• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vol 1 X-Men #36 - so good! Mekano lives!

15 posts in this topic

Over the holidays I've been making my way back through my X-Men run. Lots of fun to re-read these sequentially. Currently up to issue 37... Just finished 36. What a fun read- I had forgotten how good that issue was :)

Making the slow crawl from #1 all the way up to #143. Good times!

Over the holidays I've been making my way back through my X-Men run. Lots of fun to re-read these sequentially. Currently up to issue 37... Just finished 36. What a fun read- I had forgotten how good that issue was :)

Making the slow crawl from #1 all the way up to #143. Good times!

And one of the first times (the first time?) Ross Andu pencilled for Marvel. The next story I recall seeing Ross on was the Spidey one-shot story in Marvel Super-Heroes.

I remember thinking, "Wow, Marvel got another DC guy to work for them !"

Onward! I love how Silver age books take so much longer to read...

Modern books read like someone's poorly written text conversation- will make it through most modern books in about 5 minutes.

Silver Agers are like enjoying a good cigar... sit back, and enjoy. No rush...

I've journeyed from X-Men 1 to X-Men 50 (gorgeous Steranko work!) as of writing this. Has been great going through and re-reading this series front to back. I'm most of the way through the Silver Age of the X-Men...

I had a slight foray from X-Men 45 to Avengers 53 for the X-Men vs. Avengers story continuation. Second appearance of The Black Panther, I think? Was a great read, seeing Giant Man vs. Black Panther, and Hawkeye. Dissention amongst the ranks...

Saw this at the end of X-Men #43:

92HQWye.jpg

Oh man.. if only :)

Side note- while reading my #41, noticed 2 pages were off the staples! The book is in great shape too... Shame. I don't remember the book having that defect... Anyhow, ordered a replacement from Bob at High Grade Comics. Thanks Bob!

I love rereading my silver age runs.

Pull out a longbox, start at the beginning, and enjoy.

The covers, the art, the stories, the house ads, the Bullpen Bulletins and letter columns.

Great stuff, and like you said, hours and hours of reading pleasure.

It's why I've been a collector and fan now for over 50 years.

The original X-Men run is one of my favorites.

Side note- while reading my #41, noticed 2 pages were off the staples! The book is in great shape too... Shame. I don't remember the book having that defect... Anyhow, ordered a replacement from Bob at High Grade Comics. Thanks Bob!

X-Men #41 was a tougher book for me to find because I noticed the centerfold on a lot of copies was starting to pull away from one (or sometimes both) of the staples...I wonder if there was something up with the paper stock on this particular issue?

Unca Ben - One of my favorite series to read as well!

silverseeker - Perhaps! It really is a decent looking copy... I was surprised the center-most pages just flopped out. Everything else is securely attached to the staples.

And the reading continues! Through issue #60 now...

The series drastically changed going from issue #55 to issue #56 (pictured below).

Neal Adams' first work for the X-Men books, and his influence was profound!

From the very first pages, all characters suddenly feel much more mature, and imposing in stature; namely Beast, and Jean Grey. The tone of the book was much more dramatic, accentuated by Neal's creative camera placement and paneling.

I've never thought much about when the end of the X-Men silver age was, but the difference between this issue and the 55 previous ones is so jarring I feel inclined to say this is the line separating the two ages for me.

Granted, I realize this is probably technically considered a Silver Age book... this dramatic change seems like more of a determining factor rather than an arbitrary date.

What do you all think? When does the Silver Age of the X-Men end?

D0Jlg65.jpg