• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Framing question

19 posts in this topic

Figured you guys would be a good source of information here. I bought my wife a few posters/prints for Christmas. I really gave no thought to the size. She always does a really good job framing herself and relatively cheaply.

Except this time. The print 27 by 39. Apparently none of the places she usually gets frames (not custom) don't carry this size. Custom is looking like north of $150. Any suggestions? For reference she got a nice frame from AC Moore for $22 after some coupons. And just to show off here is the one she framed. Its a pretty basic solid wood frame.

IMG_1144.jpg

I collect these alt movie posters. They can be a bear to frame. Many are the standard 24x36, but for anything off size, you'll need to go custom. And that gets expensive.

Keep in mind that many of these prints are collectible (the one you posted is worth about $140) but condition is key. Watch those edges and corners. Frame and mount it right. Don't skimp.

If you DIY, you can save some money. I've used americanframe.com a few times.

I collect these alt movie posters.

Nice to see this subject pop up here. I was into these for a little while. My experience was there are way too many coming out every week. You really can't collect them like comics and art, too big - whether you frame them all up (yeah, right!) or stack them somewhere. It all just ends up being a huge mess and maintaining condition becomes a serious problem. Lose that and there goes your market value.

I'm not really going to be"collecting" them. My wife is a huge fan of that movie so that's why I got it. I had never given any thought to them before to be honest. But I will probably look to get a few more based solely on movies I like. Of course it never hurts if they are worth money down the line, but that won't be part of my thought process. Honestly it seems like an easy thing for me to get the wife when I can't think of anything else.

Got my eye on this:

zz1bdc0179.jpg

AC Moore custom framing, by the way, is excellent... and they're always running 60% off sales (or there's always a coupon floating around for near that) so it makes it somewhat affordable. I know framing piece after piece ads up, but when you're talking about valuable pieces it might be worth looking into.

AC Moore custom framing, by the way, is excellent... and they're always running 60% off sales (or there's always a coupon floating around for near that) so it makes it somewhat affordable. I know framing piece after piece ads up, but when you're talking about valuable pieces it might be worth looking into.

AC Moore wanted $165 after some coupons and discounts today for a custom frmame. I agree on valuable pieces, but this one cost me about $30. Rose McGowan signed planet terror poster.

I visited my local framing warehouse where I have had a few items framed in the past. Since I was planning to have multiple pieces of art done, I asked them their best price for a specific frame with everything being done with archival materials. The final cost will be $75 each which is very reasonable. So your best bet is doing it when you have a few pieces to be framed.

I collect these alt movie posters.

Nice to see this subject pop up here. I was into these for a little while. My experience was there are way too many coming out every week. You really can't collect them like comics and art, too big - whether you frame them all up (yeah, right!) or stack them somewhere. It all just ends up being a huge mess and maintaining condition becomes a serious problem. Lose that and there goes your market value.

I tried avoiding it for the longest time. Now I have several flat files.

But I still refuse to pay the crazy after-market prices on some of these.

Wait for 40/50% coupon and go to Micheal's,get the frame section you put together. You should be able to find them in wood and metal. then pick up some glass of your choice. Should be cheaper than full custom frame.

Gotta say, I wouldn't trust the Michael's lady with anything I really cared about. Even specific instructions can be lost or ignored.

Find a framing person you trust. I did, and it was worth it - great price and value:

3404BA2D-2C32-42BE-BCFB-3F4F4327E38D_zpsh2h8jyyf.jpg

Wait for 40/50% coupon and go to Micheal's,get the frame section you put together. You should be able to find them in wood and metal. then pick up some glass of your choice. Should be cheaper than full custom frame.

Gotta say, I wouldn't trust the Michael's lady with anything I really cared about. Even specific instructions can be lost or ignored.

Find a framing person you trust. I did, and it was worth it - great price and value:

3404BA2D-2C32-42BE-BCFB-3F4F4327E38D_zpsh2h8jyyf.jpg

The frames I am talking about you put together at home. Never said anything about having Micheals frame it. I always have recommended a custom framer . I have owned frame shops for years but also know that some people will not spend reasonable money for framing.

http://www.amazon.com/Nielsen-Bainbridge-Wood-Frame-black/dp/B000KNPPV6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1451924647&sr=8-4&keywords=sectional+wood+frame

Typical frame shop discussion. Customer spent $10k on trip $1k on a pice of art from trip. Framing will be $275. Customer oh my I thought it would be like $20, I cannot spend that much I already spent so much on my trip can't you framing it for less.

I have had that conversation of some form or another too many time to count.

The frames I am talking about you put together at home. Never said anything about having Micheals frame it. I always have recommended a custom framer . I have owned frame shops for years but also know that some people will not spend reasonable money for framing.

http://www.amazon.com/Nielsen-Bainbridge-Wood-Frame-black/dp/B000KNPPV6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1451924647&sr=8-4&keywords=sectional+wood+frame

Typical frame shop discussion. Customer spent $10k on trip $1k on a pice of art from trip. Framing will be $275. Customer oh my I thought it would be like $20, I cannot spend that much I already spent so much on my trip can't you framing it for less.

I have had that conversation of some form or another too many time to count.

Totally following you - read too fast - carry on.