• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Apple Comic Con - March 5, NYC

108 posts in this topic

There is going to be a special free CGC grading event the evening before the show! Here are the details:

From 6:30 – 8:00 PM on Friday, March 4 at the Penn Plaza Pavilion, 401 7th Ave at 33rd St in Manhattan, the Big Apple Comic Convention, will host a special comics grading event the night before its big show! CGC's experts will accept submissions of ONE MODERN COMC per person for FREE!

You can also submit additional comics from all eras at their standard rates at this event.

There will also be special FREE DONUTS AND COFEE for those submitting their comics.

BIG APPLE CON PRESENTS

FREE CGC COMIC GRADING EVENT

Friday, March 4, 6:30 – 8:00 PM

Penn Plaza Pavilion, 401 7th ave at 33rd St, NYC

Hosted by the Big Apple Comic Con http://www.nycbm.com

https://www.facebook.com/events/562371117261954/

This is a no brainer.

There is going to be a special free CGC grading event the evening before the show! Here are the details:

From 6:30 – 8:00 PM on Friday, March 4 at the Penn Plaza Pavilion, 401 7th Ave at 33rd St in Manhattan, the Big Apple Comic Convention, will host a special comics grading event the night before its big show! CGC's experts will accept submissions of ONE MODERN COMC per person for FREE!

You can also submit additional comics from all eras at their standard rates at this event.

There will also be special FREE DONUTS AND COFEE for those submitting their comics.

BIG APPLE CON PRESENTS

This is a no brainer.

I might just hit this and skip the show!

6:30 is tough from central Jersey though and I am concerned about getting shut out if I get there much later.

BIG APPLE CON PRESENTS

This is a no brainer.

I might just hit this and skip the show!

6:30 is tough from central Jersey though and I am concerned about getting shut out if I get there much later.

I am thinking the same. I may stay late at work and get some things done. Then I will drop off some books and might skip the show. I don't have a ticket yet. The thought of going back into the city on a non work day is kind of repulsing after this week of constant LIRR delays, cancellations, and the nonsense that goes on with all of it.

I went last year and didn't really buy anything I 'needed'. I bought some stuff to resell down the line and some stuff that I picked up because it was 'there'.

Here is the description of the one of the featured panel at the Big Apple Con ext Saturday in NYC:

Of Surfers, Panthers, Singing Superheroes and Not-so-Dark Knights: 1966 in Comics: the year of Galactus and Batman! With Peter Sanderson and Danny Fingeroth [A Will Eisner Week event]

The year 1966 (fifty years ago) was a landmark in the history of comics and pop culture. While Marvel reached one of many creative peaks with the introductions of characters including Galactus, the Silver Surfer, and the Black Panther, DC's Batman TV series debuted, as did the Superman Broadway musical. Will Eisner's The Spirit made a comeback. And those are just the tip of the iceberg of this momentous year. Join comics historians Peter Sanderson and Danny Fingeroth as they present a slideshow tour though this amazing year. [This panel is part of Will Eisner Week,a worldwide series of events celebrating comics and graphic novels and the legacy of comics visionary Eisner: www.willeisner.com]

http://www.nycbm.com

Big Apple Con Welcomes Ramona Fradon!

Ramona is an American comic book and comic strip artist, known for her work illustrating Aquaman and Brenda Starr, and co-creating the superhero Metamorpho.She also with writer Robert Bernstein co-created the sidekick Aqualad in Adventure Comics.

Fradon was inducted into the Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Fame in 2006

So, from 6:30PM to 8 PM, the night before the show, CGC will be in NY and accepting submissions.

This has been advertised on Facebook and CGC has created a Facebook Event Page for this.

Chances are that CGC will be overwhelmed with a large crowd of 18-25 year olds, standing in line, trying to sub 9.2-ish copies of 1990's run Deadpool or Harley Quinn books.

If anyone who isn't capable of getting to this "Event" about 1-2 hours before the doors open at 6;30PM, likely will get shut out from being able to submit ANY BOOKS during that 90 minute window.

