• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Batman reading

9 posts in this topic

Hi. I'd like to start reading some modern Batmans, but there are so many I have no idea which ones are good or where to start. There's all the New52 stuff, Batman, Detective Comics, Legends of the Dark Knight, etc etc.

Anyone have any suggestions on which series to read/not read?

Thanks!

Definitely NEW52 BATMAN. You can also check out he LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT trades collecting the tales in neat packages. it's a nice range of stories by artists & writers you don't normally see on the character.

I would also recommend reading DETECTIVE COMICS: THE BLACK MIRROR which is a collection that took place in DETECTIVE COMICS prior to NEW52 reboot and kicked off Scott Snyder's career and assocation with the Dark Knight. He teamed up with Jock & Francesco Francavilla on the book and each issue had two stories, somewhat like the MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS format of the 80s.

BATMAN: YEAR 100 is a "What If.." of sorts that's written and drawn by Paul Pope about the resurgence of Batman in a corrupt future Gotham. The future looked similar to SPIDER-MAN 2099 and the art may put off some people but the tale is pretty good. It's the story of Batman into interesting territory.

BATMAN: VENOM is a story in LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT Vol. #1 that tell the origin of the very drug Bane uses to power himself up. Written by famed Bat-writer/editor Denny O'neill with art by Trevor Von Eeden & Inks by the amazing Jose Luis Garcia Lopez, the tale asks the question of what lengths would you go to save someone? Great tale & art.

BATMAN: DEATH IN THE FAMILY with Art by Jim Aparo and written by Jim Starlin, it's the classic tale of the death of the second Robin, Jason Todd.

Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale took the Dark Knight in interesting territory by expanding on Batman's earlier years in BATMAN: THE LONG HALLOWEEN and BATMAN: DARK VICTORY. The duo first work on Batman when Archie Goodwin hired them to do a few holiday related tales in LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT (Collected in BATMAN: HAUNTED KNIGHT). Seeing how interesting, engaging and successful they were with those stories, the three decided to do an expansion on the Dark Knight's origin by doing (2) year long mysteries (starting wth LONG HALLOWEEN) that explained how Gotham transitioned from beng ruled by the mafia to being tormented by the eventual residents of Arkham Asylum.

If you're looking for Batman: The Animated Series fix, check out all the BATMAN ADVENTURES trades currently in shops. I think there are 3 volumes out right now and they are just as good as the animated series.

Hope that helps.

For Batman New 52, I prefer the annual stories.

Batman DK New 52 was also pretty good.

Detective 597-600. A great story in the prelude to the Batman movie in the late 80s. An underrated and never followed up story line.

Blind Justice was a good one that was collected in trade containing Detective 598-600.

Safest bet is to try the first 10 to 12 issues of Batman New52 that you can easily find in trades by Snyder.