• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic shops in Toronto - any recommenations

31 posts in this topic

I may finally make it up to Toronto and check it out. My wife and I want to get out of town for the four day New Years weekend and with the great exchange rate Canada is our destination. Please send me a PM if you live there and have a New Years Eve suggestion for out of towners.

But while I'm up north is there a great comic shop to buy some books at?

I will be in Nova Scotia :( I would recommend if your doing new year s to go to Niagara falls instead (1.5hr drive) . They have a free outdoor concert yes its a bit chilly but normally a good time. Also do fireworks

http://www.niagarafallstourism.com/events/new-years-eve-niagara-falls/

If you haven't been to the falls it's well worth going... Especially if it gets really cold and frozen.

In terms of Toronto shops I'm no help there but in Niagara you have 3

Sketchbook in St catharines. Haven't been there in a while but it's a small magic and new comic shop

Mostly in St catharines has new comics and dollar book back issues

Big b in Niagara falls new books trades and statues no back issues from beyond like 2 years.

Andrew, where are you staying in Toronto?

Paradise Comics on Yonge St. They are going through a renovation but they always have something worth looking at.

Big B Comics has 3 locations but their Hamilton location is best for back issues. It's about 40 minutes outside of Toronto in Hamilton (think Cleveland / Akron) but on the way to Niagara Falls should you go.

Those are the big two that come to my mind.

Great info guys. My wife put the no vote in for Niagara Falls since she would rather go to dinner and a show over the outdoor concert so it looks like we will be experiencing a few days in beautiful Toronto. I'm going to lock in our hotel this week but it will probably be close to downtown but we will have a car so driving isn't an issue.

Roy - thanks for the two shop references. Are the prices in Canadian but set to the FMV for the book in the states? I'm excited to go further into Canada then the Falls.

I'm going to lock in our hotel this week but it will probably be close to downtown but we will have a car so driving isn't an issue.

The big out door New Years Eve celebration in Toronto happens at City Hall. You can stay at the Sheraton Center hotel on Queen St. It is literally across the road from City Hall and makes for a convenient home base. Be warned, it's a strict alcohol free zone, meaning no drinking outside, but you can always walk to a bar or your hotel room for a drink if you need one.

The reason I like that option is because the party is outside with concerts all night long, etc but you can always walk to your room if you want a break or to warm up. If you get a room facing the City Hall you can also just watch everything from your room.

The view is awesome and there is a public skating rink there as well.

Here are pics from Google of what you can expect to see from your room. This is City Hall across the road from the hotel. Of course you can stay anywhere in the city as public transit is pretty good (and I believe it might even be free NYE) but this is what Tupenny and I did when he visited with his wife a few years ago.

It's also down the street from Skydome / Rogers Center and a few bars I like to visit for live music when in the area as well as trendy Queen St which is good for shopping for the wife.

Several warnings:

Expect traffic to be a nightmare in the area.

Expect lots of partying and street noise will be heard in your hotel room well into the AM.

Expect hallways full of drunk partygoers.

sheraton-centre-toronto.jpg

sheraton-centre-toronto%20a.jpg

Are the prices in Canadian but set to the FMV for the book in the states?

Most savvy dealers will adjust their Canadian prices to match the exchange.

Paradise Comics is the best stop for older silver/bronze comics, but Silver Snail is also worth a visit for more recent comics, as well as toys and merchandise.

While you are in town, if the weather is nice outdoors, I recommend a day at the world famous Toronto Zoo. With colder temperatures, the animals tend to be more active. Based on your interests, you may also wish to visit the CN Tower (revolving restaurant on top), Hockey Hall of Fame, Ripley's Aquarium, or get scalpers tickets for a Leafs Game and/or a Raptors Game.

If you have sophisticated dining tastes, please PM me with your favourite food genres and I can ask my foodie wife for recommendations.

I could have named you 3 easy ones years ago. It was like a Sat event with my friends and I to check out the comic shops on Queen.

Grey Region, Silver Snail and Dragon Lady were all you ever needed back then. I imagine SS is the only one left.

I would also like to know what good shops are left in Toronto. I can vouch for Big B although I know nothing of their Toronto location. When Big B and Paradise make the con circuit, I always check out their booth. Sadly a lot of dealers I usually see have stopped coming.

Online seems to be changing everything. Table and traveling expenses seem to be putting a damper on dealers at the conventions.

Hopefully there will be a positive change for comic book collectors in the New Year :wishluck:

I may finally make it up to Toronto and check it out. My wife and I want to get out of town for the four day New Years weekend and with the great exchange rate Canada is our destination. Please send me a PM if you live there and have a New Years Eve suggestion for out of towners.