Munching on rifled through donuts and chugging black coffee hardly sounds like an enjoyable way to spend a Friday night.

Are coffee & donuts, paired with an $18 complimentary modern economy submission, really that big of a deal?

So, from 6:30PM to 8 PM, the night before the show, CGC will be in NY and accepting submissions.

This has been advertised on Facebook and CGC has created a Facebook Event Page for this.

Chances are that CGC will be overwhelmed with a large crowd of 18-25 year olds, standing in line, trying to sub 9.2-ish copies of 1990's run Deadpool or Harley Quinn books.

If anyone who isn't capable of getting to this "Event" about 1-2 hours before the doors open at 6;30PM, likely will get shut out from being able to submit ANY BOOKS during that 90 minute window.

Munching on rifled through donuts and chugging black coffee hardly sounds like an enjoyable way to spend a Friday night.

Are coffee & donuts, paired with an $18 complimentary modern economy submission, really that big of a deal?

It's good for the uninitiated. Just think of it that way. The only reason I got into CGCing is because my co-worker introduced me to my new addiction.

I think it's a great way to introduce people to a service they may be unsure about. Nothing wrong with that.

It's good for the uninitiated. Just think of it that way. The only reason I got into CGCing is because my co-worker introduced me to my new addiction.

I think it's a great way to introduce people to a service they may be unsure about. Nothing wrong with that.

Sure, I understand that and on that basis, it is an excellent idea.

I just think it may lessen show attendance but in reality, I don't think it will really have a big impact on the show itself.

The Big Apple Con welcomes Jim Steranko!!

As an author, illustrator, musician, art director, magician, designer, escape artist, filmmaker, pop-culture lecturer, and publisher, Steranko has cut a ferocious path through the entertainment arts. The more than 150 innovations he created as artist-writer on Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D., CAPTAIN AMERICA, and X-MEN revolutionized the comics form and, as an illustrator, he painted a multitude of book covers, including 30 SHADOW paperbacks.

The Eisner Award Hall of Fame winner has shown his work at more than 300 exhibitions worldwide, including the Louvre in Paris and the Smithsonian Institution in Washington.

Big Apple Con welcomes Lori Petty as a featured guest March 5th at the Penn Pavilion in NYC!

Lori is an American actress, film director and screenwriter. She is best known for playing Tyler Endicott in Point Break, Kit Keller in A League of Their Own , and the title role in Tank Girl (film) in 1995. Petty also guest-starred in the second season, and became a recurring character in the third season of the Netflix Original Series Orange Is the New Black as Lolly Whitehill.

Petty is also known for providing the voice of the supervillain Livewire on the Warner Bros. series Superman: The Animated Series, and The New Batman Adventures.

Make sure to come out to meet Lori in this rare appearance!!

http://www.nycbm.com/#!tickets/c1qq1

The Big Apple Con Welcomes Erik Larsen!

Erik's work at DC spans Teen Titans, The Outsiders, Doom Patrol and The Adventures of Superman. He also did work with Ethan Van Sciver on Cyberfrog published by Harris Comics in the mid 90's. While at Marvel Erik Larsen replaced Todd Mc Farlane on Amazing Spider Man where he created Whiplash, Tri-Sentinel and Cardiac. On Spider Man he also added his own unique and creative flare to Venom (a never ending tongue and jaw, with an abundance of teeth and venom). When Erik left Marvel he helped to establish Image Comics. His character Savage Dragon is very popular among fans. At Image he has also created the superhero freak team Freak Force as well as Superpatriot, Vanguard, Liberty and Justice (just to name a few).

Big Apple Con Welcomes Ramona Fradon!

Ramona is an American comic book and comic strip artist, known for her work illustrating Aquaman and Brenda Starr, and co-creating the superhero Metamorpho.She also with writer Robert Bernstein co-created the sidekick Aqualad in Adventure Comics.

