• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade, part 1

27 posts in this topic

Since I've got several books that were released from their plastic prisons back at the beginning of CGC, here are a few of the scans for sharpening grading skills. I'll post the CGC label for the first one sometime Sunday. Good luck! thumbsup2.gif

Old blue label, with the notation "slight pre-Marvel chipping", pages C/OW. The pre-chipping is on the right edge, halfway down.

asm4front.jpg

asm4back.jpg

It looks like a pre-chip (you know how they are somewhat jagged?), and also there are two smaller pre-chips higher up on the right edge. Here is a closeup, with arrowheads pointing to the three pre-chips:

749692-asm4frontedge.jpg

749692-asm4frontedge.jpg.c1166fd211be4691dcde5a1c185da846.jpg

It looks like a pre-chip (you know how they are somewhat jagged?), and also there are two smaller pre-chips higher up on the right edge. Here is a closeup, with arrowheads pointing to the three pre-chips:

749692-asm4frontedge.jpg

Just because they were tight 893censored-thumb.gifed in the early days.

I was more focused on the very middle, right edge of the book right across the black line. Is that a printer crease or the outline of a tear/chip?

A pre-chip.

7.5....Marvel pre chip was not a big down grade...the missing colour on the overflash is and also the back cover crease???

An astute observation there r1970d, for there is, indeed, a nearly 1 inch indent on the back cover from the bottom extending up to the letter "a" in Wallace.

I was thinking 8.5 until I saw that crease. I'm personally going with 8.0 because of the crease. 8.5 would be too much and I think 7.5 would be too much of a hit for a book this nice.

BTW, anyone who is saying CGC is not as strict now should try to submit some books. Either they are hating on me, or they have tightened up considerably. I agree they were a tad lax when the new label came out, but in the last 4 months or so I've seen the grading tighten up a bit. Just me I guess.