• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The edowens71 Comic Journal
6 6

230 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So, a quick summary recap...if you rewind a couple of pages in this thread to the end of 2017, I was talking about my "missing 10" ECs:

Across the Seas in a War Torn World
Church that was Built with Bread
KO Punch
Out of the Past a Clue to the Future
Picture Stories From the Bible Complete Old Testament 6th printing
Picture Stories From the Bible Complete Old Testament 7th printing
Reddy Kilowatt 1B (Reddy Made Magic, 1956)
Reddy Kilowatt 2B (Light's Diamond Jubilee, 1954)
Reddy Kilowatt 3B (Space Kite, S. Calif. edition, 1956)
Wonders of Wire Rope

As of the beginning of 2024, here is what this list of "missing ECs" looked like (after incorporating recent acquisitions and updates to the "completist list" I outline above):

(1) Church that was Built with Bread
(2) KO Punch
(3) Out of the Past a Clue to the Future

(4) Reddy Kilowatt 3B (Space Kite, S. Calif. edition, 1956)
(5) Reddy Kilowatt 3C (Space Kite, S. Calif. edition, 1957)

(6) Picture Stories From the Bible Complete Old Testament 8th printing (characterized by a blank price circle on the front cover)

Yes, as of the beginning of 2024, I was missing 6 of the 478 ECs from my new and improved completist list: 5 seemingly impossible to obtain promo comics + a Bible book printing that I have never seen for sale (but isn't supposed to be terribly hard). The only one of those 5 promo books that I've ever seen for sale is the KO Punch...which I missed out on at auction. Missing out on the KO Punch was a (gutwrenching) key event that left me dejected and led me to start rationalizing how I could redefine my completist list to not include the promos (i.e., they were not copyrighted by EC, I argued to myself...)

Edited by EC ed

On 3/15/2024 at 7:29 PM, EC ed said:

So, a quick summary recap...if you rewind a couple of pages in this thread to the end of 2017, I was talking about my "missing 10" ECs:
.Missing out on the KO Punch was a (gutwrenching) key event that left me dejected and led me to start rationalizing how I could redefine my completist list to not include the promos (i.e., they were not copyrighted by EC, I argued to myself...)

But the Superior-EC's are! :baiting:

WAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAA!

:gossip: (but they are foreign editions - just pull an Ian and define your quest as only US comics)

Edited by sfcityduck

On 3/15/2024 at 8:30 PM, sfcityduck said:

But the Superior-EC's are! :baiting:

WAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAA!

:gossip: (but they are foreign editions - just pull an Ian and define your quest as only US comics)

There are also a few British, Australian and Mexican ECs if you truly want to be a completist…

On 3/16/2024 at 5:42 AM, EC ed said:

So now let me share what has happened in 2024 that has reinvigorated my quest to obtain all 478 books on my completist checklist. Some of you who have been paying attention to stuff that goes on around here may have already guessed...

There's so much I want to say, but I'll try to keep it brief. You know how there are often really cool stories associated with the acquisition of a rare book? Well, this one ranks right up there...

About one month ago to the day, I see a post here in the "Newbie Collecting" forum by @flip25 that basically says "I just found this book in some old stuff I inherited from my Grandparents/Dad...does anyone know anything about this?" It was a copy of KO Punch :whatthe: . This makes 7 copies I know of in existence, but who's counting :D ? (there are 4 CGC slabbed copies + 1 raw copy that sold on eBay about 10 years ago + 1 hole-punched raw copy that sold on Heritage about 15 years ago...+ this copy that Flip just uncovered)

I reached out to Flip and explained my collecting quest, and it resonated. In the end, Flip decided that he could do a lot worse than doing a deal with me. I understand that Flip was getting advice from some other boardies as well, and apparently the general consensus was that I'm not too much of a jerk, and that he could indeed do worse than allowing me to be the next custodian of this treasure. To those of you who helped in this way, thank you! And to Flip, I SALUTE YOU - really, really cool of you - not everyone would have done this (worship)

Here she is now, resting comfortably in mylar + microchamber paper: 

kopunch_f.thumb.jpg.6e728909a789af00524a041371cb8df8.jpg

Notice the distribution stamp from the Iowa Department of Health...the raw copy that sold on eBay years ago also had this stamp...go Iowa!!! 

Here she is alongside my other (non-Reddy Kilowatt) EC promos:

ECPromos_NonReddy_031524.thumb.jpg.b0d0316661e26c9205af0de4a1a1d220.jpg

Now, the only things missing from this picture are Out of the Past a Clue to the Future, and Church that was Built with Bread. If anyone finds a copy of those laying around in an old box somewhere please let me know :D :wishluck:

Good to hear Ed. Sometimes, things end up where they should be. 

On 3/17/2024 at 2:39 AM, Robot Man said:

There are also a few British, Australian and Mexican ECs if you truly want to be a completist…

While on the subject of Australian ECs, a Heritage auction I didn't win a few years had a photo of a few, and a list of other books in the lot, which included Piracy #4. I have #1 and #3 but haven't ever seen a #4, and none of the comic database sites list it. Has anyone ever seen one? I emailed Heritage to see if I could get a photo but didn't hear back.