• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping companies during the Holiday season

9 posts in this topic

Just a business vent I want to throw out there.

I understand that this time of year brings temporary drivers and the need to get rid of the packages that never seem to stop coming.

But many businesses and people tip their delivery guys and this is the season where that generally happens.

My cracked case deliveries always goes up this time of year.

So if you want people to tip wtf are you throwing my packages around?

I'm also seeing more of the Ding Dong/Drop/Run and Gun the truck to get to the next delivery. Never mind that the delivery requires a signature.

No replies necessary.

Bob

I pack items two ways.

- The way I pack them Jan 15 - Nov 15.

- The way I pack them Nov 16 - Jan 14.

I have about twice as much material costs and 50% more time on the second period. Worth every penny. Experience is a harsh mistress.

I understand that this time of year brings temporary drivers and the need to get rid of the packages that never seem to stop coming.

But many businesses and people tip their delivery guys and this is the season where that generally happens.

I'm also seeing more of the Ding Dong/Drop/Run and Gun the truck to get to the next delivery. Never mind that the delivery requires a signature.

No replies necessary.

Bob

It's not just the temp drivers. I'm sure our mail carrier is expecting a tip, and if they didn't leave all our packages sitting on the road under our mailbox (you read that right, they're left ON THE ROAD) they might have gotten one. Thanks to their fine service I had a $900 book sit in a thunderstorm overnight. Luckily Heritage packed it beautifully and it survived, but it should never have happened in the first place. This is why I now have a PO box for books.

No replies necessary.

Bob

I told you a manila envelope wouldn't protect the slabs. :P

My mail is coming several hours later than usual, and it's not the same mailman. I think our post office is swamped.

When it comes to Fedex and UPS, the major problem is probably this. In 2009 I was laid off from my job driving a concrete mixer right around late summer, so I was bouncing around from job to job, all the kind of seasonal dead end low wage stuff nobody wants, and I got a job offer to drive a truck again. I call the guy up and he says I'll be delivering Fedex and UPS packages, but I wouldn't be an employee of Fedex or UPS, I'd be an employee of his. It was seasonal, no benefits whatsoever, and the pay was one dollar per package delivered. He said the truck could be loaded with as many as 80 packages, and you work until it's empty. He said he didn't want complainers and it could very well be 12 hour days.

12 hours a day for $80 and no benefits, with a certain pink slip after Christmas? I said no thanks. It's no wonder those guys don't care about the packages.