• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

13 stress lines

18 posts in this topic

I once owned a Byrne X-Men issue with ELEVEN stress lines that somehow managed to grade a 9.4. It was graded during the Red Modern Label period, during which there was a period with an undergrading bias as well as an initial period of severe overgrading.

'Dogg is right...we'd have to see how deep the lines are before determining the grade. Also, the color of the cover matters as well - I have some white cover books with stress lines that were clearly not as penalized as those books with darker colored covers, as stress lines on the former do not stand out as much.

Gene

I've never agreed with deducting less for stresses/creases on a white-covered book (Spidey 16) than on a black covered book (Spidey 28) since, in theory, the extent of physical damage to the book is the same. However, after thinking about it a little more, maybe I should since I personally put a high value on eye appeal.

Anyhow, the latest OS Grading guide (which I don't have in front of me) delineates a quantity of spine stresses allowed in each grade, if you look up the quantitative description (3-5) of the qualitative descriptors ("few"). On one of the recent "Grade this mo' fo'" threads, I looked it up and I believe the guide only allows 3-5 spine stresses in VF! That's too harsh IMHO, as even NM books can have a couple teeny ss. Of course it also depends on the severity of the ss, but ELEVEN on a NM?? That's a little lenient...I'd be curious to hear what others think on, for example, how many 1/16" ss should be allowed in each grade (on an otherwise NM book).

I've scanned it but it's too large to post. blush.gif Over the 7000 or whatever amount of bytes. confused.gif Any pointers in the saving/compression of scans department? I'll get the scan posted somehow. smile.gif

According to the Overstreet Grading Guide:

Max.number of defects allowed in each grade chart 13 defects = FN-.

So if this is accurate, your book would grade a FN- at best, by Overstreet standards.

If the pages are off-white and the back cover is solid, I'd say it could get a VF.

I had an x-men 120 that had a few less spine stresses than your Captain Marvel (maybe 8-9 total) and it got a 9.2 from cgc. It was completely solid aside from that, though. Go figure.

I'll check the back and pages. Maybe get a scan in the mix. From what I remember the rest of it looked pretty good. Bought it raw at the San Diego con.

Thanks for all the opinions. smile.gif