• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade part III - The challenge

30 posts in this topic

And (insert drumroll here), the answer is:

hulk6label.jpg

This one had a large range of guesses, I think in part because of the complexity of grading from scans. F'rinstance, it was difficult from the scans to tell that the front URC color break is only a partial one, in that it does not extend from the top edge all the way to the right edge. Another thing about this book is the exquisite condition of the back cover, leaving all the significant defects on the front. Finally, it is tough to determine how CGC handles page tears in the final grading.

Congrats to Arexcrooke for getting this one right out of the shute! hail.gif and the several other correct guesses.

Thanks all for playing, as we move to round IV.

hulk6label.jpg

This one had a large range of guesses, I think in part because of the complexity of grading from scans. F'rinstance, it was difficult from the scans to tell that the front URC color break is only a partial one, in that it does not extend from the top edge all the way to the right edge. Another thing about this book is the exquisite condition of the back cover, leaving all the significant defects on the front. Finally, it is tough to determine how CGC handles page tears in the final grading.

Congrats to Arexcrooke for getting this one right out of the shute! hail.gif and the several other correct guesses.

here's what's weird about this to me; many folks seem to agree that the book would be a VF 8.0 WITHOUT the two torn interior pages. i'm flabergasted that there is virtually no grade reduction for them. i've gotta call CGC again today and find out the graders notes on that 4.0 book and then i'm gonna post it for all to see and speculate on...............

this will be a toughie. i had a beautiful book come back a 4.0 due to staining on interior pages, but i'm not sure how many. i'm gonna go with a 5.5......................an otherwise lovely book that would have been around a 7.5 - 8.0..........

Hey Burnt have any "mid grade" SA keys with staining you want to sell me. poke2.gifstooges.gifyay.gif

hulk6label.jpg

here's what's weird about this to me; many folks seem to agree that the book would be a VF 8.0 WITHOUT the two torn interior pages. i'm flabergasted that there is virtually no grade reduction for them. i've gotta call CGC again today and find out the graders notes on that 4.0 book and then i'm gonna post it for all to see and speculate on...............

I have to say that in assessing 8.0 acclaim.gif I did factor in the fact that I believe that there is an ever so sublte lenience on Hulk books that approach HG. I think it has to do with subjective memory and the fact that they just stand out being one of the harder HG Marvels to find in HG. It is also my assertion that gloss and eye appeal of the cover are swayign factors (as I believe they should) in determing grade. This book demonstrates that superior gloss and reflectivity on a 40+ year old book that rarely exhibits it, can in the end diminish the slight tears in 2 interior pages.

I did factor in the fact that I believe that there is an ever so sublte lenience on Hulk books that approach HG. I think it has to do with subjective memory and the fact that they just stand out being one of the harder HG Marvels to find in HG.

Yes, I used a slight Early Marvel Curve, too, and put the book at a strong 8.0/8.5 'tweener grade. I played a hunch that the page tears wouldn't detract enough to pull the book down to 7.5.

It was a good hunch for a change...

acclaim.gif