Fradon was inducted into the Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Fame in 2006

:roflmao:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Batman-Harley-Quinn-nn-CGC-9-2-1st-App-Harley-Quinn-In-DC-Universe-1st-Print-/201517823967?hash=item2eeb65f7df:g:jTsAAOSwhcJWOuiz

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Suicide-Squad-1-CGC-9-0-1987-NEWSSTAND-WHITE-PAGES-/201531307553?hash=item2eec33b621:g:CqgAAOSwqYBWnvLp

:roflmao:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Batman-Harley-Quinn-nn-CGC-9-2-1st-App-Harley-Quinn-In-DC-Universe-1st-Print-/201517823967?hash=item2eeb65f7df:g:jTsAAOSwhcJWOuiz

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Suicide-Squad-1-CGC-9-0-1987-NEWSSTAND-WHITE-PAGES-/201531307553?hash=item2eec33b621:g:CqgAAOSwqYBWnvLp

I'm talking about kids with run issues of raw 9.0/9.2 books that are $50 or less in 9.8.

I get $10 for 1990's run Deadpool's and run Harley Quinn books raw 9.0 to 9.4, whenever I do a show.As do most other dealer, that's what they are worth and collectors have no problem paying ten bucks a throw for those books, at any decent con.

As far as the links to my 2 BIN listings that you posted:

3 copies of that 1st book have sold for $175-$180 in GPA.

Why not have it graded?....most you can hope to get for it in raw 9.2 is $50.

I bought it in a collection, pressed it and subbed it..........it'll sell.

As far as the 2nd book....I subbed 10 copies.Got back 3 9.8's,2-3 9.6's a couple 9.4's and 2 9.0's.

I will make a profit on all of them.....actually, have given away 1 9.0 via a 100% charity listing to WWP.org eBay BIN for $99.99 shipped....a 9.6 was donated (auction ended last night) at $110 + shipping to hireheroesusa.org.

Shadroch donated $550 to WWP.org for one of my 3 9.8's.

The rest of the7 SS 1 newsstand slabs I have left, I will sell and make a profit off of.

Tickets are on sale now! To order them and find out more about the show, go to http://www.nycbm.com.'>http://www.nycbm.com.

Also check out the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/bigappleconvention for updates and the Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1458840141067933/ to join the community!

WHAT: The Big Apple Comic Con

WHEN: Saturday, March 5, 2016, 10 AM – 6 PM

WHERE: Penn Plaza Pavilion, 401 7th Ave (corner of 33rd St.) NYC

COST: Adults $20, kids 5-10 years old $10, Kids 4 – under FREE! VIP early entry $50

WEBSITE http://www.nycbm.com

Big Apple Con Welcomes Guy Dorian Sr.!

Guy had his first comic work published at Marvel Comics in “The New Warriors”. He then continued to work for Marvel for several years on such projects as M.C.P., DD, “Night Thrasher” and more. Some of his other comic work includes work on Ultra Force, Hari Kari, Bad Girls, Hakkiro Soul Quest plus many others. He has also worked on many trading card sets for both MARVEL and DC COMICS. Guy has built up his portfolio in many different fields of art, such as toy designs, trading cards, coloring books, magazine covers, stickers, billboards, newspaper comic strip ads and much, much more.

Out of curiosity...

Will the planners of the Carbo show be facilitating their talent? I know of one talent that personally confirmed he was going to be there last year but was not even on the show bill and was a surprise to his fans. For some reason he was then stuck in the back end of the show with absolutely no fanfare.

He was kind of disheartened by that. As a fan of that creator I felt bad for him.

If you know who it is then great and you guys should do right by him this year if he is returning. If the show promoters of Carbo do NOT know who I am referring to then I am not revealing it here because if he wasn't offended enough to complain then it is not an issue for me.

​NYC's Best Cosplay & Costume Contest This Saturday At Big Apple Con!

Comic Books, Celebs, Collectibles & More!

