• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Apple Comic Con - March 5, NYC

108 posts in this topic

On Saturday, March 5, the Big Apple Con, NYC's longest-running comic book/sci-fi/fantasy/horror/pop culture convention returns to the Penn Plaza Pavilion at 401 7th Ave & 33rd St for the most exciting one-day convention ever!

Th Big Apple Con has always been home to to-name legends of the comic book industry, and this edition will be no exception. Already confirmed are Jim Steranko (Nick Fury: Agent of Shield), Neal Adams (Batman, X-Men), Eric Larsen (The Savage Dragon), Michael Linser (Cry for Dawn), and David Lloyd (V for Vendetta). There will also be dozens of independent and up-and-coming comics creators and small publishers displaying their work, showing what a vibrant and exciting city NY is for the comic book arts.

Media celebrities are also a fan favorite, and this time are being led by Jason David Frank (The original Green Power Ranger) and from the cast of the vult film “The Warriors,” David Harris, Terry Michos, Dorsey Wright, Brian Tyler, Tom Waites, and Apache Ramos.

More artists and celebrities will be announced soon. In the meantime look forward to the exciting panel programming, films, and special kids activities planned! And of course the Amazing Return of Captain Zorikh's Costume contest! Don't forget the 100's of dealer tables stocked to the ceiling with comics, toys, T-shirts, DVDs, cards, collectibles, jewelry, etc, etc, etc!

Tickets are on sale now! To order them and find out more about the show, go to http://www.nycbm.com.'>http://www.nycbm.com. Also check out the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/bigappleconvention for updates and the Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1458840141067933/ to join the community!

WHAT: The Big Apple Comic Con

WHEN: Saturday, March 5, 2016, 10 AM – 6 PM

WHERE: Penn Plaza Pavilion, 401 7th Ave (corner of 33rd St.) NYC

COST: Adults $20, kids 5-10 years old $10, Kids 4 – under FREE! VIP early entry $50

WEBSITE http://www.nycbm.com

So glad that Steranko will be attending. Whatever the reason, he no longer attends the NYCC.

I'm going to have him sign this MMMS FOOM poster -

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/uploads/GerryTurnbull/2006-11-25_151940_foomgood.jpg

(thumbs u

The reason Steranko wasn't at NYCC last year was because they never invited him. He's open about that sort of thing on his weekly, one hour twitter Q&A on Sundays at 10pm.

He was open to going but was never invited. Pity as he's a great guest, great guy and has stories of his times with Marvel.

(thumbs u

A few years ago when he wasn't there after having been there the year before, his publisher said that Jim didn't attend that year because NYCC refused to comp him a hotel room and travel expenses because he was a local creator. Not sure if that has anything to do with him not being invited in later years or not. I don't think he's been to the NYCC in 3-4 years but I may be wrong.

In any event, I'm going to get him to sign and personalize the FOOM poster, then I'm going to send it to Stan and get him to do the same. (it has Steranko art above a welcome to FOOM spiel written by Stan).

It should look awesome framed up and hanging in my office! :banana:

I hope this show is good for buying.

A good selection of dealers are there.

If you haven't been before, wear a t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops; it's hotter than Hades in there. :D

It's a good show; selling and/or buying.

You're not all that far away, you should call Mike and get a table.

FWIW, The 2015 Big Apple Con was my best show of the year, as a dealer.

I didn't have a helper with me so I didn't have a chance to do much buying but there was a lot of dealers at the show so I imagine if you hit the room hard and were intent on buying, you would do well.

I didn't have a helper with me so I didn't have a chance to do much buying but there was a lot of dealers at the show so I imagine if you hit the room hard and were intent on buying, you would do well.

I couldnt set up. Theres pizza across the street I like and killer red velvet cake in the train terminal that rules. All I need is to snag a free parking spot and I'm gonna be estatic. Driving down with Comicartfan.

I couldnt set up. Theres pizza across the street I like and killer red velvet cake in the train terminal that rules. All I need is to snag a free parking spot and I'm gonna be estatic. Driving down with Comicartfan.

Free parking in NYC? Seriously?

Across the street from the hotel is MSG. Keep on going a few blocks, there free street parking on 32nd, at least last time I was there at an event at MSG. 20 minute walk vs $40

Across the street from the hotel is MSG. Keep on going a few blocks, there free street parking on 32nd, at least last time I was there at an event at MSG. 20 minute walk vs $40

I often get spots near FIT down on 27th. I also use the meters on 9th or 10th ave, you have to go back every few hours but I usually do not stay all day anyway.

Free parking is especially easy on Sunday if you do not mind 10 minutes looking and circling.

I often get spots near FIT down on 27th. I also use the meters on 9th or 10th ave, you have to go back every few hours but I usually do not stay all day anyway.

Free parking is especially easy on Sunday if you do not mind 10 minutes looking and circling.

Although the con is on a Saturday. I gave up driving in Manhattan years ago. I'm happy to walk from the PABT.

Although the con is on a Saturday. I gave up driving in Manhattan years ago. I'm happy to walk from the PABT.

Oops, forgot Big Apple is one day since Mike sold to Wizard.

Saturday is not as easy as Sunday, but you can still find meters pretty quickly.

Saturday is not as easy as Sunday, but you can still find meters pretty quickly.

Sean, you should really consider setting up at this show.

I had 2 eight foot tables last year and did very well with my table stock.Guys were making stacks out of my $5 and $10 boxes and barely even asking for any discounts.

This would be the perfect show for you to do, to get your feet wet.

I grossed around $3200-$3300, for a 1 day show with no hotel, that is as good as it gets IMHO.

As usual, I did this show on literally NO SLEEP whatsoever and still, my setup was faaaar from perfect.I would have done another $500-$1000, if my boxes were better orginized and my wall was laid out as it should have been....at it was, I was so exhausted that I only filled up 2/3 of my wall :facepalm:

Far as wall books go, one of the first to sell was a cgc 9.8 Bats Adv 12 for $1300....and I threw in a g/vg raw French copy of #12....lol.

Course, now I kinda regret not holding onto the book longer but it was a $1500 book at the time and it was a cash sale.

Most of my sales were to collectors , which is what I want, at a show.....

I had a raw NM 98 on my wall, a stone cold 9.6 (which I had pressed)....I had about 10 guys ask to see it.

Roy (vintagecomics) looked at it once then came back around later and pulled the trigger on it at $300, which was what I was asking for it.

Gotta love that....a dozen collectors look at it and it is a dealer who winds up buying it. lol

This year, I am using the 2 months of down time I have to perfect my set up before I do any shows so I will actually/finally be able to get to a show with a killer set up, and a good night's sleep ;)

I will be splitting a couple tables this year with a buddy of mine (Joe Walsh, my show partner, who you've met a couple times) f you want to go in with us on a table for yourself, drop me a PM.

I haven't booked any space yet but will be doing so this week.

I thought he bought it back. He was at maximum exuberance on the con floor last year. :D

I thought he bought it back. He was at maximum exuberance on the con floor last year. :D

Oh, I didn't know that.

I somehow heard that he was able to do a one-day show at the same site as he has always used once a year as part of the Wizard deal. If he bought it back I would have expected more shows. But he seems to be Da'Man, so who knows what he cooked up. If there is a way to work the angles and make it happen I imagine Mike saw that from the beginning or adapted well before everyone else.