• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man-Thing?

11 posts in this topic

If Man-thing first appeared in Savage Tales #1, how come I can't find a nice copy? CGC doesnt even list it so nobody has had one graded, and search the whole of Ebay, only one shows up. Search all the major comic shops, they don't even list the title!!! Cant be that bad, Howard the duck came from this series to, what a classic!!!! Any ideas?

Savage Tales #1 is a magazine hence the reason CGC has not graded this book...also because it is a magazine with the story in B&W it was not collected with as much fervor as a comic book therefore it is a little tougher to find in high grade(but not impossible)....keep looking on ebay...they do pop up from time to time and CGC will be grading magazines , hopefully in the near future...

Thanks for that reply. So, does anyone around here have a nice copy? And furthermore, Is this a counted as first full appearance? I know the first full story was Fear #15??

Man Thing's first full color story was in Fear 10 (very nice artwork by Gray Morrow), which you should be able to pick up relatively cheaply. Savage Tales 1 is a legitimately hard book to find, there were distribution problems on it as it was Marvel's first "monster" mag. Check with some of the bigger dealers (Harley, Metropolis, Superworld) as they may be able to find it for you.

Tough to find in grade definetely. Nicest I've found so far is posted below and I've been actively looking for one for months. Depending on how CGC grades magazines I'm thinking this one is a 9.4. Any opinions out there? savagetales1.jpg

Overstreet says Man-Thing's 2nd appearance is in Astonishing Tales # 12. But, if I remember correctly, that story is in black + white and only 7 pages I think (Neal Adams!) So then OPG lists Man-Thing's 3rd appearance as Astonishing Tales # 13 which I don't own. Is that one B+W too, or just not full length?

And OPG says Fear # 15 is the first full length Man-Thing story. Is this incorrect? (I don't have that one either).

Because you asked?

I have a nice copy. Bought it on e-bay. I am sure it's at least a 9.0, maybe a 9.2? Not as nice as the scanned one up above, but almost. I seem to remember paying about $60.00 - $70.00, not sure. They absolutely do come up from time to time so please do keep looking.

I always thought one of the reasons it was hard to find was because it had "for the mature reader" printed on the cover. So, a lot of stores (because they sold to kids) either refused or were advised not to stock it. smile.gif