• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1 staple, and the cover is detached..help!

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys, need a hand here after searching to no immediate avail. Came across a nice book in great shape... But it has only 1 and MAJOR flaw: damage around the 1 staple has left the cover detached. Otherwise it's very nice. My question is whether this would be a restoration job, or bite the low grade due to the cover situation? As a 2.0, guide is over 1k.

Hey guys, need a hand here after searching to no immediate avail. Came across a nice book in great shape... But it has only 1 and MAJOR flaw: damage around the 1 staple has left the cover detached. Otherwise it's very nice. My question is whether this would be a restoration job, or bite the low grade due to the cover situation? As a 2.0, guide is over 1k.

I would be inclined to have it graded as is. Financially, I think having the cover reattached and getting a purple label would not work out. Otoh, if you are adding the book to your collection and want to read it, having someone reattach the cover for you (in a way that can be reversed) might make sense.

I would agree with the premise that if the book is for "investment", it should be left as-is.

If for adding to your collection and it will remain in a Mylar bag, again, no reason to add the staple.

If for reading, you simply remove the cover and set it aside, read the pages, then put it back together when done.

In short, unless you are going to keep it and it bugs you that the cover is detached, there's really no reason to alter it's present condition.

I know I'm going against the grain on this one. but I don't see the big deal to have the book professionally reattached to the cover. It'll garner a conserved label and not restored. Only issue i have is "pieces added and extensive color touch"..

I'm mean come on man, only the purest would be bothered by that.

I have a early Action thats detached and was told it could be reattached and still stay a blue cgc. There is no restoration or conserved reattaching a cover.

Now all books might not work but mine is just staple pull just needs to be put back under the staple.

Here's the update. It was an estate sale, and there were jamokes all around. Turns out the detached cover I saw...was attached earlier but in peril. It got hosed as did one of the books I bought. Spoke with buyer, he was aware but Not happy, obviously. I'll upload a snap later, and honestly, you'll pull your hair out, seeing what book it is, and the condition.

Here's the update. It was an estate sale, and there were jamokes all around. Turns out the detached cover I saw...was attached earlier but in peril. It got hosed as did one of the books I bought. Spoke with buyer, he was aware but Not happy, obviously. I'll upload a snap later, and honestly, you'll pull your hair out, seeing what book it is, and the condition.

First time I've seen that word. So. the cover was attached, but as people handled it during the auction, it became detached? You aren't the buyer? hm

Nope, I got into a bidding fight with another guy in the room, but I eventually bowed out. The book is gorgeous. It appears the Jabronis in the room damaged a few other books... I'm checking pics now, as one of the books I won may also be a Before/After casualty. I'll have pics up soon.

So... drumroll...Here it is. As you can see, there's a wee bit of damage at the top left of the cover, slight rounding at spine bottom, and the lower right corner of the cover is not creased, but was kind of folded up. NO spine marks. The picture frankly does not do it justice- lots of gloss... it might have been the prettiest book there, in addition to its magnitude.

allselect1_zps34rnfzb4.jpg

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Sackolantern21c/allselect1_zps34rnfzb4.jpg

Man that sucks, so what did it sell for. Shame to see a books damaged but that is why some auction houses are not letting people handle stuff like this.

That being said on this book it is likely worth more left alone.

James G

I think the final price might not be my bit of info to share, but given the market from limited research efforts on my part before and after the fact, I think he did very well. Frankly, I was most of his competition on that and a few other books. While there were some very nice late 30's early 40's books, the majority were beaten up, but there were some gorgeous captain marvel adventures issues that were a true pleasure to see in the wild, all from an original owner collection.

I think the final price might not be my bit of info to share, but given the market from limited research efforts on my part before and after the fact, I think he did very well. Frankly, I was most of his competition on that and a few other books. While there were some very nice late 30's early 40's books, the majority were beaten up, but there were some gorgeous captain marvel adventures issues that were a true pleasure to see in the wild, all from an original owner collection.

True.