASM #37 and FF #112 selling for some outrageous prices before the census filled out. But those prices were never sustainable or remotely rational. We're probably just seeing many books sell for more sensible prices.

That said, we'd probably need to look at the market over a much longer period of time to really make a good judgement. Maybe prices are generally down compared to two years ago. But over a five to ten year period? Maybe not.