• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Apple Comic Con - March 5, NYC

108 posts in this topic

The Deadpools were beyond annoying. In a small show like this there was nowhere to go where I could not hear them shouting or singing in unison. Sometimes I think that dressing like deadpool provides an outlet for those that normally repress their ahole behavior.

I mean, I don't get it. If someone dresses like Bane, they don't run around breaking people's backs. Why can't the Deadpools control themselves?

"There is no show map. There are signs to the guests and artists, but you have to more-or-less memorize the layout of the floor. It’s easy for me, since I go there every year, but it can be disorientating for a newbie."

Seriously??? Jeez, dude, stop with the drama.

This is a book I have bid on whenever I had seen one, but never lucky enough to land one. It caught me like a mean left hook on Terry's Comics wall. It was my only purchase at the show. It's on it's way to CGC in the morning via Susan Cicconi. :wishluck: I too sold a lot more than I bought. $7200 in and $1150 for the Casper. Out of Dodge by 2:30. Oh and a few Sterenko CGC SS on a pair of Foom Magazines. Fun event, got to meet and revisit some friends. Buzzetta is even cooler in person. CAK was on another planet, I'm thinking hung over. lol.

image_zpsikqmg0u7.jpeg

Ha! Good meeting you too. Congrats on the Casper. I was impressed with Terry's Comics and will be paying closer attention to his books at future shows. He had a few things I have been looking for but was interested in finding copies in a little higher grades on the books that had my interest.

I know that CAK got there late as he was not there when all the other dealers had already set up and I too got the 'hung over' vibe. He did not seem to be too enthused with the "gift" I presented him with either. :shrug:

Nice meeting both of you cats :)

Eh...FWIW, I wasn't hung over, more like massively sleep deprived.

My show partner and I also got to the show late....as in, we didn't start setting up til 10 minutes til 9am....amongst other things, it was a CAK-up, of epic proportions :lol: but it turned out well enough.

Buzz, I got a kick out of your gift....sorry I seemed less than enthusiastic.

To show you (and Seanfingh) where my heart's at.....

I'll snap a selfie of myself , holding up your "gift" , along with an s-eating, ear to ear grin, shortly.

I hope this show is good for buying.

It's a good show; selling and/or buying.

You're not all that far away, you should call Mike and get a table.

FWIW, The 2015 Big Apple Con was my best show of the year, as a dealer.

I didn't have a helper with me so I didn't have a chance to do much buying but there was a lot of dealers at the show so I imagine if you hit the room hard and were intent on buying, you would do well.

I couldnt set up. Theres pizza across the street I like and killer red velvet cake in the train terminal that rules. All I need is to snag a free parking spot and I'm gonna be estatic. Driving down with Comicartfan.

Free parking in NYC? Seriously?

Across the street from the hotel is MSG. Keep on going a few blocks, there free street parking on 32nd, at least last time I was there at an event at MSG. 20 minute walk vs $40

I often get spots near FIT down on 27th. I also use the meters on 9th or 10th ave, you have to go back every few hours but I usually do not stay all day anyway.

Free parking is especially easy on Sunday if you do not mind 10 minutes looking and circling.

Although the con is on a Saturday. I gave up driving in Manhattan years ago. I'm happy to walk from the PABT.

Oops, forgot Big Apple is one day since Mike sold to Wizard.

Saturday is not as easy as Sunday, but you can still find meters pretty quickly.

I thought he bought it back. He was at maximum exuberance on the con floor last year. :D

Oh, I didn't know that.

I somehow heard that he was able to do a one-day show at the same site as he has always used once a year as part of the Wizard deal. If he bought it back I would have expected more shows. But he seems to be Da'Man, so who knows what he cooked up. If there is a way to work the angles and make it happen I imagine Mike saw that from the beginning or adapted well before everyone else.

When Wizard bought the brand from Mike, they tried to make Big Apple Con a super-sized show and go toe-to-toe with Reed Pop. Mike was still a big part of that show, but he was permitted to do a one-day show all his own each year, and that was the New York Comic Book Marketplace. Wizard held 3 BACs from '09 - '11, then gave up using the brand. Mike continued holding his one-day show, but got the brand back in time for '15, and continued doing his one-day show under that brand.

Out of curiosity...

Will the planners of the Carbo show be facilitating their talent? I know of one talent that personally confirmed he was going to be there last year but was not even on the show bill and was a surprise to his fans. For some reason he was then stuck in the back end of the show with absolutely no fanfare.

He was kind of disheartened by that. As a fan of that creator I felt bad for him.

If you know who it is then great and you guys should do right by him this year if he is returning. If the show promoters of Carbo do NOT know who I am referring to then I am not revealing it here because if he wasn't offended enough to complain then it is not an issue for me.

We do the best we can to promote the show and its guests as much as we can. We have a small staff but we try to make up for it with our passion. Without a name, I can only guess that you are referring to an artist who told me he was not on the website, but I know for a fact that he was on the website with all the other artists. It is possible that he just didn't see his picture among all the other artists. I tried to assure him that yes, he was there.

Thank you, all of you, who made it to he show. It is heartening and encouraging to hear how good the show was for so may of you. It was also very heart-warming to hear all the positive sentiments in advance of the show.

We were very happy with how the show wet ourselves. We had our share of fires to put out, and we hope that those who had any complaints will allow us to do what we can to make up for them.

The next Big Apple Con is coming up o March 3-4 next year. That's right, the Big Apple Con will be a TWO DAY SHOW NEXT YEAR!