• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any character you wish never existed?

90 posts in this topic

I really hate Robin. As much as I love Batman, Robin really wrecks it for me. His first appearance marked the beginning of the end of the cool covers and Batman's true nature wasn't recaptured until Neal Adams came on board. I was looking through the Photojournal and the Batman and Detective covers from the 50s and 60s really make my insides sad. Just look at what the gay wonder did to my beloved Bats! (I know the lame covers aren't just Robin's fault, but I hate the character anyways).

From this..... headbang.gif

tec31.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com

To this..... frustrated.gif

tec241.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Who do you wish was left on the cutting room floor?

Good point, OF. Kid side-kicks pretty much sucked, but I guess the marketing powers that be in the GA figured that having a character close to their readers' age, so they could have someone to identify with, would somehow make the comics more attractive.

So throw in Bucky, and Toro, and... ye cats, the list goes on and on!

Paste-pot Pete -- the lamest villain I can think of. I surprised they didn't use him to market the paste I had to bring with me when I started elementary school.

I actually have a soft spot for the late 50s, early 60s goofball Batman books with his bizarre alternate costumes, freak metamorpheses and wacky aliens, and in that context I have no problem with Robin, but I agree, Batman can never really be the pulpy avenger of the night when he's got some kid in a bright red, green and yellow suit trailing him around. While other characters may have the occaisonal lame villian, they never really drag down the hero for more than an issue or two, but Robin plagued Batman for the better part of 50 years or more.

Honorable mention has to go to Percival Popp, who showed up as the Spectre's sidekick shortly after he stopped being the cover feature in More Fun - why the hell anyone thought that the Spectre needed "comic" relief is beyond me.

Fasaud - Easily the lamest Fantastic Four villain EVER. I'm worse off for reading this comic and it's continuation next issue...

This Max Headroom wannabe's two issues damn near made me drop the title...

ff308.jpg

Jim