• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age HERO Dcs

7 posts in this topic

Was wondering what you fellow golden age collectors felt the 5 most scarce DC golden age HERO era books are (not including ashcans, promotional stuff, etc). I know how hard it is to find some non-hero stuff (like New Adventure 26) but the hero stuff is what interests me and probably lots of others, so I'd like to hear some thoughts.

I'm far from an authority on this, but I think some of the final hero issues are notoriously difficult to find:

All-American Comics 99, 101, 102

Green Lantern 28 (this was one of Ian Levine's final 30 or so acquisitions)

All-Flash 30, 31, 32

Flash Comics 101, 102, 103, 104

Also, there are the Gerber Photo Journal missing issues, such as Flash Comics #56 and an issue of Star-Spangled Comics featuring the Newsboy Legion. I know people say these really aren't that hard to find-- don't know how they actually compare to the ones listed above, or to say Action #1. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm far from an authority on this, but I think some of the final hero issues are notoriously difficult to find:

All-American Comics 99, 101, 102

All-Flash 30, 31, 32

Flash Comics 101, 102, 103, 104

Also, there are the Gerber Photo Journal missing issues, such as Flash Comics #56 and an issue of Star-Spangled Comics featuring the Newsboy Legion. I know people say these really aren't that hard to find-- don't know how they actually compare to the ones listed above, or to say Action #1. confused-smiley-013.gif

I would add the late WW Sensations. Last 10 issues or so.

Was wondering what you fellow golden age collectors felt the 5 most scarce DC golden age HERO era books are (not including ashcans, promotional stuff, etc).

FLASH 56 (never turns up)

FLASH 104 (but this was a toss-up between this and number 43)

GREEN LANTERN 30

ADVENTURE 40

ALL FLASH 32 (the actual rarest of the lot)

But NONE of the superhero comics are a fraction as rare as the pre-heroes and stuff like Buzzy 70, and some of the romance comics.

Plus the early New Funs and New Comics are just so rare and hardly ever surface.

Compared to those, Superman and Batman stuff is positively abundant.

And the nineties comic, Beautiful Stories For Ugly Children, especially the later issues, are rarer than any Golden Age superhero comic.

Nope, it's issue 30 not 28.

Right-o. thumbsup2.gif Got my wires crossed: GL 28 (first Sportsmaster) is the one I have. GL 30 (first Streak) is one of the many I'm looking for. 28 shows up fairly often. Other than the one Ian nabbed on eBay, I can only remember seeing 1 copy of #30 for sale.

GL 30 (first Streak) is one of the many I'm looking for. 28 shows up fairly often. Other than the one Ian nabbed on eBay, I can only remember seeing 1 copy of #30 for sale.

I do now actually have a spare copy, as well as All Flash 32, because I upgraded them both, and believe me THAT was difficult.