• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Etiquette in garage sales, estate sales, thrift shops, etc.

23 posts in this topic

I just finished reading the garage sale finds thread (one of my favorites) and am now inspired to seek out treasure myself....

What is the proper etiquette (if any) on garage sales? Do you roll up and say do you have any comics? If they say no do you just leave? Are there follow up questions? How about in thrift shops and estate sales?

Any advise or tips is appreciated

Any good salesperson will be happy to sell you comics if that's what you're looking for, or offer related products you might like if they don't.

The best advice I can give is be polite and gracious around someone's stuff. They don't want a tough guy making trouble for them when they're just trying to make a buck.

The other thing is, especially at garage/yard/tag sales and their ilk - remember : while the people selling the stuff for the most part are just a) trying to get rid of some junk they don't need and b) get YOU to pay them for the privilege of hauling it away for them...it was, at one time, in their home. So if you spend a lot of time laughing at how dated and ugly the stuff for sale is? While the seller may not disagree, you're certainly earning credits you can later spend during negotiations.

Short version? Be respectful of people's sh*t! :)

What about the etiquette about a big find. I know this does not seem to happen much, but if you go through a box of comics and you know they have several hundred or even several thousand worth of stuff and they are telling you $50 for the whole thing. Do you say anything? Or is their lack of knowledge your gain, smile and go home really happy?

Yea, if you know by yourself its actual value and the seller have gave you the number they want for the lot. Take that up with no agurement or try your luck with your best offer, then go home with the loot. (thumbs u

As long the seller is happy and you are happy. A win-win!

What about the etiquette about a big find. I know this does not seem to happen much, but if you go through a box of comics and you know they have several hundred or even several thousand worth of stuff and they are telling you $50 for the whole thing. Do you say anything? Or is their lack of knowledge your gain, smile and go home really happy?

Some people smile and go happily away - others feel like they are taking advantage and want to give more.

If you get into this situation - (and these rare) - how you handle it is really up to you. - there are MANY heated discussions on the board about this.

If you are inclined to give more - the best way to handle this would be to close the deal and get the books in your poession - then go back and give them more. This way - the deal gets closed. Worse case if you just offer more - is that you may kill the deal entirely if the seller all of a sudden is convinced they are worth way more than they thought.

One thing I can add, is when someone has an item in their hands, be it a postcard or a box full of golden age comics, it should be considered their property until they either buy it or put it down. Once they take their hands off, however, it's fair game. The very first estate sale that I ever went to, in the last room, I finally found a stack of atom age and silver age comics. The problem was, a lady had the whole stack in one hand while she was looking them up on her phone. I hung around in case she set them down and walked away but she didn't. She bought the whole stack, however, I told her that I was a comic collector, and would she mind if I just looked through the stack so I didn't have to always wonder what I missed out on. She was very nice and said go ahead. There were about 22 comics there, and the best of the bunch was a tattered Archie 76 in about fair condition. The rest were funny animal and maybe a couple of westerns ranging from cover less to good condition. The comics were $2.00 each, and except for the Archie, which might have been worth about $5.00, the rest belonged in a quarter box. At least I knew there wasn't a Batman 1 in the stack,.

Recently, I encountered a small batch of mid grade SA DC. A few Action, Adventure, Worlds Finest, Superman and that ilk. Guy was asking a dollar a book. I counted and there were 52. I offered him $20.He countered with $26. I offered $25 and he accepted.I asked ifhe had more and he said that he had had more but some one had bought all his batman and league of Americans books a bit earlier.

Not a home run, but a solid double.

He also had the 1960s Lord of The Rings paperbacks for a buck each. I paid full asking price.

I'd take it up to the front and pay them their asking and leave. They set the price and I'm happy to pay it. Offering more or telling them the books are very valuable would likely kill any deal as they'd want to do research and maximize their profit.

Low ball the hell outta them! (thumbs u

Your strategy in PIF, your strategy in life. meh

Why make this comment? (shrug)

Because it's true? (shrug)

But you do not know that, you don't know anything about me…

Besides, this is someone else's thread…why bring up PIF drama here?

Low ball the hell outta them! (thumbs u

Your strategy in PIF, your strategy in life. meh

Why make this comment? (shrug)

Because it's true? (shrug)

But you do not know that, you don't know anything about me…

Besides, this is someone else's thread…why bring up PIF drama here?

The OP asked what etiquette is for garage sales, thrift stores, etc was.

Your enlightened and in depth response was 'low ball the hell outta them'.

All I can know about you is what you post on the boards. And when you make comments like that, it's hard not to see the parallels to your actions in PIF.

Sorry for making a seemingly off topic response. I know how rare and upsetting that is in comics general.

(thumbs u

It's one thing to be cheap then another thing to get a good deal. If the price they are asking for is too much it never hurts to make an offer or see if they could make some sort of a deal for bulk. Don't expect to find anything special and never expect to do this in the hopes of making some $$$ or else you will be disappointed.

Be considerate about everything, after all this is still their stuff that they owned and wanted for some reason or another.

It's one thing to be cheap then another thing to get a good deal. If the price they are asking for is too much it never hurts to make an offer or see if they could make some sort of a deal for bulk. Don't expect to find anything special and never expect to do this in the hopes of making some $$$ or else you will be disappointed.

Be considerate about everything, after all this is still their stuff that they owned and wanted for some reason or another.

I really enjoy watching this guy's channel: Craigslist Hunter

The quality of the videos is high and info solid. Some vids are garage sale walk-throughs, negotiations, discussing finds, tips, etc. To me it's way more interesting than Pawn Stars to watch someone out in the field in real time. Good stuff.

And he echos what you're saying. Common courtesy, listening and genuine interest probably work wonders.

The OP asked what etiquette is for garage sales, thrift stores, etc was.

Your enlightened and in depth response was 'low ball the hell outta them'.

Sorry for making a seemingly off topic response. I know how rare and upsetting that is in comics general.

Applying a broader stroke here, I understand what you are saying about idle comments becoming a reflection of character. A silly reference involving ethics will be remembered when the same Boardie posts a Sales Thread. You can make this work in your favor or work against you but I agree that comments will be 'interpreted'.

Here's a good one where he actually interviews the sellers about how they price items and so forth, plus the 'finds' and what was paid.