Not the kind of books you'd be looking for.

Downtown:

Silver Snail

Million Comix

Paradise

Beguiling

Dr. Comics (soon to be defunct)

BMV (a book store worth checking out, 2 locations with comics)

Hairy Tarantula (mostly gaming and trades)

Labyrinth (mostly trades, art books)

Comic Pile (strangely never open whenever I've tried to visit, but still there)

East Toronto:

AK Comics (mostly new books, sports stuff)

West Toronto:

West End Comics (one of the newer stores, good prices)

Excalibur (very small)

Red Nails (mostly new books, I don't like these guys)

North Toronto:

Cyber City (my LCS for new books)

Dragons Realm (mostly toys but has some key books on his wall)

Heroes (tons of books but keys are jacked up)

Hairy Tarantula North (mostly gaming but has an inventory of Silvers)

Red Nails II (I still don't like these guys)

Kaos (some older books but not enough to justify the trip)

Planet X (toys, new books)

Heroes World (gaming, toys, trades, new books)

In all honesty, most of these stores are not worth the visit but if you happen to be in the area you can check them out. I've highlighted the stores worth the effort in red. Also, if you're looking for deals, the smaller stores in neighbouring towns will have better prices on older books, although their inventory will fluctuate.

Lots to do around town other than look at comics... shows, sports, dining... Have fun!

:sorry:

Jim

Jim

I don't consider you to be in Toronto. I am just going by what I have seen Andrew purchase. You likely have quite a few books of interest.

Any chance he is in town for the next TCBS?

Jim

I don't consider you to be in Toronto. I am just going by what I have seen Andrew purchase. You likely have quite a few books of interest.

From what he told me via PM he won't be...I even offered to open specifically and only for him.

Jim

Jim

From what he told me via PM he won't be...I even offered to open specifically and only for him.

Jim

It was a great offer and I may be able to take you up on it. Right now I'm hitting a snag because pretty much all the plays and entertainment on New Years Eve are all booked up and my wife doesn't want to drive up without a set plan. But I'm still working it out . . in between trying to fill 43 orders from my mega longbox thread. lol

While you are in town, if the weather is nice outdoors, I recommend a day at the world famous Toronto Zoo. With colder temperatures, the animals tend to be more active. Based on your interests, you may also wish to visit the CN Tower (revolving restaurant on top), Hockey Hall of Fame, Ripley's Aquarium, or get scalpers tickets for a Leafs Game and/or a Raptors Game.

All great recommendations. The Toronto Zoo is East of Toronto (about a half hour from the downtown core with no traffic) and really is a day trip to itself with the Zoo set up by continent. It's a world class set up if you can make it even if it is a bit old.

All of the other recommendations are pretty close to each other. You could actually walk between all of them. (thumbs u

The Royal Ontario Museum (affectionately known as ROM) at Bloor And Avenue road is also worth a visit if you like that sort of thing but it's a good hike or a short cab ride north from the downtown core.

And you have a small section called Yorkville just sort of kiddie corner across the street from it. That is sort of Toronto's mini version of Beverly Hill's Rodeo Drive. lol If you like snobby shopping and places to eat and are in the neighborhood anyway, it's worth a quick peek. It's just a loop that you can walk around in 15 mins if you're in a hurry or you can make an afternoon out of it if you take your time.

Here's a place you won't find easily. It's called "the Comic Trader'. It's location is 50 Clancy Drive. Leslie and Sheppard. It's a residential location. Yep. The guy runs the comic store out of the basement of his parents' house. He has pretty reasonable price on things. There are a ton of TPBs, lots of 1-2 dollar comics, some wall comics, lots of moderns. You won't find golden age there though. His big thing is ordering new comics and reserving them for people.

Here's a place you won't find easily. It's called "the Comic Trader'. It's location is 50 Clancy Drive. Leslie and Sheppard. It's a residential location. Yep. The guy runs the comic store out of the basement of his parents' house. He has pretty reasonable price on things. There are a ton of TPBs, lots of 1-2 dollar comics, some wall comics, lots of moderns. You won't find golden age there though. His big thing is ordering new comics and reserving them for people.

Sounds legit!! I'll keep it in mind but I'll probably keep that one for the next trip.

2c

Paradise Comics : Great place lots of TPB and CGC and guys over there are great to talk to. There doing renovations though.... but still a great place to stop by

Gotham Central : Lots of modern comics, statues, CGC and collectable toys

Location : Mississauga (0.5 hrs west of Toronto) (Dixie and 401)

2c

Is Silver Snail still around??? last I've heard they were closing down (shrug)