Saturday, March 5th 10am~6pm Penn Plaza Pavilion, NYC

MIKE CARBONARO’s BIG APPLE CON, New York City's longest-running Pop Culture convention, returns to PENN PLAZA PAVILION (401 7th Ave @ 33rd Street -opposite Madison Square Garden) on SATURDAY, MARCH 5, 2016 from 10am to 6pm. And CAPTAIN ZORIKH'S COSTUME CONTEST will once again bring the most amazing costumers and Cosplayers together for a fast-paced, exciting show of creative excellence!

CAPTAIN ZORIKH'S COSTUME CONTEST has been a tradition at BIG APPLE CON for over 13 years, and is now bigger than ever! Come as any character in comics, sci-fi, fantasy, horror, cartoons, anime/manga, video games, or make up your own. Sign up cards will be available on-site. The excitement begins at 3:15pm with DC and Marvel Comics themed photo shoots organized by DC Cosplayers East and the Marvel Cosplayer Network. The costume contest follows immediately after in the Globetrotter room in the basement of the PENN PLAZA PAVILION, and the grand finale is a big photo shoot for all in costume, regardless of whether they were in the costume contest or not!

Contestants may be individuals or may enter as groups. When the contest begins (about 3:50pm), the contestants will line up, come on stage, and turn in their sign-up cards person by person and group by group. Each contestant or group will get 45 seconds to present themselves to the audience. Any pre-recorded sounds must be self-contained (you must bring your own sound system/boom box/accordion/etc). The level of audience applause will be tracked by Captain Zorikh's patented "Applause-O-Meter." Applause will be judged by volume and enthusiasm, not duration. At the end all contestants return to the stage for the Parade of Costumes, and then the winners will be announced and invited to come back onto the stage to receive their prizes!

Prizes and Sponsors include:

Discovery Center (home of the "Star Wars: The Power of Costume"and "The Vikings" exhibits): Several pairs of passes.

Forbidden Planet NYC: hundreds of dollars of prize merchandise.

Halloween Adventure Costume Shop: a $100 gift certificate.

High Evolution Studios: Valuable original art and signed comics.

Midtown Comics: $25 gift certificate and two for $20 each.

Also, DC Cosplayers East, the Marvel Cosplayer Network and others will be providing even more prizes!

For more Cosplay and Costume Contest updates and info, please go to: http://www.captainzorikh.com/costumecontest and the Facebook event page at: https://www.facebook.com/events/554042424762375

MIKE CARBONARO’s BIG APPLE CON will bring together top comic book creators, media celebrities, dealers, panel discussions & more in one incredible day! There will be hundreds of tables of comics, toys, posters, videos, original art, t-shirts & other collectibles, with everything from the world's rarest comics as well as the newest and coolest books for sale! For a complete list of guest appearances, programming, and to purchase advance tickets please go to: www.nycbm.com

DATE: Saturday, March 5th ~ 10am -6pm PLACE: Penn Plaza Pavilion ~ 401 7th Ave. @ 33rd St. NYC

TICKETS: $20 (adult) $10 (children 5-12, 4 and under free!) VIP Package/Early Admission: $50

TICKET PURCHASE & INFORMATION: www.nycbm.com

FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/bigappleconvention

TWITTER: https://twitter.com/ConBigApple

MIKE CARBONARO’s BIG APPLE CON will bring together top comic book creators, media celebrities, dealers, panel discussions & more in one incredible day! There will be hundreds of tables of comics, toys, posters, videos, original art, t-shirts & other collectibles, with everything from the world's rarest comics as well as the newest and coolest books for sale! For a complete list of guest appearances, programming, and to purchase advance tickets please go to: http://www.nycbm.com

DATE: Saturday, March 5th ~ 10am -6pm PLACE: Penn Plaza Pavilion ~ 401 7th Ave. @ 33rd St. NYC

TICKETS: $20 (adult) $10 (children 5-12, 4 and under free!) VIP Package/Early Admission: $50

TICKET PURCHASE & INFORMATION: http://www.nycbm.com

FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/bigappleconvention

TWITTER: https://twitter.com/ConBigApple