• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Borock Interview On STL Comics

116 posts in this topic

He said that before.......then we caught PGX-it doctoring his scans to show an older grading date

So then PGX said they were accepting his submissions again 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So why should we believe him this time?

You're 100% right about that. I was just passing the information along though.

Its a LONG story but basicly about every book that has been crossed over from one of his PGX books has been a plod on a CGC book. That's around 6 or 7. PGX has been missing the resto.

He has also doctored scans, (but then it looks like so did PGX) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif and also accused of other highly questionable behavior.

This guy has single handedly ruined PGX.

Its a LONG story but basicly about every book that has been crossed over from one of his PGX books has been a plod on a CGC book. That's around 6 or 7. PGX has been missing the resto.

He has also doctored scans, (but then it looks like so did PGX) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif and also accused of other highly questionable behavior.

I agree. This one dealer and his questionable ties to PGX amounts for the largest part of the negative reputation for PGX. If PGX wants to regain any kind of reputation back they will get away from this guy permanently. But the fact that Leder has changed his name to "PGX-it" in and of itself is mind boggling. Why does this guy want to promote PGX that way? Does this guy ever get any of his books CGC graded? The whole thing has just always been a mystery. Just makes no sense at all.

I agree. This one dealer and his questionable ties to PGX amounts for the largest part of the negative reputation for PGX. If PGX wants to regain any kind of reputation back they will get away from this guy permanently. But the fact that Leder has changed his name to "PGX-it" in and of itself is mind boggling. Why does this guy want to promote PGX that way? Does this guy ever get any of his books CGC graded? The whole thing has just always been a mystery. Just makes no sense at all.

One of the things I took from the interview is that some minor, unfounded claims about questionable business alliances notwithstanding, CGC, unlike CGG/PGA/PGX, passes the integrity test so far despite being "under the world's largest microscope". Issues such as does pressing = restoration, SCS, or disagreements about grading criteria are all relatively minor to maintaining integrity. Perhaps the biggest questions concerning integrity center around grades that change (e.g., with Heritage), but by taking a position that pressing is not restoration, books changing grades is totally legimate.

Regarding the argument whether pressing is restoration, wouldn't it be impossible for CGC to operate if they had to determine accurately if every book submitted was pressed? So whether you accept their argument or not regarding their stance on pressing, don't they simply take the only logical and practical position?

thanks Rip / Sid

Regarding the argument whether pressing is restoration, wouldn't it be impossible for CGC to operate if they had to determine accurately if every book submitted was pressed? So whether you accept their argument or not regarding their stance on pressing, don't they simple take the only logical and practical position?

I actually tend to agree. While I AM in the "pressing is restoration" camp, it can be near impossible and, I'm sure in some cases, impossible to detect. The problem (as I MAY have said before insane.gif) is the application of the term "pressing" to apply to anything from a one inch bend to a full book, combined with the many techniques used in pressing. It is not like a color touch where, basically, you apply color to a part of the book with the color missing. Sure there are variances there but the basic method is the same, only the materials usually differ (some use acrylics, some use watercolor etc.). While a very small color touch can stand out eaily to a trained eye, and even an untrained eye, the amount of effort to verify the whole book in hopes of detecting a one-inch press would adversely impact how long it takes to grade the books, would probably delay even more the turnaround times, would probably cause a price increase, and still would not be 100%.

Another factor is the natural handling of the book can cause areas that may APPEAR to have localized pressing. Detecting of SOME pressing IS easy enough (especially color-breaking creases or a spine roll removal). But now that the term pressing as discussed here is so all-encompassing, detection is a whole different thing.

Issues such as does pressing = restoration, SCS, or disagreements about grading criteria are all relatively minor to maintaining integrity.

confused.gif

OK. Perhaps I should have said "to issues that suggest any degree of lack of integrity"

I guess someday technology will provide an easy way to detect pressing. Then, I assume, because intent cannot be easily deduced and some pressing can occur via "natural" means, books will simply have to be downgraded (not labelled restored) for the types of structural flaws you mention that pressing does not fix.

I guess someday technology will provide an easy way to detect pressing. Then, I assume, because intent cannot be easily deduced and some pressing can occur via "natural" means, books will simply have to be downgraded (not labelled restored) for the types of structural flaws you mention that pressing does not fix.

Which means that what happens now will happen then - if pressing is not detected, there's no downgrade and no detectable damage to the book, if the pressing is detected, that means it was done incorrectly and has damaged the book (which is how it was identified in the first place), and the book is downgraded. What once was old will be new again... foreheadslap.gif

my slight disappointment with the interview was that basically nothing was said that was new or noteworthy.... except the flip tone which was uncharacteristic for Steve. Somehow I got the feeling that he approached it professionally enough, but as he felt his way through the format and questions, he took it easy. Almost as if he realized it was not (how do I say this) not a "real" interview. Maybe it was because he has answered all these questions before. Maybe it was STLs association with Hammer.... and that Hammer actually had a question for him. Maybe it was just that it was a STL Boards interview which was in some small way perhaps a conflict with this, CGCs own boards. (Im not featuring this one so much since many of the posters over there are also here, and they were asking the questions for the most part).

But overall, Steve was did not have his usual game face on.... as evidenced by his glib answer on the pressing question.

Just dropped my daughter off at her moms after a great weekend cloud9.gif and I see this stuff, WOW!

I thought I was having fun with the interview, after all, questions were being asked by Dupcek/hammer, the pga guy, and also because there were many of the same questions I have answered (time and again) on here, at cons, and at the forum dinners. Except, of course, Scott's question tongue.gif

I think from now on I will stick to no-nonsense interviews. confused-smiley-013.gif

The trouble with interviews like that one is that you either come across as flip or a politician - plus it's hard to be balanced when one of your questioners has a dubious or spurious agenda and asks inflammatory questions.

Was the interview done over the phone or face to face?

Slowly I turned...step by step....inch by inch.....I was face to face with Hammer/Koos/Dupcek!

stooges.gif

Goodnight everyone!

...Why ciotenly!!!.....

Just dropped my daughter off at her moms after a great weekend cloud9.gif and I see this stuff, WOW!

I thought I was having fun with the interview, after all, questions were being asked by Dupcek/hammer, the pga guy, and also because there were many of the same questions I have answered (time and again) on here, at cons, and at the forum dinners. Except, of course, Scott's question tongue.gif

I think from now on I will stick to no-nonsense interviews. confused-smiley-013.gif

I guess I was close enough, based on your reply, Steve. Just underscores what you must realize by now, that a part (a large part?) of your job at CGC is political, and when you are being quoted, you gotta toe the line. cause theres no bonus points handed out for letting your guard down, huh? And it must get boring always being so cautios and PC, especially for a wild man like you!!!

Cheers mate!