• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLINK's new website

36 posts in this topic

I have no problem with Clink not participating in GPA. I don't think it would benefit them at all.

It's basically only E-Bay and HA reporting anyway (ComicConnect as well). Most dealers don't report. On the better books, sellers only use E-Bay to 'pimp' their books with a high BIN and work out a sale offline. Obviously, these don't get reported. Clink's long retention of sales data can work as a poor man's GPA.

I agree. And if I were in ComicLink's position I would have a hard time deciding which way I would go. On the one hand the hobby is clamoring for and would benefit from all of that information. On the other hand ComicLink is in a business that is very much dependent on that information for a competitive edge. They have spent a lot of time accumulating the data and it has a value. Should they just give it away? That would be a tough call for me.

I have no problem with Clink not participating in GPA. I don't think it would benefit them at all.

It's basically only E-Bay and HA reporting anyway (ComicConnect as well). Most dealers don't report. On the better books, sellers only use E-Bay to 'pimp' their books with a high BIN and work out a sale offline. Obviously, these don't get reported. Clink's long retention of sales data can work as a poor man's GPA.

I agree. And if I were in ComicLink's position I would have a hard time deciding which way I would go. On the one hand the hobby is clamoring for and would benefit from all of that information. On the other hand ComicLink is in a business that is very much dependent on that information for a competitive edge. They have spent a lot of time accumulating the data and it has a value. Should they just give it away? That would be a tough call for me.

Not sure I follow what their competitive advantage is keeping the information private. (I assume this is a different point than the "We'll attract more dealers as bidders if we keep the prices they paid private" point.) Should info on sales prices matter to CLink in their role as a comic selling exchange and auction site?

I'm missing something here. hm

Looked like there were more BC scans up for some of the bigger books in the next featured auction.

Anyway, I think the site is a great improvement. For anyone who wants to track a book you can always stick in a low ball bid on day one right?

Yep. That's what I always do. Also provides a supplement to GPA because the hammer prices remain in your bid list even after the original listings have been removed.

So, you're saying it's available for personal reference, but can collectors and dealers submit the purchase data to GPA themselves? I think GPA requires some kind of verifiable sales data to incorporate it.

My point is that by withholding direct information CLink fails to provide substantive data that can be used as benchmark criteria of market movement.

For dealers, GPA data helps verify market trends and can be utilized as a reference to justify pricing, but CLink's resistance to providing data makes their auction seem like a clearing house for undervalued books. That only works as long as CLink buyers compete strongly enough to drive the final hammer price to a marginal profit over the seller's premium. But if the auction is primarily a draw for bargain hunters or dealers looking for undervalued books that can be easily flipped at upcoming cons & through other better promoted auctions, then a slow bleed will occur.

Apologies if my critical speculations seem unfair, but there has been a lot of disappointment expressed with recent results on these boards. Based on what I'm seeing, it wouldn't surprise me if fewer HG tentpole books are submitted to future CLink auctions by established dealers.

My 2c

It's basically only E-Bay and HA reporting anyway. Most dealers don't report. On the better books, sellers only use E-Bay to 'pimp' their books with a high BIN and work out a sale offline. Obviously, these don't get reported. Clink's long retention of sales data can work as a poor man's GPA.

I believe ComicConnect also reports data to GPA. If I'm not mistaken, of the Big 3 comic auction houses CLink is the only hold out.

I'm not concerned with whether it benefits CLink or not, but since dealers use GPA auction data as a selling tool, incomplete data should raise a flag for collectors. It is less important whether private sales are recorded (I'd actually prefer it if private sales were noted with an asterisk or color coded for disclosure's sake), but auction sales data is important to gauge recent activity. IMO, missing data doesn't help buyer or seller in the long run.

Not sure I follow what their competitive advantage is keeping the information private. (I assume this is a different point than the "We'll attract more dealers as bidders if we keep the prices they paid private" point.) Should info on sales prices matter to CLink in their role as a comic selling exchange and auction site?

I'm missing something here. hm

There are many ways ComicLink can use that information. For example -

1) They pay advance money based on their expectations of final sales price. If an item has sold recently through their site for a percentage under or over GPA they will have that information to base their advance on. Another site might not have that and their advance could be significantly out of whack.

2) All of the sites purchase books for resale. Check out any show and you will see the folks from Heritage, Comic Connect and ComicLink scouring the room trying to beat Harley to fresh new material. ComicLink has the advantage of their own auction results on which to base their purchase offers.

3) If ComicLink's auction and sales results would have such a dramatic effect on GPA that would mean that ComicLink's results are significantly different than the existing data. Only ComicLink knows where they actually have results higher than the market and/or lower than the market. And only they can use that information to arrange the lots in a way to maximize the results. Whether or not they do this I don't know. But they certainly could then tell a consignor that a specific lot probably would or would not do well in a specific auction. Or they could use that information for their own purposes in buying or bidding on lots in other's auctions.

Check out any show and you will see the folks from Heritage, Comic Connect and ComicLink scouring the room trying to beat Harley to fresh new material

Harley's like a ninja when it comes to finding the best stuff lol

Check out any show and you will see the folks from Heritage, Comic Connect and ComicLink scouring the room trying to beat Harley to fresh new material.

I was with you until this part, then I realized you were just being silly. :D

1) They pay advance money based on their expectations of final sales price. If an item has sold recently through their site for a percentage under or over GPA they will have that information to base their advance on. Another site might not have that and their advance could be significantly out of whack.

I've never asked for advance money. Just waited for the dough to arrive in the sweet bye and bye. I suppose, though, that it can be a big deal for people who are constantly buying and listing for auction and need the working capital. I hadn't realized that the sites compete on advances.

I hadn't realized that the sites compete on advances.

For mental exercise I worked up a business plan to start up a new auction site from scratch, no inventory, no connections. A large percentage of the required starting capital was specifically money available for cash advances. If a continuous cycle of monthly auctions is needed for break even, and overhead requires that each auction results in $1,000,000 to $2,000,000 in sales ($100,000 - $200,000 in commissions), then approximately $3+ million in cash would need to be available simply to be competitive with the existing auction houses and secure lots based on three to four month cycle from consignment through auction to payment. And that would be guessing on the low side.

Since dealers use GPA auction data as a selling tool, incomplete data should raise a flag for collectors.

Dealers also need to BUY. I think Bob Storms or some other dealer pointed out the fact that if he reported his sales to GPA, he would then have to compete against his own sale to buy. I see Clink at conventions trying to either buy or get choice consignments. Reporting their sales to GPA would work against them.

Since dealers use GPA auction data as a selling tool, incomplete data should raise a flag for collectors.

Dealers also need to BUY. I think Bob Storms or some other dealer pointed out the fact that if he reported his sales to GPA, he would then have to compete against his own sale to buy. I see Clink at conventions trying to either buy or get choice consignments. Reporting their sales to GPA would work against them.

True, but as I said before, in the long run that approach is a loser. If dealers see Clink primarily as a discount warehouse for off the record inventory pick-ups, that will eventually be reflected in the quality of material ...or rather, the lack thereof... that's consigned to their auctions.

Dealers acquire inventory from a lot of places besides auction houses, so occasionally competing with one's own sales seems like much adieu ado about nothing. Most dealers can make good arguments either way when buying or selling to customers. The GPA just adds a little more stability to the marketplace, especially when more sales are recorded over time.