• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book ads in Christmas catalogues

10 posts in this topic

Interesting set C for the 1992 wishbook. If I'm reading it correctly, they reprinted 15,000 of the 20 comics shown. Is that correct? Clearly the AF 15 is a reprint, but were the other moderns reprinted as well? I don't think I've ever come across a second printing of the few comics that I can make out in the scan.

What's really interesting is, in my experience, the books from the JCP ad do not show up with equal frequency. Some of the SA X-men reprints are seen far and away more often, while others I've absolutely never come across.

Great ads--thanks for posting them.

I bought one of the JCP vintage packs in 1994, opened to read. The reprints are actually very good quality, and an interesting selection of comics.

They were distributed to comic shops in the UK, and at the time I had no idea about their origin.

I bought one of the JCP vintage packs in 1994, opened to read. The reprints are actually very good quality, and an interesting selection of comics.

They were distributed to comic shops in the UK, and at the time I had no idea about their origin.

Do you remember what the packaging looked like?

I received those Marvel books and supplies for Christmas many years ago. The X-Men and Superhero sets came unbagged and unboarded in a cardboard box, same with the Vintage Pack, I believe.

I still have that Wolverine binder.

They were some of the first comics I read. Seeing those ads really take me back.

Do you remember what the packaging looked like?

The set I got was just in a plastic bag or plastic wrap, to the best of my recollection. No box, as with some of the others shown.

The full list is...

Amazing Fantasy #13

Amazing Spider-Man Special #5

Avengers #88

Captain America #109

Fantastic Four #66 and #67

Incredible Hulk #140

Sgt. Fury #13

Sub-Mariner #8

Thor Special #2

Tomb of Dracula #25

Uncanny X-Men #28, #62 and #63