• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Water damage or a really bad press job

40 posts in this topic

what did they press it with. the front tire off 69 malibu?

Thank you, the voice of reason. The book got wet. It is most certainly NOT a bad press job.

One would think. But if it got wet the interior pages would also have rippling and you would expect some evidence of water like dull areas or tide lines. This book only had issue with the cover.

The plot thickens hm

I missed you were the OP Joey. :blush: I didn't see any pictures of the interior pages. If the

book simply got wet, one would expect some rippling to the interior pages along with the covers. But on newer books with the paper not having aged much, it's not unheard of for there to be very little in the way of tide lines.

Wavy through the book from a bad press job you see to often. This book.... I mean how do you go about pressing it to make it look like this? Especially if you say the interior pages aren't wavy or rippled? Remove the cover and press it with a landscaping stones?

OK, being more serious, now that I know it was a more serious question. You could probably screw a book up like this by hand pressing with an ordinary steam iron. And that could easily be something that wouldn't have near as much effect on the interior pages.

what did they press it with. the front tire off 69 malibu?

Thank you, the voice of reason. The book got wet. It is most certainly NOT a bad press job.

One would think. But if it got wet the interior pages would also have rippling and you would expect some evidence of water like dull areas or tide lines. This book only had issue with the cover.

The plot thickens hm

I missed you were the OP Joey. :blush: I didn't see any pictures of the interior pages. If the

book simply got wet, one would expect some rippling to the interior pages along with the covers. But on newer books with the paper not having aged much, it's not unheard of for there to be very little in the way of tide lines.

Wavy through the book from a bad press job you see to often. This book.... I mean how do you go about pressing it to make it look like this? Especially if you say the interior pages aren't wavy or rippled? Remove the cover and press it with a landscaping stones?

OK, being more serious, now that I know it was a more serious question. You could probably screw a book up like this by hand pressing with an ordinary steam iron. And that could easily be something that wouldn't have near as much effect on the interior pages.

If the release paper was re-used a lot with books that had high humidity, wrinkles form on the release paper. Those wrinkles are pressed into the book. If its just the covers and not interiors, im guessing a backing board was placed between the covers and the book so only the covers got the wrinkles and not the interiors. I did this many times when i first started pressing. When i saw the book, i already knew what happened from doing it soo many times to my own.

As bad as that looked, and some of you still say pressing is not restoration. If you paid big money for that book and then saw the before picture, you would feel cheated.

hm

If you read the story you'll feel even more cheated that the pages aren't blank.

As bad as that looked, and some of you still say pressing is not restoration. If you paid big money for that book and then saw the before picture, you would feel cheated.

hm

If you read the story you'll feel even more cheated that the pages aren't blank.

lol

:applause:

so was this all a mechanism to show off someone's amazing pressing skillz?

i would have assumed the book was just water damaged, but i'd want to see the interior pages. i certainly have had stuff like that and it had nothing to do with a bad press job.