• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calling All Wannabe Comic Book Editors!

74 posts in this topic

actually pink is a derivative of magenta

lol

You don't have pink, purple or magenta without red. Meanwhile, green? :whistle:

You do have magenta at the opposite end of the spectrum from red

spectrum.jpg

If you're talking paint red paint plus white paint does not equal pink. It equals salmon. Magenta paint plus white paint equals pink.

Because magenta is a primary color, it cannot be made by mixing other colors. Mixing magenta and yellow in various proportions makes a whole range of reds and oranges. Mixing magenta and cyan in different proportions makes a whole range of blues and purples.

If you can mix red, it is not a primary color for pigment. There are also colors that you can not mix using red. Let's start with magenta itself. You can not mix the yellow out of red to create magenta.

to me the question is what best works with the main characters purple costume.

And to me the answer is the Green background.

the orange pops more as a color, but the main character bleeds into the cover. And the point is SHE needs to stand out.

Because magenta is a primary color, it cannot be made by mixing other colors.

I've always have a hard time differentiating between pink/purple/violet in the spectrum.

I always thought Magenta was more a red than anything based on how the stamp 'Black on Magenta' looked.

Just read up on it and it's apparently the same as fuchsia. I didn't know that.

Regardless, the green one still pops better. ;)

I'll just qualify what I understood as 'pop'

The orange is a warmer colour but the green contrasts the heroes with greater contrast, causing them to 'pop' out of the page more than just blend into the background.

I'll just qualify what I understood as 'pop'

The orange is a warmer colour but the green contrasts the heroes with greater contrast, causing them to 'pop' out of the page more than just blend into the background.

For me the whole page just stands out brighter.

Considering a book will be on a shelf often with other books in front of it is important I think for entire book to stand out

One of the best books on color theory I ever read-Color Harmony-stated that colors should be picked for a reason-they all have different emotional effects and you pick them based on what you are trying to accomplish. You wouldn't select yellow and black, for instance, for a tube of toothpaste. No that color combo is good for poisons. Restaurants are best with earth tones. Science is depicted with cool colors like blue and violet. It also said mixing warm and cool colors is not a great idea-pick a warm or cool palette then go with that. Too much color loses dramatic effect. Just look at how dramatic ASM 50 is using one basic color and some shades.

So decide what you are trying to accomplish and go with that color.

It also said about the color orange 'liked by all, preferred by none'.

If the comic will be sold digitally or on a hand-held device, you might consider how it will look when it's reduced to the size of basically a postage stamp. Then see what pops, how the title reads, etc. I'm an author with Random House, we have these convos all the time and it always goes back to context/format.

Is it designed to pop off the shelf or be seen on a tiny screen?

Good luck!

One of the best books on color theory I ever read-Color Harmony-stated that colors should be picked for a reason-they all have different emotional effects and you pick them based on what you are trying to accomplish. You wouldn't select yellow and black, for instance, for a tube of toothpaste. No that color combo is good for poisons. Restaurants are best with earth tones. Science is depicted with cool colors like blue and violet. It also said mixing warm and cool colors is not a great idea-pick a warm or cool palette then go with that. Too much color loses dramatic effect. Just look at how dramatic ASM 50 is using one basic color and some shades.

So decide what you are trying to accomplish and go with that color.

It also said about the color orange 'liked by all, preferred by none'.

I've been aware of color theory since I saw a show on it when I was a teenager.

ASM #50 works because it's a very simple cover with not much going on...but it's not all red. Pete's contrasting blue and yellow outfit (contrasting primary colors) finish out the cover. ;)