• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do YOU think is my best pick-up from 2015?

18 posts in this topic

With the year coming to a close, everyone is no doubt thinking about the "Best Of" on CAF extravaganza. But with limited amounts of votes, you can't really be sure what people think of your acquisitions for the year. So, I've arranged everything I got this year into one room on my gallery and am asking you to look through it and tell me what you think my best pick-up for this year was. Just use this link to see them all and then post here what you think is the best one (and a little of why you think so). Just a fun little thing to see what others think.

And if you have a similar set up on your gallery, feel free to post it here and I'll gladly do the same for you. Can't wait to see what people choose. Should be interesting and illuminating. :)

I have to go with the Gene Colan MCP. It's mostly empty space, but like you say in the description, the contrast between the content of the two words is brilliant. I was looking at a few pages from this run a few months ago. I kinda wish I had picked one of them up.

Here's mine.

I went with your Conan page. Buscema and Chan are just a great artistic pairing. And I really like the lushness of the inking in the shadows of the faces and in the hair in the last panel close-up.

With the year coming to a close, everyone is no doubt thinking about the "Best Of" on CAF extravaganza. But with limited amounts of votes, you can't really be sure what people think of your acquisitions for the year. So, I've arranged everything I got this year into one room on my gallery and am asking you to look through it and tall me what you think my best pick-up for this year was. Just use this link to see them all and then post here what you think is the best one (and a little of why you think so). Just a fun little thing to see what others think.

And if you have a similar set up on your gallery, feel free to post it here and I'll gladly do the same for you. Can't wait to see what people choose. Should be interesting and illuminating. :)

Gotta go with the Beast splash page as well.. Super awesome!

Here is mine

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=167429

I have to go with the Gene Colan MCP. It's mostly empty space, but like you say in the description, the contrast between the content of the two words is brilliant. I was looking at a few pages from this run a few months ago. I kinda wish I had picked one of them up.

Here's mine.

The Kung Fu 104 page with the Cerebus cameo is awesome.. Congrats on that page..

I recently got into art collecting this year so all my pieces were aquired this year after selling most my comics..

With the year coming to a close, everyone is no doubt thinking about the "Best Of" on CAF extravaganza. But with limited amounts of votes, you can't really be sure what people think of your acquisitions for the year. So, I've arranged everything I got this year into one room on my gallery and am asking you to look through it and tall me what you think my best pick-up for this year was. Just use this link to see them all and then post here what you think is the best one (and a little of why you think so). Just a fun little thing to see what others think.

Gotta go with the Beast splash page as well.. Super awesome!

Here is mine

Lots of good choice there, but I ultimately when with your Daredevil piece. Romita Jr. will always be THE Daredevil artist, IMO, and it is because of such dynamic imagery like this.

I always like seeing what you've picked up as I find it to not always be the obvious choice, and I think that makes it even more interesting. Things like the MCP page by Colan with it's negative space is a great example of that. That being said, my favorite there is one of the more recent pieces of art you picked up; that being the Spider Man : Fear Itself page by Ross Andru and Mike Esposito. The fact that it doesn't have Spider Man on the page doesn't matter as it's all Silver Sable. What draws me to it is that it, for me, exhibits exactly what a pane page should do; which is tell the story in a visual manner. I don't need to read the words on the page to follow along as Sable has been captured and is working on escaping from her binds. The panels tell me that and keep the story flowing in a smooth visual manner. It is a striking page of art that just grabs my attention immediately.

Here's what I picked up in 2015:

Comic Art 2015

I always like seeing what you've picked up as I find it to not always be the obvious choice, and I think that makes it even more interesting. Things like the MCP page by Colan with it's negative space is a great example of that. That being said, my favorite there is one of the more recent pieces of art you picked up; that being the Spider Man : Fear Itself page by Ross Andru and Mike Esposito. The fact that it doesn't have Spider Man on the page doesn't matter as it's all Silver Sable. What draws me to it is that it, for me, exhibits exactly what a pane page should do; which is tell the story in a visual manner. I don't need to read the words on the page to follow along as Sable has been captured and is working on escaping from her binds. The panels tell me that and keep the story flowing in a smooth visual manner. It is a striking page of art that just grabs my attention immediately.

Comic Art 2015

Had quite a few pieces to choose from here, each with a very uniqueness all their own. But I went with this Silver Surfer page. Ron Lim is the standard for any artist that has drawn the character since he did. On top of that, it's got all that great cosmic stuff you expect, such as great sweeping spacescape shots and supremely powerful entities, plus you have to love when the Surfer rings out his call: "To me, my board!"

Comic Art 2015

Had quite a few pieces to choose from here, each with a very uniqueness all their own. But I went with this Silver Surfer page. Ron Lim is the standard for any artist that has drawn the character since he did. On top of that, it's got all that great cosmic stuff you expect, such as great sweeping spacescape shots and supremely powerful entities, plus you have to love when the Surfer rings out his call: "To me, my board!"

I'm gonna have to go with that one or the other Lim's & this Valentino GotG page with Galactus/SS, almost bought that one myself!

nice Lim finds, I love his stuff.

James...let's say you and I have rather differing collecting interests. So I was surprised to find a piece that I definitely dig from your collection. All the better that it was gifted to you with good cause.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1239590

Lori Lovecraft is one of my guilty pleasures and likewise Hitchcock. My definition of modern definitely pre-dates 1995; I got a chuckle out of that ;)

I'm voting for the Supergirl piece. I like the humor and color. :)

I assume everyone knows that all your 2015 pieces are in a pseudo-gallery. Here's mine.

Merry Christmas!

I had to go with this cover of yours. The eerie and somewhat haunting vibe of it just immediately grabbed my attention.

If you aren't reading The Stuff of Legend, you are missing the good stuff. You can get the first issue for free digitally on Comixology, but remember the first hit is always free. :)

I'm voting for the Supergirl piece. I like the humor and color. :)

I assume everyone knows that all your 2015 pieces are in a pseudo-gallery. Here's mine.

Merry Christmas!

I had to go with this cover of yours. The eerie and somewhat haunting vibe of it just immediately grabbed my attention.

If you aren't reading The Stuff of Legend, you are missing the good stuff. You can get the first issue for free digitally on Comixology, but remember the first hit is always free. :)

I'll second Stuff of Legend; great story and the art is amazing

My two SOL pieces (purchased previous to 2015)

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetailsearch.asp?artist=Charles+Paul+Wilson+III&GCat=76410

edit: sorry for hijacking thread, but Charles P Wilson III doesn't get enough praise, imo.

And, great cover Alex :)

edit: sorry for hijacking thread, but Charles P Wilson III doesn't get enough praise, imo.And, great cover Alex :)

I agree 100% on CPW3. He doesn't get much acclaim, but his work is outstanding. Thanks for the kind words on the cover, too.