• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade this Fantastic Four #25

35 posts in this topic

Even after reading the comments, I maintain my first opinion of VG+ and no lower than VG certainly. The defects are there but on the whole the book is solid for this range and the back cover is nice.

I'm almost tempted to submit this book and throw it in my next batch of Economy's just to feed my curiosity with this book. It's a solid book but there are a number of defects and as whole makes it a difficult book to come to a conclusion about. Thanks for the input guys thumbsup2.gif

I'm almost tempted to submit this book and throw it in my next batch of Economy's just to feed my curiosity with this book. It's a solid book but there are a number of defects and as whole makes it a difficult book to come to a conclusion about.

I'm curious, too (not that I'm advising you to use a submission on it). This is the kind of book that makes the grading forum interesting. I really enjoy reading everyone's opinions and comments when faced with these tougher low-mid grade copies.

thumbsup2.gif

For what it's worth, by my rough calculations, the consensus grade from the posters on this thread comes out to just a hair under 4.0.

3.0 sumo.gif perhaps a 3.5 gossip.gifThat rusted top staple is a killer IMHO confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, OS says staples can be discolored in VG but can be rusted in the 3.0 grade so 3.5 might be about right 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Take a look at the book on page 227 in the Fine Plus 6.5 section. It has not only a rusted staple, but a staple that is so badly rusted that the rust is migrating onto the surrounding paper.

In fact, slight rust migration is allowed all the way up to 7.0 in the grading guide. See page 212 and 214.

What the heck are people seeing that are giving this book 3.0/3.5 ?!? My God, that's BRUTAL.

No worse than 5.0. sumo.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif Well, having the book in hand I originally went with a grade of 4.0 wanting to be conservative but these mid/lower grade books are tough for me. The grades have quite a range for this book from here on the forums. I have a bunch of higher grade Economy submissions waiting to go in - maybe I'll find out the grade on this one as well - stay tuned perhaps in, oh about 6 months 27_laughing.gif

Drew

What the heck are people seeing that are giving this book 3.0/3.5 ?!? My God, that's BRUTAL.

893applaud-thumb.gif Well, having the book in hand I originally went with a grade of 4.0 wanting to be conservative but these mid/lower grade books are tough for me.

Check out the Overstreet Grading Guide and you'll see this book easily falls into the 5.0 range and would be NO worse than a 4.5.

I've long since stopped asking for opinions on my books on this boards because (1) I'm a pretty accurate grader and I've found I'm almost always within .5 of CGC in contests, so there's no need for a group opinion, and (2), I've seen a tendency here for some folks to whack the hell out of midgrade books. High grade elitism manifests itself in harshly judging mid or lower grade books. confused-smiley-013.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif Well, having the book in hand I originally went with a grade of 4.0 wanting to be conservative but these mid/lower grade books are tough for me.

Check out the Overstreet Grading Guide and you'll see this book easily falls into the 5.0 range and would be NO worse than a 4.5.

I've long since stopped asking for opinions on my books on this boards because (1) I'm a pretty accurate grader and I've found I'm almost always within .5 of CGC in contests, so there's no need for a group opinion, and (2), I've seen a tendency here for some folks to whack the hell out of midgrade books. High grade elitism manifests itself in harshly judging mid or lower grade books. confused-smiley-013.gif

gotta side with Zipper and FFB on this one. just look at the book as a whole and it's actually quite nice, which isn't what i'd expect in the 3.0 4.5 grades. i'll stick with my original opinion of a 5.0.

almost every book that i ever posted before grading came back higher than the boards concensus opinion. i agree that we're all tougher on others books - right Diva?!?!? grin.gif

Take a look at the book on page 227 in the Fine Plus 6.5 section. It has not only a rusted staple, but a staple that is so badly rusted that the rust is migrating onto the surrounding paper.

We must have different books, because in mine the Subby #1 on p. 227 has a slightly discolored staple NOT a staple that is so badly rusted that the rust is migrating onto the surrounding paper.

makepoint.gif

gotta side with Zipper and FFB on this one. just look at the book as a whole and it's actually quite nice, which isn't what i'd expect in the 3.0 4.5 grades. i'll stick with my original opinion of a 5.0.

almost every book that i ever posted before grading came back higher than the boards concensus opinion. i agree that we're all tougher on others books - right Diva?!?!? grin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif

everyone's got one particular type of defect that sticks in in their craw . . . for me it's a rusted staple. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif

everyone's got one particular type of defect that sticks in in their craw . . . for me it's a rusted staple. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

for me, it's no covers and no book. insane.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif

for me, it's no covers and no book. insane.gif

Yeah, I can see how that would be a mild irritant....